+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bathroom tie trim that goes under the tiles - problem

Bathroom tie trim that goes under the tiles - problem

I have a problem (one of many) but this one I dont know the answer to...

Bath is in the corner, there is a tile trim - but it goes under the tiles, if you know what I mean. How do i remove it ? - I presume I have to lower the bath in order to get it out ? anyone ever done it ? - any tips ? , I want to do the job myself as I like to learn so I know what to do next time

Re: Bathroom tie trim that goes under the tiles - problem

you might find it is tiled on, so the tiles might overlap the trip

depends on the type though

Try youtube there should be something on there fella

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    you might find it is tiled on, so the tiles might overlap the trip

depends on the type though
    The trim 'thing' goes up behind the tiles so I am told, I think the only way to find out is lower the bath, but that will also mean having to undo the taps as well - nothing is ever easy!!!!!

What are you actually trying to do ?

That is what is your aim and finished look ?

The tile trim that is there at the moment seems to have a leak somewhere, Ive taken the side panel of the bath off and there is water dripping down the back wall under the bath. The trim looks pretty yellowed (supposed to be white) , so I thought I would renew it.

But it looks like in order to get that trim out - Ive got to lower the bath, as the trim goes up under the tiles, if you see what I mean. That also means loosening the taps. Before I start - I just wanted to check here - all my diy jobs start by me asking here...

Quote Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
    The tile trim that is there at the moment seems to have a leak somewhere, Ive taken the side panel of the bath off and there is water dripping down the back wall under the bath. The trim looks pretty yellowed (supposed to be white) , so I thought I would renew it.

But it looks like in order to get that trim out - Ive got to lower the bath, as the trim goes up under the tiles, if you see what I mean. That also means loosening the taps. Before I start - I just wanted to check here - all my diy jobs start by me asking here...
    Seal it with mastic !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
    I have a problem (one of many) but this one I dont know the answer to...

Bath is in the corner, there is a tile trim - but it goes under the tiles, if you know what I mean. How do i remove it ? - I presume I have to lower the bath in order to get it out ? anyone ever done it ? - any tips ? , I want to do the job myself as I like to learn so I know what to do next time
    If the wall is tiled down to the edge of the bath, I'd take off a row of tiles - shouldn't be too difficult - try and get the grout out of one and the rest should come of with a bit of working. Clean them or replace with another row of different ones - it can actually look quite neat - and fit over the trim.

2 options imho

1, run a bead of silacone around the bath slightly under the trim ( they are normally flex able ) this might stop the leak, but from the impression i get, you want to change that trim anyway ( The trim looks pretty yellowed (supposed to be white) , so I thought I would renew it. ) so onto option 2

Option 2, get a new stanley knife and cut away the trim from just below the tile, it will cut just fine, just put some pressure on it

with the trim removed, you can then really seal the joint between the wall and the bath with good quality silicone, the more the merrier

then depending on the size of the gap between the Bath and the bottom of the tile, you can get some trim to cover that, they do a ceramic quad tile, this will i bet cover the gap

the other option is you do not fancy the quad tiles, is to buy some more of that plastic trim, trim the " upstand " to the gap needed and silicone it to under the tile, you will not need to remove the tile in this method ( of course its not ideal, but its a hell of a lot easier than removing tiles )