Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
And you think legalising heroin and crack will solve this problem? Mega LOLZ.
Yeah, I'd legalise every drug that's currently illegal and make them available to any adult who wish to purchase them at registered outlets where the strength/purity would be guaranteed. Factor in the cost of production and admin costs but attach no tax so as to eliminate unauthorised suppliers by denying them a profit margin. I would imagine the state could easily grow or acquire any substance that's currently sold to sell them far below current levels on the streets.

Would it result in a huge increase in addicts and with it sow an increase in associated crime? Evidence from more liberal regimes elsewhere in the world strongly suggest a resounding no to that question.

I've never been in to drugs but have known plenty who have and none are/were hopeless addicts. I believe the initial attraction for all of them was a combination of peer pressure (wanting to fit in) and the naughtiness element.

These drugs are massively popular and keeping them illegal is tying up huge resources and underpin most crime gangs for which it is their stock-in-trade. We've all seen films and documentaries about alcohol prohibition in the US and wonder how could they be so stupid to ban it when it spawned a culture of gangsterism.

As an aside, I'd also legalise and make easily available every poison there is including arsenic, strychnine, etc, because I believe people should be free to choose what they snort, swallow, smoke and inject without the threat government censure.