+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: More than 300,000 tonnes of “radioactive” mud to be dumped a mile from cardiff

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: More than 300,000 tonnes of “radioactive” mud to be dumped a mile from cardiff

*“No dose of non-naturally occurring radiation is safe." - incorrect.

20 millisieverts a year is considered safe.

It's not unsafe for me to live near Aberthaw power station, to get an X-ray, to get on a plane or to eat a banana. They all expose me to radiation.

Re: More than 300,000 tonnes of “radioactive” mud to be dumped a mile from cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley Harriott View Post
    *“No dose of non-naturally occurring radiation is safe." - incorrect.

20 millisieverts a year is considered safe.

It's not unsafe for me to live near Aberthaw power station, to get an X-ray, to get on a plane or to eat a banana. They all expose me to radiation.
    I think you are missing the point

" The Evil empire ( England ) is dumping waste ( doesn't matter what ) on the oppressed Little guy ( But with a big heart, Wales ) so Little guy has the opportunity to feel hard done by "

Surely the plan is for the dredged material to be dumped in the channel so that is scoured on the ebb tide and transported downstream rather than have it sitting on sandbanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Surely the plan is for the dredged material to be dumped in the channel so that is scoured on the ebb tide and transported downstream rather than have it sitting on sandbanks.
    I am unsure on the process if I am honest.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    I am unsure on the process if I am honest.
    The key parts from that article are McEvoy's involvement ( and he's a piece of work ) and the fact McEvoy was briefed by someone who has been a long term nuclear power critic, who can hardly be called independent in any sense of the word.

To get what they want, politicians do tend to scaremonger to attract emotional rather than logical responses.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    The key parts from that article are McEvoy's involvement ( and he's a piece of work ) and the fact McEvoy was briefed by someone who has been a long term nuclear power critic, who can hardly be called independent in any sense of the word.

To get what they want, politicians do tend to scaremonger to attract emotional rather than logical responses.

You’ve hit the nail on the head. This is merely limelight-grabbing from a politician who knows that he is despised by his own colleagues. He will be kicked out of Plaid very soon hopefully. All the same I am glad that the issue has been raised as it deserves further investigation.

I did a lot of work with the Stop Hinckley group a few years ago and the construction of a new nuclear power station is the big issue, not the mud.

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    You’ve hit the nail on the head. This is merely limelight-grabbing from a politician who knows that he is despised by his own colleagues. He will be kicked out of Plaid very soon hopefully. All the same I am glad that the issue has been raised as it deserves further investigation.

I did a lot of work with the Stop Hinckley group a few years ago and the construction of a new nuclear power station is the big issue, not the mud.
    If you've ever had the misfortune of watching council webcasts of meetings, McEvoy deal in emotions not facts. Could start an argument in a phone box.* When Plaid kick him out, he''l probably become a Tory - after all, he's running out of parties to join.

* Ok, not many phone boxes around so not the best analogy.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I think you are missing the point

" The Evil empire ( England ) is dumping waste ( doesn't matter what ) on the oppressed Little guy ( But with a big heart, Wales ) so Little guy has the opportunity to feel hard done by "
    The government have broken multiple promises in recent weeks/months for wales yet still you look to defend them.

You're dismissing my attempt to even comment on the subject. That tells you the welsh mentality from some.

The people saying the waste is fine are people involved in the move.

I'll wait for more articles to surface before blindly cheerleaders the tories.

That is before you go into the fact no ordinary person even wants it other than the tories flogging it for a quick buck:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...heresa-may-hs2

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    The government have broken multiple promises in recent weeks/months for wales yet still you look to defend them.

I'll wait for more articles to surface before blindly cheerleaders the tories.
    I hate the Tory Government, always have, i expect I always will