+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: More than 300,000 tonnes of “radioactive” mud to be dumped a mile from cardiff

Re: More than 300,000 tonnes of “radioactive” mud to be dumped a mile from cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    PROBABLY!!!!! IMO The Hinckley project is a massive mistake although it will sustain 1,000's of well paid jobs, far too much risk with Nuclear Power, going down the path that the government has, at the very least it should not have involved the Chinese and French. I note other countries are returning to coal fired power stations, The UK has plenty of the stuff and a workforce capable of mining it, I would like to see the UK free of Nuclear anything and leading the world with energy solutions based on the natural resources that we have, Water & Wind a lot of it, energy policy is being shaped by short term business (profit for the few) and not for future generations, 3 mile island, chenobyl, fukushima, how long before we get the real biggy ?
    I work in Nuclear power and people's reactions like this always seem a bit bizzare to me. The Uk currently has 15 working nuclear power reactors, one right next to where HPC is being built. The safety standards in this country are unbelievabley tight and there is no way they would be allowed to operate if they were unsafe.

Chernobyl was a completely different reactor and they turned off all the safety functions and the positive coefficient of reactivity meant it didn't just shut itself down like ours would.

Fukishima other than the the operators who were killed by the wave on site there hasn't been one nuclear related death due to the crisis management being so good. It should be noted as well that the sea wall being too short and the generators being in the basement was pointed out as an issue multiple times but due to the how Japanese Hierachies are they never followed up on it.

It seems bizarre you are worried about nuclear waste but want a return to coal power stations which produce a much more radioactive biproduct which cannot be reprocessed unlike uranium. That's ignoring how damaging to the enviroment burning coal every day it.

There have been 100s of Nuclear power plants operated in the UK, France, Germany and Scandanavia with zero issues ever. The only reason other countries have gone back to coal is it is an easy win for any government due to the scewed public perception of how dangerous nuclear power is. It's viewed in the same way as plane crashes because of how destructive the odd crash every 10s of years can be people only look at the consequences and not how unlikely something going wrong actually is.

Re: More than 300,000 tonnes of “radioactive” mud to be dumped a mile from cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I work in Nuclear power and people's reactions like this always seem a bit bizzare to me. The Uk currently has 15 working nuclear power reactors, one right next to where HPC is being built. The safety standards in this country are unbelievabley tight and there is no way they would be allowed to operate if they were unsafe.

Chernobyl was a completely different reactor and they turned off all the safety functions and the positive coefficient of reactivity meant it didn't just shut itself down like ours would.

Fukishima other than the the operators who were killed by the wave on site there hasn't been one nuclear related death due to the crisis management being so good. It should be noted as well that the sea wall being too short and the generators being in the basement was pointed out as an issue multiple times but due to the how Japanese Hierachies are they never followed up on it.

It seems bizarre you are worried about nuclear waste but want a return to coal power stations which produce a much more radioactive biproduct which cannot be reprocessed unlike uranium. That's ignoring how damaging to the enviroment burning coal every day it.

There have been 100s of Nuclear power plants operated in the UK, France, Germany and Scandanavia with zero issues ever. The only reason other countries have gone back to coal is it is an easy win for any government due to the scewed public perception of how dangerous nuclear power is. It's viewed in the same way as plane crashes because of how destructive the odd crash every 10s of years can be people only look at the consequences and not how unlikely something going wrong actually is.
    Sod coal, sod nuclear. Both (not so slowly) killing the planet. Wales could be a world leader in renewables. But no, the UK Government wants to stick to their market obsessed ideology to the extent that the Chinese and French are given cast iron contracts to print money if they build new nuclear plants.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a7226991.html

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...clear-accident

Sorry yeah I forgot about windscale but even then it wasn’t the disaster people make out even though it was an old out of date site.

Thé new plants especially are built to such a high safety standard. Nuclear coupled with renewables are the future. Much cleaner than fossil fuels especially now a lot of the waste can be repurposed.

It’s a shame they all aren’t being built by British companies but unless we want rolling blackouts they’re necessary and will create 1000s if jobs too.

I am a bit biased but I’ve been to 10s of sites around the world and the level of security and safety around them these days is crazy. Look at the reaction to Fukushima, incredible that no one else was killed.

Why are people thinking this story is just McEvoy scaremongering? I make it there are quotes from four other people in it, as well as one from a spokesman from EDF.

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    A week? I did twelve years. The guy is an absolute narcissist.
    I wouldn't wish that fate on anyone