+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More than 300,000 tonnes of “radioactive” mud to be dumped a mile from cardiff

More than 300,000 tonnes of “radioactive” mud to be dumped a mile from cardiff

How convenient for the government. They've got that shit hole attached to england where no one will complain to dump their rubbish.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...severn-estuary

More than 300,000 tonnes of “radioactive” mud, some of it the toxic byproduct of Britain’s atomic weapons programme, will be dredged to make way for England’s newest nuclear power station and dumped in the Severn estuary just over a mile from Cardiff.

Politicians in Wales have denounced the move, with one accusing the Welsh government of selling out to London and the nuclear lobby. They have called on ministers to commit to further radiological tests before giving consent for the process, which is crucial for the construction of Hinkley Point C across the estuary in Somerset.

In 2013, an assessment by the Centre for Environment Fisheries and Aquaculture Sciences found that tests on the mud, carried out under International Atomic Energy Agency procedures, revealed only minimal levels of radioactivity, well within safety guidelines. “From radiological considerations, there is no objection to this material being dredged and dumped,” the assessment concluded.

But John Thomas, leader of the Vale of Glamorgan Council, said concerns had been raised about the adequacy of the assessment. He has called for an urgent meeting with Natural Resources Wales, which approved the dredging licence, and the Welsh government.

An independent marine pollution researcher, Tim Deere-Jones, who is also a prominent nuclear power critic, has warned that the dumped sediment could re-concentrate into more powerful radioactive material and be washed ashore in storm surges. “We know sediment in mudflats can dry out and blow ashore and that fine sediment with radioactivity attached can transfer to the land in marine aerosols and sea spray,” Deere-Jones said. Studies of north Wales tidal surges, he added, had revealed that the deposited mud and sand were heavily contaminated with radioactivity from Sellafield.

The mud to be dredged contains 50-year-old deposits from Hinkley Point A, where radioactive material for Britain’s atomic weapons was produced. Nuclear historian Dr David Lowry said some of the plutonium produced at the plant was sent to the US in a controversial and confidential exchange. “That deal is coming back to haunt today’s nuclear industry as plans for the third generation of nuclear plants at Hinkley are literally running into the sparkling radioactive mud,” Lowry said.

The dredging licence was granted to EDF, the company building the new plant, in 2013. It gives the French energy giant the right to discharge materials at Cardiff Grounds, a sandbank in the Bristol Channel. EDF needs to clear the sediment to allow barges to bring in construction materials.

Neil McEvoy, Plaid Cymru Welsh Assembly member, who has received a briefing from Deere-Jones, said dredging should be suspended until a full environmental impact assessment had been carried out. A petition has gained enough signatures to force the assembly to debate the issue. “The problem lies with the unknown,” McEvoy said. “No dose of non-naturally occurring radiation is safe. What we have here is big business trampling over Wales, with a Welsh government doffing its cap to London and the nuclear industry,” he said. “The Welsh national interest is not being served here. The public is outraged that this material will be dumped in Cardiff’s waters, and washed around the Welsh coast, with transfer of radioactivity from sea to land.”

An EDF spokesman said: “We have undertaken a number of assessments as part of this application which concluded the activities pose no threat to human health or the environment. All activities on our sites are strictly controlled and regulated by a number of statutory bodies to ensure the environment and public are protected.”

John Wheadon, of Natural Resources Wales, said: “There are strict conditions in the licence to test the sediment, including a radiological assessment, before it can be deposited. We will only allow the work to start if we’re confident the activity will not harm people and the environment.”

Re: More than 300,000 tonnes of “radioactive” mud to be dumped a mile from cardiff

Why can't they just put it in Bristol Docks then if it must go somewhere, They wouldn't notice three eyed fish swimming around. They don't notice a 6 fingered chap rowing from Henley On Thames to visit in laws. Makes sense.

Re: More than 300,000 tonnes of “radioactive” mud to be dumped a mile from cardiff

*“No dose of non-naturally occurring radiation is safe." - incorrect.

20 millisieverts a year is considered safe.

It's not unsafe for me to live near Aberthaw power station, to get an X-ray, to get on a plane or to eat a banana. They all expose me to radiation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley Harriott View Post
    *“No dose of non-naturally occurring radiation is safe." - incorrect.

20 millisieverts a year is considered safe.

It's not unsafe for me to live near Aberthaw power station, to get an X-ray, to get on a plane or to eat a banana. They all expose me to radiation.
    I think you are missing the point

" The Evil empire ( England ) is dumping waste ( doesn't matter what ) on the oppressed Little guy ( But with a big heart, Wales ) so Little guy has the opportunity to feel hard done by "

Surely the plan is for the dredged material to be dumped in the channel so that is scoured on the ebb tide and transported downstream rather than have it sitting on sandbanks.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I think you are missing the point

" The Evil empire ( England ) is dumping waste ( doesn't matter what ) on the oppressed Little guy ( But with a big heart, Wales ) so Little guy has the opportunity to feel hard done by "
    The government have broken multiple promises in recent weeks/months for wales yet still you look to defend them.

You're dismissing my attempt to even comment on the subject. That tells you the welsh mentality from some.

The people saying the waste is fine are people involved in the move.

I'll wait for more articles to surface before blindly cheerleaders the tories.

That is before you go into the fact no ordinary person even wants it other than the tories flogging it for a quick buck:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...heresa-may-hs2

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Surely the plan is for the dredged material to be dumped in the channel so that is scoured on the ebb tide and transported downstream rather than have it sitting on sandbanks.
    I am unsure on the process if I am honest.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    The key parts from that article are McEvoy's involvement ( and he's a piece of work ) and the fact McEvoy was briefed by someone who has been a long term nuclear power critic, who can hardly be called independent in any sense of the word.

To get what they want, politicians do tend to scaremonger to attract emotional rather than logical responses.

A report I read about this stated that the testing had only been carried out on the surface of the silt, up to 5cm down iirc.
    It said that although the amount of radioactivity found at this surface level was within acceptable limits that past experience from testing deeper in radioactive silt, at other locations around the world, had often shown much higher levels of radioactivity.
    The report urged EDF to have tests carried out deeper in the silt (it is several feet deep) but their (EDF"s) response was that the testing they had had carried out met with UK government criteria

The government have broken multiple promises in recent weeks/months for wales yet still you look to defend them.

I'll wait for more articles to surface before blindly cheerleaders the tories.
    I hate the Tory Government, always have, i expect I always will

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    The key parts from that article are McEvoy's involvement ( and he's a piece of work ) and the fact McEvoy was briefed by someone who has been a long term nuclear power critic, who can hardly be called independent in any sense of the word.

To get what they want, politicians do tend to scaremonger to attract emotional rather than logical responses.

You’ve hit the nail on the head. This is merely limelight-grabbing from a politician who knows that he is despised by his own colleagues. He will be kicked out of Plaid very soon hopefully. All the same I am glad that the issue has been raised as it deserves further investigation.

I did a lot of work with the Stop Hinckley group a few years ago and the construction of a new nuclear power station is the big issue, not the mud.

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    You’ve hit the nail on the head. This is merely limelight-grabbing from a politician who knows that he is despised by his own colleagues. He will be kicked out of Plaid very soon hopefully. All the same I am glad that the issue has been raised as it deserves further investigation.

I did a lot of work with the Stop Hinckley group a few years ago and the construction of a new nuclear power station is the big issue, not the mud.
    If you've ever had the misfortune of watching council webcasts of meetings, McEvoy deal in emotions not facts. Could start an argument in a phone box.* When Plaid kick him out, he''l probably become a Tory - after all, he's running out of parties to join.

* Ok, not many phone boxes around so not the best analogy.

I hate to intrude on the usual Welsh paranoia but the material will probably be deposited so that it moves downstream passing Somerset, Devon and Cornwall too.

I hate to intrude on the usual Welsh paranoia but the material will probably be deposited so that it moves downstream passing Somerset, Devon and Cornwall too.
    Phew that's o.k then cause all I care about is Cardiff and absolutely nothing else. At all.

That's a smart move. Any radioactivity could well help resolve the defective genes in prevalent those areas.

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    Phew that's o.k then cause all I care about is Cardiff and absolutely nothing else. At all.
    Except for the people watching me of course.

Not at all. It's a point of questioning scaremongering, something McEvoy has a history of doing.

Any decision needs to be made upon facts, not emotion.

I was being ironic in reply to Genie calling Welsh folk paranoid. Who wouldn't care about this. Never mind.

I was being ironic in reply to Genie calling Welsh folk paranoid. Who wouldn't care about this. Never mind.
    There is a degree of paranoia, though.

We've a situation near us, been ongoing for well over a decade in terms of problems. Made our case logically, evidence based. McEvoy presented a petition for something not even in his ward, like most of the people on that "side" had no idea of any of the evidence, facts just dealt on an emotional level.

There is a degree of paranoia, though.

We've a situation near us, been ongoing for well over a decade in terms of problems. Made our case logically, evidence based. McEvoy presented a petition for something not even in his ward, like most of the people on that "side" had no idea of any of the evidence, facts just dealt on an emotional level.
    When you explain it like that i can see what you are saying but NIMBYism is every where, think that's the point I was making. McEvoy courts this kind of thing does he? Can't say I have looked into him but I skim through his name from time to time in local news.

When you explain it like that i can see what you are saying but NIMBYism is every where, think that's the point I was making. McEvoy courts this kind of thing does he? Can't say I have looked into him but I skim through his name from time to time in local news.
    The claim of "NIMBYism" is thrown around far too easily, a case of attacking the person rather than the argument when the person has no response to evidence ( not accusing you of that btw ).

McEvoy - 2011, accused Welsh Women's Aid of "publicly funded child abuse", claimed they supported women breaking court orders over child access for fathers. Plaid suspended him, let him back in with apology.

Again in 2011 Councillor Michael Michael ( can't stand Labour but this guy has a great sense of humour ) put out leaflets of Del Boy with McEvoy's face on it. McEvoy sued for libel - only to withdraw the case in 2015. Left him with a large legal bill and liable for defence costs, I think Cllr Michael has/had a charge over his house?

Sits as councillor as well as assembly member - hmm, two incomes there, something he's been opposed to.

The whole bullying stuff is fairly well documented too.

In short, he's a blithering idiot with an overly developed sense of importance whilst lacking the self-awareness to grasp he lacks the ability or talent to be worthy of having an ego.

The claim of "NIMBYism" is thrown around far too easily, a case of attacking the person rather than the argument when the person has no response to evidence ( not accusing you of that btw ).

McEvoy - 2011, accused Welsh Women's Aid of "publicly funded child abuse", claimed they supported women breaking court orders over child access for fathers. Plaid suspended him, let him back in with apology.

Again in 2011 Councillor Michael Michael ( can't stand Labour but this guy has a great sense of humour ) put out leaflets of Del Boy with McEvoy's face on it. McEvoy sued for libel - only to withdraw the case in 2015. Left him with a large legal bill and liable for defence costs, I think Cllr Michael has/had a charge over his house?

Sits as councillor as well as assembly member - hmm, two incomes there, something he's been opposed to.

The whole bullying stuff is fairly well documented too.

In short, he's a blithering idiot with an overly developed sense of importance whilst lacking the self-awareness to grasp he lacks the ability or talent to be worthy of having an ego.
    So he is a bit like what was his name? Sean Stringer? One time Vale of Glamorgan council leader. He was a dodgy sort wasn't He?

So he is a bit like what was his name? Sean Stringer? One time Vale of Glamorgan council leader. He was a dodgy sort wasn't He?
    Oh the amount of dealings I had with Sean at the time i was working for the VOG, if i ever had a issue, i would cut the middle management out and go straight to see him, it always worked