+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: More than 300,000 tonnes of “radioactive” mud to be dumped a mile from cardiff

Re: More than 300,000 tonnes of “radioactive” mud to be dumped a mile from cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I hate to intrude on the usual Welsh paranoia but the material will probably be deposited so that it moves downstream passing Somerset, Devon and Cornwall too.
    PROBABLY!!!!! IMO The Hinckley project is a massive mistake although it will sustain 1,000's of well paid jobs, far too much risk with Nuclear Power, going down the path that the government has, at the very least it should not have involved the Chinese and French. I note other countries are returning to coal fired power stations, The UK has plenty of the stuff and a workforce capable of mining it, I would like to see the UK free of Nuclear anything and leading the world with energy solutions based on the natural resources that we have, Water & Wind a lot of it, energy policy is being shaped by short term business (profit for the few) and not for future generations, 3 mile island, chenobyl, fukushima, how long before we get the real biggy ?

Re: More than 300,000 tonnes of “radioactive” mud to be dumped a mile from cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Oh the amount of dealings I had with Sean at the time i was working for the VOG, if i ever had a issue, i would cut the middle management out and go straight to see him, it always worked
    You could always leave his bung in his partner's corner shop on the Dock View Road. Or he could leave you yours, hypothetically speaking of course under the custard slices with wasps stuck in the icing under the glass counter there. So somebody told me in the Corry club.

Quote Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
    I havent had time to read all the details, BUT from what it seems - Neil McEvoy is the source / distributor of this story - is that correct ?

Have the details been confirmed by anyone else, GreenPeace, Friends of the Earth - or even any Govt policy monitoring group etc.

I would not trust anything McEvoy says - he always seems to be a sensationalist campaigner with the ability to add stuff to the story to make it a bigger story - and in return get him the headlines he coverts.

Kicked out of Labour, banned from Plaid - soon to be kicked out again it seems.

If anyone has any other non McEvoy reports etc - can you post the links
    McEvoy will probably join a new "centre right" Welsh nationalist party. The new party is likely to be formed following a meeting in Aberystwyth which will take place on 4th November. It has been called by Royston Jones, aka Jacothenorth, who I believe is a long-term admirer of McEvoy. McEvoy's lawyer will be in attendance. McEvoy himself has been completely silent on the matter. He will be attending Plaid's conference in Caernarfon next weekend, probably hoping for a welcome back into the fold. That is very unlikely to happen so he will probably jump ship within the next month - if he isn't expelled from Plaid first.
    http://jacothenorth.net/blog/new-party/

Having read through that link, I give that "new party" two weeks before it implodes / splinters.

If Royston is a long-term admirer of McEvoy, as you claim, then I'd lower that timescale to one week.

I hate to intrude on the usual Welsh paranoia but the material will probably be deposited so that it moves downstream passing Somerset, Devon and Cornwall too.
    Apologies for hoping for more details on this.

I should have known my place as a non entity welshman that should accept whatever the english based goverment do.

As of course, they will always do what is the best interests of wales.

How silly of me to even contemplate querying it.

By the way, I've never voted plaid in my life, so this isn't someone that is a die hard secessionist. Well, I am not even saying it is wrong in the first place really, just some clarity?.

No more paddling down Ogmore Bay for me then.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    How convenient for the government. They've got that shit hole attached to england where no one will complain to dump their rubbish.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...severn-estuary

More than 300,000 tonnes of “radioactive” mud, some of it the toxic byproduct of Britain’s atomic weapons programme, will be dredged to make way for England’s newest nuclear power station and dumped in the Severn estuary just over a mile from Cardiff.

Politicians in Wales have denounced the move, with one accusing the Welsh government of selling out to London and the nuclear lobby. They have called on ministers to commit to further radiological tests before giving consent for the process, which is crucial for the construction of Hinkley Point C across the estuary in Somerset.

In 2013, an assessment by the Centre for Environment Fisheries and Aquaculture Sciences found that tests on the mud, carried out under International Atomic Energy Agency procedures, revealed only minimal levels of radioactivity, well within safety guidelines. “From radiological considerations, there is no objection to this material being dredged and dumped,” the assessment concluded.

But John Thomas, leader of the Vale of Glamorgan Council, said concerns had been raised about the adequacy of the assessment. He has called for an urgent meeting with Natural Resources Wales, which approved the dredging licence, and the Welsh government.

An independent marine pollution researcher, Tim Deere-Jones, who is also a prominent nuclear power critic, has warned that the dumped sediment could re-concentrate into more powerful radioactive material and be washed ashore in storm surges. “We know sediment in mudflats can dry out and blow ashore and that fine sediment with radioactivity attached can transfer to the land in marine aerosols and sea spray,” Deere-Jones said. Studies of north Wales tidal surges, he added, had revealed that the deposited mud and sand were heavily contaminated with radioactivity from Sellafield.

The mud to be dredged contains 50-year-old deposits from Hinkley Point A, where radioactive material for Britain’s atomic weapons was produced. Nuclear historian Dr David Lowry said some of the plutonium produced at the plant was sent to the US in a controversial and confidential exchange. “That deal is coming back to haunt today’s nuclear industry as plans for the third generation of nuclear plants at Hinkley are literally running into the sparkling radioactive mud,” Lowry said.

The dredging licence was granted to EDF, the company building the new plant, in 2013. It gives the French energy giant the right to discharge materials at Cardiff Grounds, a sandbank in the Bristol Channel. EDF needs to clear the sediment to allow barges to bring in construction materials.

Neil McEvoy, Plaid Cymru Welsh Assembly member, who has received a briefing from Deere-Jones, said dredging should be suspended until a full environmental impact assessment had been carried out. A petition has gained enough signatures to force the assembly to debate the issue. “The problem lies with the unknown,” McEvoy said. “No dose of non-naturally occurring radiation is safe. What we have here is big business trampling over Wales, with a Welsh government doffing its cap to London and the nuclear industry,” he said. “The Welsh national interest is not being served here. The public is outraged that this material will be dumped in Cardiff’s waters, and washed around the Welsh coast, with transfer of radioactivity from sea to land.”

An EDF spokesman said: “We have undertaken a number of assessments as part of this application which concluded the activities pose no threat to human health or the environment. All activities on our sites are strictly controlled and regulated by a number of statutory bodies to ensure the environment and public are protected.”

John Wheadon, of Natural Resources Wales, said: “There are strict conditions in the licence to test the sediment, including a radiological assessment, before it can be deposited. We will only allow the work to start if we’re confident the activity will not harm people and the environment.”
    Look on the brightside. Cardiff anglers will have their fish pre-cooked.

The problem, as I see it, ignoring anything to do with Neil McEvoy et al, is that EDF have no idea how radioactive this mud actually is, as they have only had the top 5cms tested.
    Deeper it could still be within limits or it could be massively over accepted limits, no one knows.
    It seems that no further testing is going to be taking place & the stakeholders have agreed to have this 300,000 tonnes dumped just off Cardiff.
    If it transpires later that beneath this top 5cms the mud is indeed above legal radiation limits then it will be to late as 300,000 tonnes of it will have already been dumped off Cardiff & will be polluting The Bristol Channel with no way of any remedial action being taken as it will have been dispersed over a massive area as The Bristol Channel has the second biggest tidal range in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    McEvoy will probably join a new "centre right" Welsh nationalist party. The new party is likely to be formed following a meeting in Aberystwyth which will take place on 4th November. It has been called by Royston Jones, aka Jacothenorth, who I believe is a long-term admirer of McEvoy. McEvoy's lawyer will be in attendance. McEvoy himself has been completely silent on the matter. He will be attending Plaid's conference in Caernarfon next weekend, probably hoping for a welcome back into the fold. That is very unlikely to happen so he will probably jump ship within the next month - if he isn't expelled from Plaid first.
    "The lower ground floor room I’ve booked will hold 50 – 60 people plus a table for 6 or 7 speakers facing the audience. (Possibly more at a squeeze.) This room is to the right of the reception desk." Bit optimistic

Probably. Should be fine then.

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    You could always leave his bung in his partner's corner shop on the Dock View Road. Or he could leave you yours, hypothetically speaking of course under the custard slices with wasps stuck in the icing under the glass counter there. So somebody told me in the Corry club.
    That's Tracey's shop now and the Corry went about 20years ago!! Keep up Joe ffs!

[QUOTE=Steve R;4795220]That's Tracey's shop now and the Corry went about 20years ago!! Keep up Joe ffs! [/QUOTE

She got a mad laugh that Tracey. You know exactly what I talking about Steve. Plus she got a no wasp policy on the custard slices there, I had a clean one last time. Shame about the Corry mind.

[QUOTE=joecity;4795233]
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    That's Tracey's shop now and the Corry went about 20years ago!! Keep up Joe ffs! [/QUOTE

She got a mad laugh that Tracey. You know exactly what I talking about Steve. Plus she got a no wasp policy on the custard slices there, I had a clean one last time. Shame about the Corry mind.
    fkd the quote thing up. never mind.

[QUOTE=joecity;4795234]

fkd the quote thing up. never mind.
    lol

Who are you?

I was being ironic in reply to Genie calling Welsh folk paranoid. Who wouldn't care about this. Never mind.
    I think you missed the point. It wasn't about people being concerned but certain posters thinking that it was about dumping on the Welsh, a common theme on here (as and as if other regions of the UK aren't deprived in various ways).

"How convenient for the government. They've got that shit hole attached to england where no one will complain to dump their rubbish."

I think you missed the point. It wasn't about people being concerned but certain posters thinking that it was about dumping on the Welsh, a common theme on here (as and as if other regions of the UK aren't deprived in various ways).

"How convenient for the government. They've got that shit hole attached to england where no one will complain to dump their rubbish."
    Aah point taken. See what you saying. Still a good idea to run it along the West way. Sorry Genie. I'm traditional like that. Good luck mate.

I'd be happy with dumping it 40 or so miles west, tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    I'd be happy with dumping it 40 or so miles west, tbh.
    Can't we just do half n half like with chips n rice? Half down Somerset n Devon coats other half Ccrca Swansea miss Pembrokeshire cause its nice n maybe join back up again around Lundy and make its way to America

Quote Originally Posted by headlight View Post
    The problem, as I see it, ignoring anything to do with Neil McEvoy et al, is that EDF have no idea how radioactive this mud actually is, as they have only had the top 5cms tested.
    Deeper it could still be within limits or it could be massively over accepted limits, no one knows.
    It seems that no further testing is going to be taking place & the stakeholders have agreed to have this 300,000 tonnes dumped just off Cardiff.
    If it transpires later that beneath this top 5cms the mud is indeed above legal radiation limits then it will be to late as 300,000 tonnes of it will have already been dumped off Cardiff & will be polluting The Bristol Channel with no way of any remedial action being taken as it will have been dispersed over a massive area as The Bristol Channel has the second biggest tidal range in the world.
    Hence my comment about the dredged material being deposited in such a way that it would be scoured westwards on the ebb tide if it deposited in the right place in the channel. (By the way, it now seems that it's not only the Bay of Fundy that has a greater tidal range but a number of other locations, all in Canada, have a greater tidal range too.)

I think I shot from the hip a bit with my first comment...

It just annoyed me with the recent stories of U turns from the government.

Would you trust a Tory government to cover the shortfall from the loss of EU funding?.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    I think I shot from the hip a bit with my first comment...

It just annoyed me with the recent stories of U turns from the government.

Would you trust a Tory government to cover the shortfall from the loss of EU funding?.
    U-turns happen with all political parties as they often promise to deliver what is unaffordable or what becomes unaffordable.
    However, I don't really partake in party political comments on here as people tend to settle into one camp or another and it all becomes a bit Punch and Judy and/or predictable. Dredging is the new politics

U-turns happen with all political parties as they often promise to deliver what is unaffordable or what becomes unaffordable.
    However, I don't really partake in party political comments on here as people tend to settle into one camp or another and it all becomes a bit Punch and Judy and/or predictable. Dredging is the new politics
    https://actions.sumofus.org/a/edf-to...1.11&source=fb

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    You were half right, I'd imagine this lot will become a new party be the end of the year: https://www.propel.wales/ McEvoy will be out of Plaid soon and one of the other speakers, Gwyn Hopkins, was suspended by Plaid

In terms of the party's ideology, who knows? I did a week's work experience with McEvoy and nothing from him or his staff indicated right wing tendencies, he even gave me a list of books he suggested me to read with included Homage to Catalonia & works by Marx & Engels

Saying that, the bloke's an opportunist, so who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    You were half right, I'd imagine this lot will become a new party be the end of the year: https://www.propel.wales/ McEvoy will be out of Plaid soon and one of the other speakers, Gwyn Hopkins, was suspended by Plaid

In terms of the party's ideology, who knows? I did a week's work experience with McEvoy and nothing from him or his staff indicated right wing tendencies, he even gave me a list of books he suggested me to read with included Homage to Catalonia & works by Marx & Engels

Saying that, the bloke's an opportunist, so who knows?
    A week? I did twelve years. The guy is an absolute narcissist.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    Look on the brightside. Cardiff anglers will have their fish pre-cooked.
    With the chance of some very large and very weird looking catches
    Some with legs maybe