+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Positives / negatives from the Brum game...

Blue in the Face

Positives / negatives from the Brum game...

Some food for thought that might be worthy of debate here.

We need Gunnar more than we realise. Bamba in midfield is for emergency only - great in lots of aspects of the game, but passing and positioning show it's not his natural position. Midfielders in midfield please Neil. The space between midfield and defence was very poor at times against Brum. Our defensive line stayed deep because Brum have great pace up top, but our midfield didn't adapt to this. Bamba should have played as an out and out anchor man and allowed Ralls to roam more, but Bryson should've been coming deeper. Brum pressed us very well in the middle though for about an hour.

Think part of the reason Bamba may have been used in midfield again is because Manga has been excellent since coming back into the team and doesn't deserve to be dropped over Morrison or Bamba for me. (I'm sure many will disagree). Neil needs to make the right choice. He can't play all three with this formation, but Manga is in very good form. I think Morrison isn't quite at his usual high standard. Is Morro droppable? I suspect not.

For his hundreds of posts of vomit, Jizzshit of Brizzle has a point about Tomlin. The fact that Neil didn't use him against Brum is a very bad sign. When Tomlin has come on he has looked a bit of a rougue. The skill is there to see, but seems an individual not part of the team. Could playing him more resolve this? If his court case and it goes his way and yet still doesn't play over the next five, we'll try and move him on in Jan, surely.

NML gave us a rare bad game. Shows how essential he has become to us. His stepovers are usually very effective, but sometimes he just needs to realise that he's simply quicker than players in this division and doesn't need them.

Etheridge looking more comfortable with every game. Still think he's an excellent kicker all in all.

Neil didn't look happy with Peltier at the end. Paterson looks as though he may be match fit. Our left hand side is much more effective than our right, which is because Bennet is a top full back.

Big Ken was excellent against Brum. Was I the only one who thought this?? I was paying particular attention to Ken as I had a theory which is that he struggles when the ball is on the right hand side and has a problem when planting his left foot when using his right. This theory is nonsense, he's just been on bad form and finally looks to be getting some form back. The one player who the international break might have done some good for. Keep it up Ken.

Re: Positives / negatives from the Brum game...

I found it hard to take any positives out of Friday - suppose it was a positive that we only lost by one .

I agree the very little we did right going forward usually had Zohore involved somewhere and somebody mentioned to me while I was walking the dog this lunchtime that he thought Bennett didn't do bad, but that performance concerned me - especially coming after such a lifeless attacking showing against Derby.

The main positive I think is it gives us a huge wake up call.

Morrison and Bamba is our best combination. Manga has played well but I'd still go with the pair. Bamba is OK in CM but he was shocking on Friday, we didn't play at all well. I'd play Damour, Ralls and Bryson in future. They're all energetic and can sit back as required. Morrison is a Warnock favourite, I would be very shocked to see him get dropped.

Playing on Friday didn't help, Hoilett (I think), Manga and Etheridge were all playing half way round the world on Tuesday/Wednesday so wouldn't have got back until Thursday.

Paterson still isn't fit, I suspect he'll be in the side from November but will be eased in. We need to remember he's had major surgery and we can't rely on him to play 2 times a week or 90 mins every game straight away. That Peltier shot though, wow.

Etheridge is OK but his kicking is a concern for me. He's done fine and couldn't save the goal but that needs to be worked on. Quite why he flicked it up to clear I don't know. He's hardly put a foot wrong recently though and was far from our worst player on Friday.

Tomlin looks like a flop, Warnock doesn't seem to trust him. These things happen but I'm surprised of all the signings that he's the one that hasn't come off. Despite his history, he's always performed well at times for his old clubs but NW doesn't seem to want to give him a chance. I think Warnock envisaged playing 3-4-2-1 or similar, but NML and Hoilett have forced his hand. Also, Jursset rated Tomlin when he was there, as most Bristol City fans did. He's predictably slagged him off when he moved.

Zohore did well for someone isolated as well. Zohore's right foot still isn't "cultured" though, I think I'm right in saying all his goals have been headers or left footed shots.

Important we don't panic after one result but we could really do with a win on Saturday. 9 points from our last 6 games is mid table in the extreme so that has to be a concern. Still, any one of us would have taken 24 points from 12 games. 2 points a game, and with my pessimistic hat on, nearly half way to 50 points!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Some food for thought that might be worthy of debate here.

We need Gunnar more than we realise. Bamba in midfield is for emergency only - great in lots of aspects of the game, but passing and positioning show it's not his natural position. Midfielders in midfield please Neil. The space between midfield and defence was very poor at times against Brum. Our defensive line stayed deep because Brum have great pace up top, but our midfield didn't adapt to this. Bamba should have played as an out and out anchor man and allowed Ralls to roam more, but Bryson should've been coming deeper. Brum pressed us very well in the middle though for about an hour.

Think part of the reason Bamba may have been used in midfield again is because Manga has been excellent since coming back into the team and doesn't deserve to be dropped over Morrison or Bamba for me. (I'm sure many will disagree). Neil needs to make the right choice. He can't play all three with this formation, but Manga is in very good form. I think Morrison isn't quite at his usual high standard. Is Morro droppable? I suspect not.

For his hundreds of posts of vomit, Jizzshit of Brizzle has a point about Tomlin. The fact that Neil didn't use him against Brum is a very bad sign. When Tomlin has come on he has looked a bit of a rougue. The skill is there to see, but seems an individual not part of the team. Could playing him more resolve this? If his court case and it goes his way and yet still doesn't play over the next five, we'll try and move him on in Jan, surely.

NML gave us a rare bad game. Shows how essential he has become to us. His stepovers are usually very effective, but sometimes he just needs to realise that he's simply quicker than players in this division and doesn't need them.

Etheridge looking more comfortable with every game. Still think he's an excellent kicker all in all.

Neil didn't look happy with Peltier at the end. Paterson looks as though he may be match fit. Our left hand side is much more effective than our right, which is because Bennet is a top full back.

Big Ken was excellent against Brum. Was I the only one who thought this?? I was paying particular attention to Ken as I had a theory which is that he struggles when the ball is on the right hand side and has a problem when planting his left foot when using his right. This theory is nonsense, he's just been on bad form and finally looks to be getting some form back. The one player who the international break might have done some good for. Keep it up Ken.

Good post.

I was disappointed in Bryson. The game completely passed him by for the first half an hour, I watched it on iFollow and I didn't even know he was playing until the commentator mentioned his name around the half hour mark. I think Demour needs to come back in, I find him more constructive than Bryson, who at times runs around like a headless chicken but no real end product.

In the first five games of the season we played nice, fast paced football, with lots of movement. Now instead of passing the ball crisply around the field our games seems to be bogged down by long, lofted, throw ins from both Peltier, Morrison and Gunnarsson ... there's no rhythm anymore and those lofted throw ins are not too difficult to defend. Andy Legg could whip those long throws in with pace on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Andy Legg could whip those long throws in with pace on them.
    I don't think we should criticise our players for not being Leggy. He had a gift.

We only lost one nil , shipping lots of goals may mean the difference between an au

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I found it hard to take any positives out of Friday - suppose it was a positive that we only lost by one .

I agree the very little we did right going forward usually had Zohore involved somewhere and somebody mentioned to me while I was walking the dog this lunchtime that he thought Bennett didn't do bad, but that performance concerned me - especially coming after such a lifeless attacking showing against Derby.
    I always think Bennett does well. Think that makes me a Bennett-bummer. I think a Prem team will trigger that £2m clause in Jan if we don't get him to sign a new contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I was disappointed in Bryson. The game completely passed him by for the first half an hour, I watched it on iFollow and I didn't even know he was playing until the commentator mentioned his name around the half hour mark. I think Demour needs to come back in, I find him more constructive than Bryson, who at times runs around like a headless chicken but no real end product.

In the first five games of the season we played nice, fast paced football, with lots of movement. Now instead of passing the ball crisply around the field our games seems to be bogged down by long, lofted, throw ins from both Peltier, Morrison and Gunnarsson ... there's no rhythm anymore and those lofted throw ins are not too difficult to defend. Andy Legg could whip those long throws in with pace on them.
    Was surprised we didn't see Damour in the game. I think we have to play Bryson when we can, but you're right he was anonumous for a chunk of the game. Think Brum deserve credit for that. When the midfield was malfunctioning as it was, we should look to make fixes quicker.

I did like Ken coming really deep to receive the ball though, thought that was very effective. So long as his team mates are aware someone has to hang off the back of the defence to keep the stretched when he does it.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Morrison and Bamba is our best combination. Manga has played well but I'd still go with the pair. Bamba is OK in CM but he was shocking on Friday, we didn't play at all well. I'd play Damour, Ralls and Bryson in future. They're all energetic and can sit back as required. Morrison is a Warnock favourite, I would be very shocked to see him get dropped.

Playing on Friday didn't help, Hoilett (I think), Manga and Etheridge were all playing half way round the world on Tuesday/Wednesday so wouldn't have got back until Thursday.

Paterson still isn't fit, I suspect he'll be in the side from November but will be eased in. We need to remember he's had major surgery and we can't rely on him to play 2 times a week or 90 mins every game straight away. That Peltier shot though, wow.

Etheridge is OK but his kicking is a concern for me. He's done fine and couldn't save the goal but that needs to be worked on. Quite why he flicked it up to clear I don't know. He's hardly put a foot wrong recently though and was far from our worst player on Friday.

Tomlin looks like a flop, Warnock doesn't seem to trust him. These things happen but I'm surprised of all the signings that he's the one that hasn't come off. Despite his history, he's always performed well at times for his old clubs but NW doesn't seem to want to give him a chance. I think Warnock envisaged playing 3-4-2-1 or similar, but NML and Hoilett have forced his hand. Also, Jursset rated Tomlin when he was there, as most Bristol City fans did. He's predictably slagged him off when he moved.

Zohore did well for someone isolated as well. Zohore's right foot still isn't "cultured" though, I think I'm right in saying all his goals have been headers or left footed shots.

Important we don't panic after one result but we could really do with a win on Saturday. 9 points from our last 6 games is mid table in the extreme so that has to be a concern. Still, any one of us would have taken 24 points from 12 games. 2 points a game, and with my pessimistic hat on, nearly half way to 50 points!
    I'd really like to see Bamba-Manga. I'm not knocking Morrison, I really rate him. Just think Bamba Manga are more in form. I don't think Neil will change it though. Morrison to his credit is always a great presence on the pitch.

I wonder if Paterson might be fit now? He didn't feature for the DVP team today. Shame Jazz is injured as Neil doesn't have many choices for full back.

Good point about Tomlin and formation. Hadn't thought of that. Perhaps the intentions was to build the side around him more. Usually by this point I'd still have blind optimism for a signing like this, but I don't this time round. Hope Tomlin can prove us wrong, but he CV suggests that this won't happen. We've just arrived to a pessimistic perspective with the player quicker than his other clubs.

Hopefully one positive is Warnock won't be so negative in future and we'll actually play with a proper 4-2-3-1 rather than the 3 workers in central midfield we currently employ.