+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Non Football it's anout dogs

Non Football it's anout dogs

Any dog owners on here use raw food? I been told it's the one. If not can you suggest a food mix that will sort my pack out? Genuine first hand testimony off this site welcome. 2 busy patterdale type's n an even busier Jack cross. Thanks

Re: Non Football it's anout dogs

we tried Raw, both from scratch ( its a pita to do ) ,in the ready made form from a pet shop and in a ready made form from the Butchers ( just add veg )

was it any cheaper, no not really
    did they produce less waste, yes it was noticable

why did we change, well dried food is just so easy, a cup each meal time and its done

so we looked and researched dried food, tried them from pets at home, they do a few, the own brand stuff wasnt great, its branded wainwrights, but on the bag says its made for " pets at home "

we then won a voucher for £25 of a bag of royal canin at a dog show, best puppy in show as it happens, so we tried RC, very nice food, hardly any waste, they do specific food for each breed if you want, or just general food, its pricey though, was costing us £150 a month for our 4 dogs

then at another show ( down in cornwal ) alot of the agility folk were using CSJ, they have independent sellers around the country, we then won a small bag for being placed, so tried that as treats, the dogs loved it, we asked around and a few were using it
    much cheaper at about £50 a month, slightly more waste, but saving a ton a month i can live with that

we use Sooper Dooper Champ by CSJ, its a slightly higher protein, ours love it and we recommend it to others who also say they love it

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    we tried Raw, both from scratch ( its a pita to do ) ,in the ready made form from a pet shop and in a ready made form from the Butchers ( just add veg )

was it any cheaper, no not really
    did they produce less waste, yes it was noticable

why did we change, well dried food is just so easy, a cup each meal time and its done

so we looked and researched dried food, tried them from pets at home, they do a few, the own brand stuff wasnt great, its branded wainwrights, but on the bag says its made for " pets at home "

we then won a voucher for £25 of a bag of royal canin at a dog show, best puppy in show as it happens, so we tried RC, very nice food, hardly any waste, they do specific food for each breed if you want, or just general food, its pricey though, was costing us £150 a month for our 4 dogs

then at another show ( down in cornwal ) alot of the agility folk were using CSJ, they have independent sellers around the country, we then won a small bag for being placed, so tried that as treats, the dogs loved it, we asked around and a few were using it
    much cheaper at about £50 a month, slightly more waste, but saving a ton a month i can live with that

we use Sooper Dooper Champ by CSJ, its a slightly higher protein, ours love it and we recommend it to others who also say they love it
    1 of mine got bad skin. Its linked to diet I think and fresh cut grass. Behaves well enough but I trying to eradicate skin probs through diet. He is a top boy. He wouldn't win no shows and he watches far too much sh*t on the tele with his nose pressed up to the screen and nearly knocks it over but that's just him. Thanks for the tips.

My dog watches me eat fruit and wonders what the feck i'm doing. The girls will take a bit of apple, carrot but the dog just thinks I'm a c*ck when i try n give him any thing that is remotely healthy in any way.

About three weeks ago, my puppy started producing runny and bloody stools. I was very alarmed by this and my mood wasn't improved when I saw things on messageboards basically saying it's parvo virus and your dogs a goner. However, experience has taught me that messageboards can be full of self appointed "experts" who actually know very little about the subject that they are giving us the benefit of their wisdom, so I wanted far more proof than that. Eventually, I came across two videos produced by registered vets which, essentially said that, while bloody and runny stools can be a symptom of something very serious, there was far more chance that it was nothing to worry about - especially in puppies that are showing no other symptoms of distress (mine seemed fine except for the issue with the stools). Indeed one of them said that before taking your puppy to the vet it would be worthwhile putting them on a diet based on boiled white rice flavoured with chicken stock for a couple of days to see if that stopped the problem - it did in my puppies case and it's not returned since.

Now, the relevance of all of this to the subject being discussed here is that it seems that, for the first eight weeks of my puppy's life, her diet consisted, almost entirely, of Pedigree Chum puppy food. Back in the 70s when we first had a dog in the family, Pedigree Chum was considered to be a cut above other dog foods and I can remember it being recommended to us by a vet back then when he
    was asked what we should feed the young dog we had bought from the old pet shop upstairs in the market.

Any research you do now on Pedigree Chum is pretty damning with the most generous reviews I came across placing it in the "fair" category, so I was determined to wean my puppy off it as quickly as I could - looking back, I'm pretty sure this was a factor in the problem with her stools. I didn't help by stupidly buying her my previous dog's (that i had taken on at the age of six) favourite snack which I'm sure contributed to the problem, but also my attempt to improve the quality of her food by giving her a tinned puppy food (costing three times as much as Chum does) full of what was advertised as genuine meat products - from what I can see, sometimes such foods are too rich for young dogs.

So, the upshot is that my puppy still has Pedigree Chum as one of her three meals of the day, along with James Wellbeloved complete puppy food (highly recommended online and by the sales staff in Pets at Home I spoke to who were scathing about Chum) and cooked chicken.

My first three dogs were, basically, fed on a combination of tinned dog food not considered to be as good as Pedigree Chum and whatever when it was considered suitable for them included the one out of the six dogs I've had before this one that lived the longest life and another that, I'm fairly sure, lived for the second longest time, whereas my last three dogs were all fed what are now considered to be more "dog friendly" diets and none of them have lived what would be considered a long life by dog standards, albeit one of them died after being hit by a car at the age of seven - I can't say I saw an improvement in general health and liveliness when compared to the three earlier dogs either.

So, although I've seen and heard enough positive stuff about James Wellbeloved food to make it part of my dog's diet for the rest of her life (it's quite expensive, but not terribly so and, from what I can see is often the subject of special offers which encourage buying in bulk), I'm slightly sceptical about the "modern" recommended dog diet - seems to me that, just like with humans, there's a lot of fadism about.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    About three weeks ago, my puppy started producing runny and bloody stools. I was very alarmed by this and my mood wasn't improved when I saw things on messageboards basically saying it's parvo virus and your dogs a goner. However, experience has taught me that messageboards can be full of self appointed "experts" who actually know very little about the subject that they are giving us the benefit of their wisdom, so I wanted far more proof than that. Eventually, I came across two videos produced by registered vets which, essentially said that, while bloody and runny stools can be a symptom of something very serious, there was far more chance that it was nothing to worry about - especially in puppies that are showing no other symptoms of distress (mine seemed fine except for the issue with the stools). Indeed one of them said that before taking your puppy to the vet it would be worthwhile putting them on a diet based on boiled white rice flavoured with chicken stock for a couple of days to see if that stopped the problem - it did in my puppies case and it's not returned since.

Now, the relevance of all of this to the subject being discussed here is that it seems that, for the first eight weeks of my puppy's life, her diet consisted, almost entirely, of Pedigree Chum puppy food. Back in the 70s when we first had a dog in the family, Pedigree Chum was considered to be a cut above other dog foods and I can remember it being recommended to us by a vet back then when he
    was asked what we should feed the young dog we had bought from the old pet shop upstairs in the market.

Any research you do now on Pedigree Chum is pretty damning with the most generous reviews I came across placing it in the "fair" category, so I was determined to wean my puppy off it as quickly as I could - looking back, I'm pretty sure this was a factor in the problem with her stools. I didn't help by stupidly buying her my previous dog's (that i had taken on at the age of six) favourite snack which I'm sure contributed to the problem, but also my attempt to improve the quality of her food by giving her a tinned puppy food (costing three times as much as Chum does) full of what was advertised as genuine meat products - from what I can see, sometimes such foods are too rich for young dogs.

So, the upshot is that my puppy still has Pedigree Chum as one of her three meals of the day, along with James Wellbeloved complete puppy food (highly recommended online and by the sales staff in Pets at Home I spoke to who were scathing about Chum) and cooked chicken.

My first three dogs were, basically, fed on a combination of tinned dog food not considered to be as good as Pedigree Chum and whatever when it was considered suitable for them included the one out of the six dogs I've had before this one that lived the longest life and another that, I'm fairly sure, lived for the second longest time, whereas my last three dogs were all fed what are now considered to be more "dog friendly" diets and none of them have lived what would be considered a long life by dog standards, albeit one of them died after being hit by a car at the age of seven - I can't say I saw an improvement in general health and liveliness when compared to the three earlier dogs either.

So, although I've seen and heard enough positive stuff about James Wellbeloved food to make it part of my dog's diet for the rest of her life (it's quite expensive, but not terribly so and, from what I can see is often the subject of special offers which encourage buying in bulk), I'm slightly sceptical about the "modern" recommended dog diet - seems to me that, just like with humans, there's a lot of fadism about.
    Baxter's complete ....... complete and utter rubbish according to my vet

How often do you feed your dog's

When I had my old fella who was 16 when he died , we used to give him one medium sized bowl of those all in one hard biscuits at 6 o clock every day and always made sure his water bowl was full , we tried to give him those sticks to chew on to keep his teeth healthy but the idiot used to just go and bury them in the mud in the back yard

It's the first time I've had a puppy and I've been told that she should have three, or even four, meals a day - I give her three. Once she stops growing, I'll cut that back to what I've always given my dogs, which is a smallish breakfast and a main meal around tea time.

It's the first time I've had a puppy and I've been told that she should have three, or even four, meals a day - I give her three. Once she stops growing, I'll cut that back to what I've always given my dogs, which is a smallish breakfast and a main meal around tea time.
    Last dog I remember you having was the chocolate brown male ? Was he a la cross? Around the Tim my mate did some decorating for you ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Last dog I remember you having was the chocolate brown male ? Was he a la cross? Around the Tim my mate did some decorating for you ?
    Yeah that was Tanner and he was a cross, lovely natured dog, but you had to always keep him on a lead when he was out because he'd just go running all over the place uncontrolled otherwise. He's the one who got hit by a car shortly after he was able to bolt out of the house after a visitor left the front door open for a few seconds - it was about two years after your mate did the decorating.

Yeah that was Tanner and he was a cross, lovely natured dog, but you had to always keep him on a lead when he was out because he'd just go running all over the place uncontrolled otherwise. He's the one who got hit by a car shortly after he was able to bolt out of the house after a visitor left the front door open for a few seconds - it was about two years after your mate did the decorating.
    So sorry to hear that mate

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    So sorry to hear that mate
    Thanks Guy's Im going to look into it some more. I suppose it's just like people and certain foods suit certain dogs. They have cooked chicken once a day with some Butchers. A few biscuits in the morning. I am quite soft with the treats tho so maybe it's them. I got them down to almost nowt recently. It's only my dog. The bitches are fine. Vet gave me some steroids for him n that takes it down but I want to try n avoid using them too much. Thanks again.

How did dogs cook food in the wild?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    With great difficulty.

Specially adapted dog barbecues.

From Lidl.

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    With great difficulty.
    On a Spit perhaps

Dogs were the first to discover fire, and they taught us how to do it when we domesticated them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
    What puppy did you get Bob and where from ?

We are possibly on the look out for a small dog, son wants a minature dashaund or shitsu , I was just thinking of popping down the rescue dogs place on penarth road or there is a place in Caerphilly apparently ... - any suggestions ?
    Mica's about 90 per cent Staffy I've been told. I've seen her parents, the father is a pure Blue and the mother is a black and white and looks a lot like my previous dog, Ruby, who was 100 per cent Staffy, but this one is a cross.

I took a risk and bought her on Gumtree - this thread

http://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.php...highlight=dogs

tells why I won't go to Cardiff Dog's Home again and I'd recommend that you try the two you mentioned before them - there's also a place near Bridgend that might be worth a try.

my 3 year old lab is on a barf (raw food) diet and he seems really health . We use Berrywood food or food that comes in a sausage shape. My gf parents order in for us as they have 2 labs.

http://www.njboxers.com/top-50-barf-...beginners.html

4 for puppies upto about 15 months ( for a medium sized dog )

breakfast = Scrambled eggs
    Lunch = what you are feeding
    Tea = as Lunch
    Supper = rice pudding