+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wales off to China in March?

Wales off to China in March?

Re: Wales off to China in March?

And a tasty looking friendly against France in Paris next month

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41651607

Time to keep our FIFA ranking as high as possible.

From a purely selfish point of view I hope this goes ahead. I would have travelled anywhere within China to see Wales play, I live in Guangxi province and Nanning, where they're planning on playing, is the capital of Guangxi - it's about one and a half hours by train from my home.

There was a time with the Welsh national team where friendlies were pointless. We knew who our big players were, and we didnt want to annoy their clubs by pulling them out all the time. We wanted to keep our ranking up as high as possible to aid qualifications. We achieved both of these aims.

However time has moved on now, and the aim is now simply to retain second pot status, to keep us in with a chance of qualification. What we need now are some friendlies so we can try out the likes of Woodburn, Ampadu and Brooks, try them in systems and formations, and if they do well they then have belief that they can play at international level.

On that basis im all for Wales playing in these types of tournaments

The Toulon tournament was fantastic for us and something similar at senior level would be brilliant too, but is this that? This is a 12,000 mile round trip in conditions where it's unlikely we will see the best football.

China may not be the right opportunity for us. The most difficult decision for a while.