+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Grassroots Youth Football

Grassroots Youth Football

I was wondering if anyone else on this message board coached kids football.
    This season I've started coaching the under 8's side that my son plays for.

My question is, how do you decide who gets how much match time?
    The ability varies so much between my players, there are some who would hold their own 1-2 age groups higher and others who can barely kick the ball. In an ideal world I'd play my strongest side and bring on the weaker players for a few minutes here and there. I have a large squad of 13 (under 8's play 5 vs 5, 4 x 10 min quarters) which means to give each player an equal amount of game time (as stipulated by the FA) I'm changing the whole team for each quarter. I've tried mixing the able kids with the less able but that is just like having less players on the pitch. I've also tried playing the best players together and the 'developing' players together but then any lead the better players have, gets squandered.
    Has anyone else had any experience in this, and if so, how did you manage it?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Grassroots Youth Football

Quote Originally Posted by Glos Blue View Post

The ability varies so much between my players, there are some who would hold their own 1-2 age groups higher and others who can barely kick the ball. In an ideal world I'd play my strongest side and bring on the weaker players for a few minutes here and there. I have a large squad of 13 (under 8's play 5 vs 5, 4 x 10 min quarters) which means to give each player an equal amount of game time (as stipulated by the FA) I'm changing the whole team for each quarter. I've tried mixing the able kids with the less able but that is just like having less players on the pitch. I've also tried playing the best players together and the 'developing' players together but then any lead the better players have, gets squandered.

Thanks in advance.
    coached under 10’s to under 16’s.

The players were great about everything. The parents were the only problem. Great times. As they get older, the6 understand and as long as the6 get some game time In a Successful the6 are happy. Parents always not.

pretty much agree with nick the parents were the problem not the youngsters at that age . when I was running the under 8 section you would turn up and play 3 different clubs - 20 minute games . so if we knew one team was strong we would play our strongest team . Against the lesser teams I would play the less skilled players . seemed to work but it can be difficult if you got a big squad and of course at that age it's supposed to be non competitive but try telling that to the kids !!! lol

Thanks in advance.
    I kept a spreadsheet and ensured all the lads had more or less the same time on the pitch, teams picked depending on opposition but over each month period, all had same time which, was documented if any of the parents thought otherwise.

I've been coaching kids for the last three seasons, now at U9s. At the younger ages you really have to forget about whether the team is winning games, that's not important, it's about allowing the kids to get as much time as possible playing the game regardless of ability. At junior level the coaches are there to facilitate this. I've seen so many coaches that think they are Alex Ferguson shouting at 7 year olds on the pitch, substituting them if they concede a goal etc.

At U7 we used to have 8 players, and we'd simply have rolling subs right the way through the games, all getting pretty much equal time, and not having them sitting around on the side of the pitch
    getting cold and bored, which is going to put them off playing. We had one or two lads that appeared to have very little ability at that age, but are now blossoming because they've been playing and training week in week out, one of them got player of the season last year.

As far as parents go, we've got a great bunch. We told them right from the start what we wanted to do, and they have supported us all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

The players were great about everything. The parents were the only problem. Great times. As they get older, the6 understand and as long as the6 get some game time In a Successful the6 are happy. Parents always not.
    I can relate to that, the kids are all great and just happy to play. Some of the parents are very needy and think their child is the next Ronaldo.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    I've been coaching kids for the last three seasons, now at U9s. At the younger ages you really have to forget about whether the team is winning games, that's not important, it's about allowing the kids to get as much time as possible playing the game regardless of ability. At junior level the coaches are there to facilitate this. I've seen so many coaches that think they are Alex Ferguson shouting at 7 year olds on the pitch, substituting them if they concede a goal etc.

At U7 we used to have 8 players, and we'd simply have rolling subs right the way through the games, all getting pretty much equal time, and not having them sitting around on the side of the pitch
    getting cold and bored, which is going to put them off playing. We had one or two lads that appeared to have very little ability at that age, but are now blossoming because they've been playing and training week in week out, one of them got player of the season last year.

As far as parents go, we've got a great bunch. We told them right from the start what we wanted to do, and they have supported us all the way.
    That sound ideal and with under 8's being uncompetitive it should be easy. We lost our first two games 16-1, all the kids got equal match time yet two parents took their kids to other teams on the back of those results as they said the less able children were 'dragging' their sons down!!
    The kids also don't get much confidence from being hammered week in, week out. It's a tricky conundrum!

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    I kept a spreadsheet and ensured all the lads had more or less the same time on the pitch, teams picked depending on opposition but over each month period, all had same time which, was documented if any of the parents thought otherwise.
    I use an app on my iPad which records playing time and you can log events like goals, assists, saves etc. At the end of the season I can give the parents all of the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

Totally agree.

Somehow I got lumbered with my lads team about 18 years ago.

Spent 8 years seeing them through from u8’s up to u16’s and as you say, they were great times.

As for the parents, I decided early doors that I wasn’t to going to put up with any shit from them.

Think you’re kid isn’t getting enough time on the pitch - take them somewhere else then. Think it’s ok to scream abuse at little kids - piss off home and don’t come back. Think you’re Alex Ferguson - feel free to help out rather than stand on the sidelines then.

We lost a few kids due to the parents but that’s down to them. Even had one nine year old ask me if I could tell his dad not to come any more. The parents that took it on board we’re good as gold as theyknew the score - you’re there to support and encourage your kid and if you’re willing to pitch in then great.

As for the op I’d say this - when they’re starting out it’s all about building something. Make all the kids feel part of it - you’d be surprised what a bit of self belief and togetherness can bring to kids of that age. Of course the kids want to win but you’ve got to allow the less able kids time to improve and the only way they’ll do that is by training and playing. When I first started with my lot we were hopeless and lost nearly every game. All I ever told them was if we kept trying and stuck together as a team then we’ll get better. By the time we packed it in the closest we got to winning anything was a cup final where we lost 4-2, but without sounding too cheesy, those kids are now men who forged strong friendships in that team and have (some) brilliant memories from their childhoods. To me that’s worth more than any winners medal.

That sound ideal and with under 8's being uncompetitive it should be easy. We lost our first two games 16-1, all the kids got equal match time yet two parents took their kids to other teams on the back of those results as they said the less able children were 'dragging' their sons down!!
    The kids also don't get much confidence from being hammered week in, week out. It's a tricky conundrum!
    Oh god, the sort of parents that are playing the game through their kids, there's plenty of them What team doesn't have players with varying ability, especially at that age? If anything the less able kids need more time not less, or to just be sub every game.
    I'd recommend youth coaching to anyone, it's been an absolute joy to see the boys gradually build confidence, improve, and become a team. We got four teams at U9 and haven't lost a single player, in fact we've got a waiting list big enough to run another two teams, just need more volunteers to help with coaching.

Thanks for all the replies and advice, it's all very appreciated.
    I'll stick at it giving them all equal game time. It's such a rewarding experience and I'd love to see them all develop through the age-groups.
    Most of the parents have been great and very supportive; they know I stepped up when we found ourselves without a coach and how much time and effort I devote to the team and I've only got their boys best interests at heart. The parents who don't see that have gone, I just feel sorry for their kids who I feel will suffer in the long run.

I manage an under 15 team. We are one of the weaker teams and have lost good players because we lose a lot more than we win as we give all players good game time. However there comes a time when we will be uncompetitive if we keep losing our better lads.
    So I am giving all players a similar number of matches but giving the better players between 60 to 80 minutes and the weaker ones 40 to 50. If the parents don’t like it tough. They can manage the team next season if they so wish.

Thanks for all the replies and advice, it's all very appreciated.
    I'll stick at it giving them all equal game time. It's such a rewarding experience and I'd love to see them all develop through the age-groups.
    Most of the parents have been great and very supportive; they know I stepped up when we found ourselves without a coach and how much time and effort I devote to the team and I've only got their boys best interests at heart. The parents who don't see that have gone, I just feel sorry for their kids who I feel will suffer in the long run.
    They will but there’s only so much you can do. In my experience those kids will turn up at another team and moan at their coach that their little superstar isn’t being given centre stage. Sadly the kid will probably decide it’s easier to just not play anymore. Unfortunately some parents are dicks but as you say, most are supportive and appreciate what you do.

Keep up the good work and follow your instincts.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I manage an under 15 team. We are one of the weaker teams and have lost good players because we lose a lot more than we win as we give all players good game time. However there comes a time when we will be uncompetitive if we keep losing our better lads.
    So I am giving all players a similar number of matches but giving the better players between 60 to 80 minutes and the weaker ones 40 to 50. If the parents don’t like it tough. They can manage the team next season if they so wish.
    To be honest, when they get to 14/15 kids know who the better players are and as long as you give the others an opportunity to come off the bench and show they deserve to start then that’s fair enough. Most parents understand that. The ones who don’t obviously don’t understand the game so just ignore their shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    To be honest, when they get to 14/15 kids know who the better players are and as long as you give the others an opportunity to come off the bench and show they deserve to start then that’s fair enough. Most parents understand that. The ones who don’t obviously don’t understand the game so just ignore their shit.
    That’s the point I think. They are old enough now to know the reality. Sadly we have a little lad who is pretty hopeless. He turns up to training but I cannot offer him a place in the squad as he would be such a weak link. We find it hard enough to win and I just cannot piss our good players off by letting him join. I feel bad about but but he just does not seem to realise how weak he is.
    Having said all that we have a squad of 18 with others wanting to join whilst some clubs are struggling to get a team of 11 on the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    That’s the point I think. They are old enough now to know the reality. Sadly we have a little lad who is pretty hopeless. He turns up to training but I cannot offer him a place in the squad as he would be such a weak link. We find it hard enough to win and I just cannot piss our good players off by letting him join. I feel bad about but but he just does not seem to realise how weak he is.
    Having said all that we have a squad of 18 with others wanting to join whilst some clubs are struggling to get a team of 11 on the pitch.
    We had a lad like that. To make it worse he was a twin and his brother was one of the better players. He was a really nice kid, he turned up to training every week but he just wasn’t very good. It was ok when they were little but it got harder when they went up to 11 as side and he didn’t have a clue. I used to just be honest with him, I never told him he was terrible - just that we had better kids there in his position. Truth be told he didn’t have a position, we just used to put him on the wing out of harms way.
    What I used to do was only put him on when we were losing by a few so that it didn’t cost us the game, but it’s hard when you’ve got one kid left as a sub and you don’t use him.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post

I’ve been coaching various age groups and abilities for quite a few years now and pretty much agree with everything Barry says.He makes a good point of setting your stall out early with the parents and letting them know that results are secondary and your priority is to develop every kid you’re working with.After that, the parents can make their own decision whether they wish to keep their kid with you or not.Ive always said, your kids will learn more from losing than being the side that turns everyone over week in week out,it’s all about problem solving and decision making at that age,and will stand them in good stead for later on when they move on to competitive football.