+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Spains military style government

Spains military style government

Not allowing Catalonia to be independent when over 90% voted for it. Shameful - a democracy?

Re: Spains military style government

I've a sneaky feeling that all the directives are coming from the EU

90% voted independent, but only 43% voted.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    A decent cross section

The riot police may have put the other 57% off to be fair

Not too dissimilar to the Welsh devolution vote then

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    The riot police may have put the other 57% off to be fair
    ^^^^^This, the other 57% were busy trying to avoid having their heads smashed in by a bunch of military trained thugs!

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    ^^^^^This, the other 57% were busy trying to avoid having their heads smashed in by a bunch of military trained thugs!
    Or...

"No" voters weren't going to go out & queue for hours to vote (multiple times) when they could just get on with their lives & let it all blow over.

Quote Originally Posted by Minion View Post
    Not allowing Catalonia to be independent when over 90% voted for it. Shameful - a democracy?
    And what about the democrat voice of those who don't want independence , they took took to the streets asking to remain in Spain , do they deserve a democratic voice .

It reminds me of Brexit and the forgotton % who wanted to remain and the silly % who voted out as an anti goverment kick up the arse protest vote , and those who didn't, thinking we would not vote out , the same thing happened with our last election .

I supect if our last two votes were re run they would be starkly different results ,protest votes are somtimes moments of pique,or old v young or just hatred of a political party even if they delivering sensible policy .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    And what about the democrat voice of those who don't want independence , they took took to the streets asking to remain in Spain , do they deserve a democratic voice .

It reminds me of Brexit and the forgotton % who wanted to remain and the silly % who voted out as an anti goverment kick up the arse protest vote , and those who didn't, thinking we would not vote out , the same thing happened with our last election .

I supect if our last two votes were re run they would be starkly different results ,protest votes are somtimes moments of pique,or old v young or just hatred of a political party even if they delivering sensible policy .
    A lot of non-Catalans were "put there" to dilute the culture, I'm not sure of the exact numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

This is why they need an actual referendum

The same nationalism as brexit but apparently these are freedom fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I've a sneaky feeling that all the directives are coming from the EU
    Of course you do

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    The same nationalism as brexit but apparently these are freedom fighters.
    As far as I'm aware there wasn't riot police outside the polling stations for the Brexit vote

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    As far as I'm aware there wasn't riot police outside the polling stations for the Brexit vote
    No there wasn't.

As a vote was cast in the house of commons to put the vote to the people.