+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The best English manager competing in Europe

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: The best English manager competing in Europe

Fair play, Ostersunds managed to finish their European run with a win at the Emirates over Arsenal, if it wasn't for the disaster of the first leg then it could have been a different story.

Their league finished in November so before the first leg they hadn't had a competitive game for months, surely a huge disadvantage for the Nordic teams in Europe.

Now the European run is over, I can see Potter making a jump pack into the English game.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Fair play, Ostersunds managed to finish their European run with a win at the Emirates over Arsenal, if it wasn't for the disaster of the first leg then it could have been a different story.

Their league finished in November so before the first leg they hadn't had a competitive game for months, surely a huge disadvantage for the Nordic teams in Europe.

Now the European run is over, I can see Potter making a jump pack into the English game.
    No doubts he's been a major success there, but I wonder if he's better off staying? He's clearly got some quite alternative methods when it comes to management, but he's been in a position where had things not worked so well it wouldn't have mattered. Imagine him going to a club needing immediate results. Would he be given the time he'd need to be a success? I doubt it. He'd be leaving a job where he is God for a job where he'd likely be a complete failure.

I imagine bigger clubs are looking at him but if he hasn't got to move, he's probably best off staying put.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    No doubts he's been a major success there, but I wonder if he's better off staying? He's clearly got some quite alternative methods when it comes to management, but he's been in a position where had things not worked so well it wouldn't have mattered. Imagine him going to a club needing immediate results. Would he be given the time he'd need to be a success? I doubt it. He'd be leaving a job where he is God for a job where he'd likely be a complete failure.

I imagine bigger clubs are looking at him but if he hasn't got to move, he's probably best off staying put.
    On the other hand, he could earn many times his current salary by moving

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    On the other hand, he could earn many times his current salary by moving
    Indeed, but for how long?

I'm thinking that had it been about money, he would probably already have gone.

I think he'll only move for the right job, not just any job that pays lots more.

Indeed, but for how long?

I'm thinking that had it been about money, he would probably already have gone.

I think he'll only move for the right job, not just any job that pays lots more.
    Assuming the managers salaries vary similarly to the players salaries, if he moved to a championship club he could expect to earn 4-5 times what he's on in Sweden.
    Say he gets a 3 year contract and even if he's a failure he'll earn what he earns in 12-15 years in Sweden.
    Chances are another club would give him a go even then.

I don't think I could turn down that kind of money.

Not sure exactly how far his stock has risen, but if a premier league club comes knocking next then the pay difference becomes a lot bigger maybe 10-20 (my estimates) times what he is on now.

While I am inclined to agree, there's no loyalty in football so he's got to do what's best for him. I wouldn't turn down a job over here on a wedge just to stay in Sweden. He could just as easily get sacked over there.