+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steak Night

Steak Night

I'm cooking steak at home now as one night a week is always a dedicated steak night, without fail. Out of interest, what goes well with a steak for you?

For me, it's always medium-rare seasoned with salt, pepper, Lea & Perrins and garlic powder, with chips, onions, brown mushrooms, garlic and covered with a garlic and butter sauce with either orange juice or a beer and a good film. Maybe some bread and butter on the side.

Richyrich

Re: Steak Night

Have fillet/sirloin steak with Maggi so sizzling caramelised steak with red peppers, red onions and rice. MMMMmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Richyrich View Post
    Have fillet/sirloin steak with Maggi so sizzling caramelised steak with red peppers, red onions and rice. MMMMmmmm.
    I see you're a connoisseur, sir. But isn't rice a little dry to have with a steak?

Richyrich

Maggi is a sauce. Google "maggi so sizzling steak" buddy. My copy and paste is broken at mo.

Like you, used to love it with mushrooms etc but since trying maggi's... have it once a fortnight if poss.

Fillet - Medium
    Chips
    Onions and peppers
    Peppercorn sauce
    Cheesy garlic bread
    Pint

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Blue View Post
    I see you're a connoisseur, sir. But isn't rice a little dry to have with a steak?
    Birdseye Mediterranean rice is lovely with steak.

For me.. medium rare with peppercorn sauce and chips, partial to onion rings and like it with a side salad...

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Fillet - Medium
    Chips
    Onions and peppers
    Peppercorn sauce
    Cheesy garlic bread
    Pint
    This

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Fillet - Medium
    Chips
    Onions and peppers
    Peppercorn sauce
    Cheesy garlic bread
    Pint
    HUMP for afters.

Burger for me tonight

Sirloin medium or fillet medium rare, garlic mushrooms, chips, salad with balsamic vinegar and sea salt, garlic bread.
    Often have with peppercorn sauce. Yum!

Peppercorn sauce seems to be a winner, but I'll be sure to check out Maggi too but it'll probably be a bit hard for me to find here in Tokyo (unless someone wants to send me some?)

Tonight's steak movie was The Big Lebowski. Bought a cheapish steak but went down nicely with a bottle of Carlsberg.

Quote Originally Posted by Richyrich View Post
    I find Maggi sauce too much (it's like concentrated soy sauce for those who aren't familiar with it) and can totally overpower a steak. I prefer to season with salt and pepper only. If I want more flavour, sometimes I'll make sauce. Chimichurri, Romesco, sometimes a mushroom sauce with mustard. A garlic butter drizzle also goes well. I like my steaks rare, but as dark as possible on the outside. I get them cut thick, leave them out at room temperature for about an hour, season and usually cook them on an open grill and move them around a lot. I'll leave them in the closed grill for about 5 minutes at the end. Then I let them sit for about 10 minutes.

I'm on own tonight. I might pick myself up a rib-eye on the way home.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I find Maggi sauce too much (it's like concentrated soy sauce for those who aren't familiar with it) and can totally overpower a steak. I prefer to season with salt and pepper only. If I want more flavour, sometimes I'll make sauce. Chimichurri, Romesco, sometimes a mushroom sauce with mustard. A garlic butter drizzle also goes well. I like my steaks rare, but as dark as possible on the outside. I get them cut thick, leave them out at room temperature for about an hour, season and usually cook them on an open grill and move them around a lot. I'll leave them in the closed grill for about 5 minutes at the end. Then I let them sit for about 10 minutes.

Do you live in Manhattan NYC?

I'm quite partial to Uncle Jack's steakhouse on 9th Avenue, do you know it?

A garlic butter drizzle goes really well, I often start off with butter and garlic in the pan and swoosh it around for a minute and then add the seasoned steak. Leaving it at room temperature for a while before hand does make a difference.

I have a small kitchen with only one stove and one pan/pot etc. so my chips always get done first, quickly clean the pan and then cook steak followed by mushrooms and onion with the residue of garlic butter and steak juice.

I like A1 Steak Sauce. Coming to the end of the bottle and haven't seen it anywhere for ages. I think I bought it in TK Maxx of all places. Steak has to be blood rare with skinny chips and well, well, well done brown crispy onions for me.

Richyrich

Yeah taste is subjective so I imagine it's not for everybody, it is quite sweet. Got good reviews on Amazon though so worth a try on some cheap cuts for 65p.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Do you live in Manhattan NYC?

I'm quite partial to Uncle Jack's steakhouse on 9th Avenue, do you know it?
    I walk past it twice a day. Never been inside. That's not really a neighborhood I would hang out in. I might try it one day though.

I walk past it twice a day. Never been inside. That's not really a neighborhood I would hang out in. I might try it one day though.
    I know what you mean, I think there’s a methadone drop in place nearby? I’ve stayed at the New Yorker a few times so was around the corner. They’ve got another place further uptown and one in jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    I know what you mean, I think there’s a methadone drop in place nearby? I’ve stayed at the New Yorker a few times so was around the corner. They’ve got another place further uptown and one in jersey.
    Next time you go there, walk a few blocks south to 29th Street and check out BillyMarks Tavern. Best dive bar in NYC, with the best two bartenders. Billy one week and Mark the next. It's rough as ****, but safe and those two have got the best stories.

None of you guys like a good red wine with your steaks ?

For me medium rare , sauce au poivre , side salad with a classic French dressing , chips ( fries )
    a nice small bread roll for mopping up.

Out of preference the wine will be a Burgundy , Cotes du Rhone or Chateauneuf du Pape.

I have my steak with a blow job.

Both juicy

Stop poncing about

West Indian pepper sauce or Tabasco

End of debate

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Blue View Post
    I'm cooking steak at home now as one night a week is always a dedicated steak night, without fail. Out of interest, what goes well with a steak for you?

For me, it's always medium-rare seasoned with salt, pepper, Lea & Perrins and garlic powder, with chips, onions, brown mushrooms, garlic and covered with a garlic and butter sauce with either orange juice or a beer and a good film. Maybe some bread and butter on the side.
    How very common

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    I have my steak with a blow job.

Both juicy
    Surely not 'with' but 'before' or even 'after'?

I mean, you wouldn't wanna be champing on the wrong piece of meat

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Stop poncing about

West Indian pepper sauce or Tabasco

End of debate
    Has to be garlic mayo or french mustard, along with aunt bessies onion rings.

Tabasco, along with Lurpak are top of the list of foods I would take to a desert island.