+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: For any drivers on here.

For any drivers on here.

When you are driving straight on at a junction, and the lights start to change, and there is oncoming traffic waiting to turn right, do you stop as the lights turn orange, thus giving said traffic a few seconds to actually turn right, or do you amber gamble and continue onwards knowing full well that the driver of first vehicle waiting to turn right is more than likely to give you middle finger?
    Last edited by William Treseder; 22-10-17 at 13:51. Reason: Grammar

Re: For any drivers on here.

Depends on what I think is safest at the time.
    The driver waiting to turn always has time because the vehicles about to enter the junction when their light turn green should wait for the junction to clear before proceeding.

No way pal!

Sounds like the kind of thing a short cutter might do.

Or a kimbo bummer.

Highway code says that amber and red are both stop signals, though it is only an offence if you go through red.

So if you have time to stop when the light changes to amber, then you should stop.
    If you haven't got time to stop, you're driving too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Highway code says that amber and red are both stop signals, though it is only an offence if you go through red.

So if you have time to stop when the light changes to amber, then you should stop.
    This. though sometimes I guess we all cut it a little finer ;)

The trouble with thinking ' I'll help that other motorist out by ..' is that most of they time they don't seem to pick up on the same thought - or they dither anyway, and so both parties end up at least slightly disadvantaged. Occasionally worse.

IMHO, the best thing is to simply try to follow the rules of the road, make it clear what you are doing whenever appropriate and following common sense in any occasional curve-ball situations.
    If you do that, and stick to that way of thinking then you are already being a courteous driver IMO.
    Predictability and sanity in themselves are a courtesy - more so than ever these days when it seems to become ever rarer.

I always stop at amber, to give people turning right more time. Surprising the other way round how many drivers will even go through a red just to save a couple of minutes.
    More surprising though, is how Curtious and patient most drivers become when traffic lights at junctions are out all together.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post

Always check your mirror first when stopping on amber as you’re likely to have a car drive up your arse

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I always stop at amber, to give people turning right more time. Surprising the other way round how many drivers will even go through a red just to save a couple of minutes.
    More surprising though, is how Curtious and patient most drivers become when traffic lights at junctions are out all together.
    This statement was made sarcastically, right?

I once worked in Brunel House, overlooking the Newport Rd junction with Richmond Rd.
    Traffic lights were out, it was chaos. All trying to force their way across. One car on Newport Road heading into town smashed into the side of a car crossing from Richmond Road so hard it was pushed sidewys a few yards.

Never give a sucker an even break. Look out for yourself and keep an eye on your rear view mirror
    as stated above.

Sounds like OP could be describing the awful junction at Caerphilly Road and Maes-Y-Coed/Ty-Wern Road by the Lidl.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Sounds like OP could be describing the awful junction at Caerphilly Road and Maes-Y-Coed/Ty-Wern Road by the Lidl.
    That’s what I was thinking. Absolute joke of a junction, probably safer to ban right turns when heading towards town.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    That’s what I was thinking. Absolute joke of a junction, probably safer to ban right turns when heading towards town.
    Traffic flow through there will get even worse when building work starts on the new Aldi.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    👍

All turning right should be banned, simples !!!