+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Will we see a 29,000 crowd for one of the upcoming home games?

Will we see a 29,000 crowd for one of the upcoming home games?

We are now well into a period where City have very few home games - the matches with Millwall and Ipswich are the only ones at Cardiff City Stadium in a period of seven weeks, there's also just the one home match in November. Therefore, it seems to me that one of the reasons given by some for non attendance applies less currently than it does at other times - that is, that it is too expensive to attend when games come frequently and in clusters.

So far, significant numbers of non season ticket holders have found the means to be able to attend the Villa and Leeds matches (obviously, the price reductions in the latter helped), but the walk up crowd for our other home matches has, apparently, stayed at the same sort of level as in recent seasons.

With the Middlesbrough win having, hopefully, restored belief in the team after a few recent wobbles, will the number of walk ups for at least one of the upcoming matches rise to the sort of levels I feel Warnock and the players deserve?

Edit, obviously, I meant twenty thousand in the title, not twenty nine thousand!
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 23-10-17 at 05:53. Reason: Title wrong

Re: Will we see a 29,000 crowd for one of the upcoming home games?

Nah - 29K is obviously a complete pipedream and smacks of a jack wind-up

We might hit 20 k for Millwall but I doubt it

I would go for about 18500 , it's getting better but still not good enough

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    We might hit 20 k for Millwall but I doubt it

I would go for about 18500 , it's getting better but still not good enough
    Yes, I'll be pleasantly surprised if we get twenty thousand for either match - if we couldn't get that many for Sheffield Wednesday or Derby with their large numbers of visiting supporters, it's hard to see us managing it against Millwall or Ipswich.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes, I'll be pleasantly surprised if we get twenty thousand for either match - if we couldn't get that many for Sheffield Wednesday or Derby with their large numbers of visiting supporters, it's hard to see us managing it against Millwall or Ipswich.
    If we don't get 20 k for a game when we are second in the championship then the public of Cardiff and south Wales .....well our catchment area .....are letting down the players and Warnock

It's been so long since a home game, remind me, who are we again.

No. Most people don't have the money these days. It works out too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    No. Most people don't have the money these days. It works out too expensive.
    Unless you know me

If we don't get 20 k for a game when we are second in the championship then the public of Cardiff and south Wales .....well our catchment area .....are letting down the players and Warnock
    So the people who aren't that interested are letting other people down?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    So the people who aren't that interested are letting other people down?
    Are you on acid ?

How about the owners, Sludge? They let down the public big time a while back, and I have little doubt (and little evidence) that the crowds would be hitting 20k regularly if it wasn't for the bad blood that is still running.

What's the difference between the 2009, 2010 & 2011 seasons, and now? We were getting 20k+ then, and it was steadily increasing year-on year. Now we're struggling to get back to those numbers, even with another proper promotion push, and the Warnock positivity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley Harriott View Post
    What's the difference between the 2009, 2010 & 2011 seasons, and now? We were getting 20k+ then, and it was steadily increasing year-on year. Now we're struggling to get back to those numbers, even with another proper promotion push, and the Warnock positivity.

4-5000 extra season ticket holders in the Family Stand.

Bought on the back of the novelty of a brand new ground, 2 Wembley Cup finals and continuous promotion pushes and the worry that if you didn't have a season ticket you'd miss out in the prem.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    4-5000 extra season ticket holders in the Family Stand.

Bought on the back of the novelty of a brand new ground, 2 Wembley Cup finals and continuous promotion pushes and the worry that if you didn't have a season ticket you'd miss out in the prem.
    Considering children were totally free in the family stand during this period, I would argue that our crowds are actually comparable this season.

Our crowds are not good enough , it's as simple as that

Re: Did we ever see a 29,000 crowd for games in the PL?

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Just thinking of this - what were the crowds like in the PL season , I remember a couple of 26-27k crowds but never a 29k crowd.

So are we a bit unrealistic to expect 29k in the championship ?

Take it you missed the UpDaTe bit

It's 20,000

Re: Did we ever see a 29,000 crowd for games in the PL?

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Just thinking of this - what were the crowds like in the PL season , I remember a couple of 26-27k crowds but never a 29k crowd.

So are we a bit unrealistic to expect 29k in the championship ?
    Our ground didn't hold 29k in the prem the red stand wasn't built then .
    I personally think reason crowds have dropped is because we have now experienced Prem football and the "thrill of the chase"(to the prem) is not as exciting for some. I don't think the crowds have dropped because of the red as we had big crowds season we won the league and played in the Prem

Our catchment area is huge , it surely has enough city fans to get better gates ? Even allowing for those who will never return because of the red which was a disgrace move by tan and I fully understand those that continue to stay away

Are you on acid ?
    Says the voice of sanity....

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    How about the owners, Sludge? They let down the public big time a while back, and I have little doubt (and little evidence) that the crowds would be hitting 20k regularly if it wasn't for the bad blood that is still running.
    I thought that was all sorted.

Its just the fickle fans who dont come and watch Vinnies Bluebirds.

Fulham on boxing day should be the biggest shouldn't it.

That could be a great one