+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you stand at games again if you could?

Would you stand at games again if you could?

I definitely would and this article suggests, correctly in my view, that home records would generally improve for the teams that introduced safe standing areas.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...antage-studies

Re: Would you stand at games again if you could?

No, I definitely wouldn’t.

Yes. I definitely would.

Absolutely I'd love to stand again. I know we'll never get terraces back but safe standing would be a step in the right direction (no pun intended, there's sure to be one lurking in there somewhere).

Attendances and atmosphere might very well improve. Would they change costing structures to accommodate it though?

No. As I'm getting older my knees don't feel great with continued standing.

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Unfortunately, me too

No. The main reason I say that is because I find it hard standing anywhere for long periods of time due to knees and back problems.

Whilst I was against all seater stadia originally, I think it would be a backward step to re-introduce standing.
    There could also be clubs who would "bend the rules" regarding numbers and stewarding would almost certainly become even more difficult than it is at the moment.

Whilst I wouldn't/couldn't stand, I feel (safe) standing areas could well improve the atmosphere.
    As long as those areas aren't in front of me.

I always liked being able to mingle amongst the group of us who went, and if there was a mate who came for the odd game it was fine, he'd easily be able to watch with us.

Canton Stand blocks 104-107 stand anyway

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    This is my problem, plus a dodgy hip.

Yes I would

No ! My knees are f ucked

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Canton Stand blocks 104-107 stand anyway
    Yep and I'd much prefer it. It's been weird sitting in the upper tier for Wales games. Seems unnatural. Perfectly understandable that some people prefer to sit of course but it's not for me.

I am in the Canton Stand block 104 & everyone around me stands anyway.

Yes, definitely.

Definitely if the tickets were cheaper

100% standing for me. I'm old and I ache, had a slipped disc, got sciatica, but just can't settle to watch football sitting down.

Yes, I much prefer standing. And it's been proved beyond doubt that standing is not inherently unsafe. Even a majority of Liverpool fans have voted for it. It's about choice isn't it. Ideally at CCS you could have standing in the Canton, seating everywhere else.

The only problem with safe standing is that you have to stand next to your "seat". One of the best things about terraces was, as lardy mentions, friends that don't have a season ticket being able to stand with you rather than in a different part of the ground. Having said that, I'd prefer rail seating over sitting down all day long. I feel a right berk singing while sat down.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    No. The main reason I say that is because I find it hard standing anywhere for long periods of time due to knees and back problems.

Whilst I was against all seater stadia originally, I think it would be a backward step to re-introduce standing.
    There could also be clubs who would "bend the rules" regarding numbers and stewarding would almost certainly become even more difficult than it is at the moment.
    I certainly don’t think it would be a step backwards. I understand your reasons for wanting to sit, but those that still want to stand should be catered for. Personally I think it creates a better atmosphere, and I’ve yet to see a single fan at any ground remain seated to celebrate a goal.
    When we played Liverpool at Wembley in 2010, a guy in front of me jumped up when we scored the 1st, and fell about 3 rows down, almost breaking his neck! Luckily he escaped unhurt.
    Safe standing is a definite yes from me.

Absolutely.

I view football the same as gigs.

Sitting down just ain’t the same.

Plus my back is fecked and sitting in a plastic seat really doesn’t help.

Indeed. Sitting down at a football game just doesn't seem right. There should be both designated standing and sitting areas, the latter to accommodate those who are unsteady on their pins.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I certainly don’t think it would be a step backwards. I understand your reasons for wanting to sit, but those that still want to stand should be catered for. Personally I think it creates a better atmosphere, and I’ve yet to see a single fan at any ground remain seated to celebrate a goal.
    When we played Liverpool at Wembley in 2010, a guy in front of me jumped up when we scored the 1st, and fell about 3 rows down, almost breaking his neck! Luckily he escaped unhurt.
    Safe standing is a definite yes from me.
    Suppose I'm just gettin' old and grumpy!

When I occasionally go to away games I end up standing as those around stand. The difference at home is that I don't tend to drink at home games and as such I like to watch the game sat down.
    When away I will tend to have a good drink and I agree that not only is the match experience different, it is more exciting whether winning or losing... possibly due to the alcohol (which also has good anaesthetic properties!)

Concur with the gig standing too.... sitting down just doesnt feel right. Neither would going to a gig and not drinking.

Okay, standing for away fans only then (but limit the numbers at CCS )

One of the benefits of sitting down when Slade was manager, was that when you fell asleep you didn't fall over.