+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you stand at games again if you could?

Re: Would you stand at games again if you could?

I like standing more than sitting but by half time I'm ready for a nice sit down.

Just getting old as others have posted.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    No. The main reason I say that is because I find it hard standing anywhere for long periods of time due to knees and back problems.

Whilst I was against all seater stadia originally, I think it would be a backward step to re-introduce standing.
    There could also be clubs who would "bend the rules" regarding numbers and stewarding would almost certainly become even more difficult than it is at the moment.
    A definite backward step. Many people stand at games anyway, and clubs would pass on the costs of re-introducing standing to the fans despite bringing in billions collectively through TV money.

I stand when I go to watch Merthyr but find myself walking around a bit because it kills my back to stand in one place too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    A definite backward step. Many people stand at games anyway, and clubs would pass on the costs of re-introducing standing to the fans despite bringing in billions collectively through TV money.

I stand when I go to watch Merthyr but find myself walking around a bit because it kills my back to stand in one place too long.
    As you say many stand anyway, often in front of those that prefer to sit down. Surely the answer is to give people a choice, not to make them all sit down or stand.

I think rail seating would be perfect for most areas of the ground. This allows you to stand up but also rest back against something if a little less steady on your pins. My Dad has had both his knees replaced but sitting actually makes them worse...

The ability to shout or sing is definitely hindered when seated and, as others have noted, half the fun of going to a game is being with your mates. Anything that allowed you to stand together is to be encouraged. Perhaps you just buy a ticket to a part of the ground with rail seats but no designated seat? this would also encourage larger walk-up crowds I'd hope

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    One of the benefits of sitting down when Slade was manager, was that when you fell asleep you didn't fall over.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    As you say many stand anyway, often in front of those that prefer to sit down. Surely the answer is to give people a choice, not to make them all sit down or stand.
    I agree, my main concern is that the fans end up paying and the clubs end up profiting or profiteering. And, since standing already happens, the extra work seem unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Canton Stand blocks 104-107 stand anyway
    So does nearly all the Premiership fans

If I was a ST holder at the CCS, probably not. However, I still think it's a good idea.

Do Celtic have the same system as Dortmund? Because Dortmund looks much better.

Definately, I actually dislike sitting at football matches. I miss the old Bob Bank

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Suppose I'm just gettin' old and grumpy!

When I occasionally go to away games I end up standing as those around stand. The difference at home is that I don't tend to drink at home games and as such I like to watch the game sat down.
    When away I will tend to have a good drink and I agree that not only is the match experience different, it is more exciting whether winning or losing... possibly due to the alcohol (which also has good anaesthetic properties!)

Concur with the gig standing too.... sitting down just doesnt feel right. Neither would going to a gig and not drinking.

Okay, standing for away fans only then (but limit the numbers at CCS )
    👍😀

Would I? No but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t like to see it back.

Standing section near the away fans would do atmosphere wonders

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    The ability to shout or sing is definitely hindered when seated
    *cough*Westlife*cough*

The other problem for me with standing is it's easy to mingle. Some tw@t decides to chuck something... can be more difficult to identify immediately.

yes from me, of course i would

nothing better than standing at a game

on the plus side, seating is good if you take your children, they can at least stand a chance of seeing the game

First Team

Like others my knees are shot but I would much prefer to stand on an old style terrace.
    At 5 '10 I am hardly the tallest but these new all seated stadiums seem to have limited leg room that gives me a significant amount of discomfort.
    The chance to stretch and walk about would be a plus for me and, I reckon, may improve the atmosphere and maybe , just maybe, give a cheaper price option.
    The reality is though that the closest we are likely to get is the safe standing and the clubs will almost certainly keep prices at a similar level.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    No. As I'm getting older my knees don't feel great with continued standing.
    me too - keep the seats in the Ninian please

I currently stand although I'm not sure for how many season more I'll continue to do so.

One thing i miss about the Grange end is the ability to stand with my mates as unfortunately we aren't that organised when buying seats next to each other although we are in roughly the same area.

Anything to improve the atmosphere and make football more affordable should be a good idea.

Stoke, recorded as the loudest fans in the premier league not so long ago, now have one song and majority of fans don't sing it. Premier league midtable, or just the premier league, has killed yet another formerly proud club.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I certainly don’t think it would be a step backwards. I understand your reasons for wanting to sit, but those that still want to stand should be catered for. Personally I think it creates a better atmosphere, and I’ve yet to see a single fan at any ground remain seated to celebrate a goal.
    When we played Liverpool at Wembley in 2010, a guy in front of me jumped up when we scored the 1st, and fell about 3 rows down, almost breaking his neck! Luckily he escaped unhurt.
    Safe standing is a definite yes from me.
    I don't either, if it's safe why would it be?

It's not always good if you are not very tall like me, I remember a Brentford game years ago we were so crammed in I never saw the pitch once through the whole game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    I don't either, if it's safe why would it be?

It's not always good if you are not very tall like me, I remember a Brentford game years ago we were so crammed in I never saw the pitch once through the whole game.
    If it was on the 80’s then not seeing the game would have been a bonus !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    If it was on the 80’s then not seeing the game would have been a bonus !
    Yeah it was, still a pretty long drive to not even see a blade of grass, and we ended up in Heathrow airport on the way home.