+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: New defender?

New defender?

Re: New defender?

Feltscher?

Better not tell Sludge that name... he'll smile and relate very dodgy stories from the late 80s.

Grainy YouTube footage as is the proper protocol

https://youtu.be/1okkQO_Ccso

Has played all across the back 4, mostly as a RB apparently.
    Played in Germany Italy and Spain, mostly at the second tier

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Has played all across the back 4, mostly as a RB apparently.
    Played in Germany Italy and Spain, mostly at the second tier
    Of the main stand.

I would think LA Galaxy will be favorite to get him.

Not much of a choice for a South American. Unless he's still got some ambition.

With Richards out and Patterson still trying to get back to full fitness seems like a good idea to me.WE also have Cameron Coxe but he is very young and a experienced defender may come in very handy with games coming thick and fast now.

Several reports say he's training with the squad this week.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I would think LA Galaxy will be favorite to get him.

Not much of a choice for a South American. Unless he's still got some ambition.
    More money here.

Whats happening with Matt Connolly? Can play anywhere across the back Is he injured? Think he could still play a role this year.

Left back cover is a problem. WitH Manga and Connolly we could cover bother full bak positions, I think Manga has played left back for his country, or at a push Joe Ralls could cover there. Connolly and Manga have both played at right back, and we have Cameron Coxe too. Can't see us signing anyone on a permanent deal with paterson close to fitness and Richards to come back.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Left back cover is a problem. WitH Manga and Connolly we could cover bother full bak positions, I think Manga has played left back for his country, or at a push Joe Ralls could cover there. Connolly and Manga have both played at right back, and we have Cameron Coxe too. Can't see us signing anyone on a permanent deal with paterson close to fitness and Richards to come back.
    Peltier can play LB, Richards can, I'd be amazed if Paterson couldn't.

Another defensive type midfielder might be a good one to get as well. Seems like we are only ever 1 injury or suspension away from potential problems there. I don't know much about the young lads u23's but is there a holding type player there or there about?

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    Another defensive type midfielder might be a good one to get as well. Seems like we are only ever 1 injury or suspension away from potential problems there. I don't know much about the young lads u23's but is there a holding type player there or there about?
    Hang on Greg Halford. Great.

I don't think there is any problem with squad numbers or balance - although it is always possible to improve quality in every position.

We appear to have 30 players in the First Team Squad - less 4 out on loan, plus 2 in on loan - so 28 bodies available until Christmas.

Defensive midfield would be Gunnar, Halford and (out of position) Bamba.

Ralls, Damour, Bryson and Harris all look like attacking midfielders to me.

I would like to see Pilkington tried as a defensive mid. I know his position is wide left, No10 or main striker (out of position), but he has little pace, is two footed, can pick a pass and also puts himself about. I think he could be a better option than Halford as a No6, and maybe more convincing than Bamba in that position. From what other players have said in interviews in recent years he has been the most skillful player in the squad (competition now from Tomlin?) and if his attitude is now right it would be a waste not to use him.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I don't think there is any problem with squad numbers or balance - although it is always possible to improve quality in every position.

We appear to have 30 players in the First Team Squad - less 4 out on loan, plus 2 in on loan - so 28 bodies available until Christmas.

Defensive midfield would be Gunnar, Halford and (out of position) Bamba.

Ralls, Damour, Bryson and Harris all look like attacking midfielders to me.

I would like to see Pilkington tried as a defensive mid. I know his position is wide left, No10 or main striker (out of position), but he has little pace, is two footed, can pick a pass and also puts himself about. I think he could be a better option than Halford as a No6, and maybe more convincing than Bamba in that position. From what other players have said in interviews in recent years he has been the most skillful player in the squad (competition now from Tomlin?) and if his attitude is now right it would be a waste not to use him.
    He seems to be doing well in under23's as in hasn't sulked. Would play first team for a good few clubs in this league I think. Wonder what January holds for him? It's mad what different coaches see in different players. I think he could have a part to play yet.

He seems to be doing well in under23's as in hasn't sulked. Would play first team for a good few clubs in this league I think. Wonder what January holds for him? It's mad what different coaches see in different players. I think he could have a part to play yet.
    Sorry mate, Specifically to what you suggest about Pilkington playing deep I agree he's got the tools to do it but I haven't a clue if he would enjoy it there. He would see plenty of the ball I should think and he likes that so could be a shout. It seems a waste him in the u23's..