+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Vietnam War , last episodes last night

The Vietnam War , last episodes last night

Harrowing stuff

What an utter shit of a man Nixon was , a total war pig

I was crying watching that last night , the horror of the war and its effects on the Vietnamese people , agent orange , the lies from the president and the stories from Vietnam veterans , reporters , Vietnamese people at the end .......one day George w busy and Blair will be exposed for their invasion of Iraq and I hope I am alive to see it

Politicians hide themselves away
    They only started the war
    Why should they go out to fight ?
    they leave that all to the poor

Re: The Vietnam War , last episodes last night

This has been the stand out documentary so far this Autumn.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    This has been the stand out documentary so far this Autumn.
    I've been saving this until after Ray Donovan and The Deuce is over. Can't wait.

It’s been one of the best documentaries I’ve ever seen.
    So many sad stories, the solider coming home and getting abused I felt sorry for.
    Daft as it sounds Sylvester Stallone captured the traumatised Vietnam vet to a tee in the final scene in the first Rambo.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    It’s been one of the best documentaries I’ve ever seen.
    So many sad stories, the solider coming home and getting abused I felt sorry for.
    Daft as it sounds Sylvester Stallone captured the traumatised Vietnam vet to a tee in the final scene in the first Rambo.
    Yes I agree, and totally unbiased stuff too.

It's not like the USA to meddle and get involved with other countries problems though is it??!!

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Harrowing stuff

I was crying watching that last night , the horror of the war and its effects on the Vietnamese people , agent orange , the lies from the president and the stories from Vietnam veterans , reporters , Vietnamese people at the end .......one day George w busy and Blair will be exposed for their invasion of Iraq and I hope I am alive to see it

Your comments Sludge caused me to reflect on words from another song (written by Peter Sinfield of King Crimson) called, '21st Century Schizoid Man,' about the Vietnam War and associated politicians:

"Blood rack barbed wire
    Politicians' funeral pyre
    Innocents raped with napalm fire
    Twenty first century schizoid man."

It was said that Spiro Agnew had a place in the composing of these lyrics.

https://youtu.be/wlKf8WoLyJI
    StT
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    Your comments Sludge caused me to reflect on words from another song (written by Peter Sinfield of King Crimson) called, '21st Century Schizoid Man,' about the Vietnam War and associated politicians:

"Blood rack barbed wire
    Politicians' funeral pyre
    Innocents raped with napalm fire
    Twenty first century schizoid man."

It was said that Spiro Agnew had a place in the composing of these lyrics.

https://youtu.be/wlKf8WoLyJI
    StT
    <><
    Nixon was an evil man

The NVA veteran saying that he went home but couldn’t celebrate being home as everyone else around him had a son who died.

The other classic Vietnam Protest Song was by John Prime called, 'Sam Stone.' It's well worth a listen.

https://youtu.be/OLVWEYUqGew

StT.
    <><

I went to Vietnam a couple of years ago and went to the war museum in Ho Chi Minh. Fascinating yet harrowing stuff, and I wanted to go on a tour of the network of tunnels that Viet Cong soldiers made and used to make guerrilla attacks on US and South Vietnamese soldiers, but didn't have time.

But while I was there, I saw first hand about how tough the Vietnamese are and why it's not unbelievable that they won. In the big backpackers district, a group of American tourists tried leaving a restaurant without paying the full amount and the staff had a right go at them. The staff consisted of a young lad in his early 20s, a woman in about her 40s and another woman who looked about 60 (probably family owned) and they each had a big bottle of beer in hand ready to smash the yanks with if it got ugly.

In the end, the middle-aged woman grabbed one of the yanks' chain and broke it, and he started wailing before even other tourists told them to feck off. "WTF? You, like, broke my $3000 dollar chain, man"... bellends.

Oh, and I also played 5-a-side against some Vietnamese guys when I lived in Korea. They were tough, left feet in but solid honest players who worked and battled hard. And the keeper saved a volley of mine which I still can't understand how he saved it...

I don't watch much telly, but have watched the entire Vietnam War series, brilliant stuff, Nixon makes Thatcher look like Mother Theresa. Different war, but a brilliant song...

"Butcher's Tale (Western Front 1914)"

A butcher, yes that was my trade
    But the King's shilling is now my fee
    A butcher I may as well have stayed
    For the slaughter that I see

And the preacher in his pulpit
    Sermoned "Go and fight, do what is right"
    But he don't have to hear these guns
    And I bet he sleeps at night

And I...
    And I can't stop shaking
    My hands won't stop shaking
    My arms won't stop shaking
    My mind won't stop shaking
    I want to go home
    Please let me go home
    Go home

And I have seen a friend of mine
    Hang on the wire like some rag toy
    Then in the heat the flies come down
    And cover up the boy

And the flies come down in Gommecourt,
    Thiepval, Mametz Wood, and French Verdun
    If the preacher, he could see those flies
    Wouldn't preach for the sound of guns

And I...
    And I can't stop shaking
    My hands won't stop shaking
    My arms won't stop shaking
    My mind won't stop shaking
    I want to go home
    Please let me go home
    Go home

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Blue View Post
    I went to Vietnam a couple of years ago and went to the war museum in Ho Chi Minh. Fascinating yet harrowing stuff, and I wanted to go on a tour of the network of tunnels that Viet Cong soldiers made and used to make guerrilla attacks on US and South Vietnamese soldiers, but didn't have time.

But while I was there, I saw first hand about how tough the Vietnamese are and why it's not unbelievable that they won. In the big backpackers district, a group of American tourists tried leaving a restaurant without paying the full amount and the staff had a right go at them. The staff consisted of a young lad in his early 20s, a woman in about her 40s and another woman who looked about 60 (probably family owned) and they each had a big bottle of beer in hand ready to smash the yanks with if it got ugly.

In the end, the middle-aged woman grabbed one of the yanks' chain and broke it, and he started wailing before even other tourists told them to feck off. "WTF? You, like, broke my $3000 dollar chain, man"... bellends.

Oh, and I also played 5-a-side against some Vietnamese guys when I lived in Korea. They were tough, left feet in but solid honest players who worked and battled hard. And the keeper saved a volley of mine which I still can't understand how he saved it...
    Hard , proud people

Just caught up on the series.
    Agree with the comments here and other threads.

The tape recordings of conversations, particularly LBJ and Nixon, highlighting the "game"

American congress refusing Gerald Ford's proposal for aid to the South Vietnamese.

Nostalgia in a funny kind of way. I found muself remembering of what I was doing at the time, what class I was in, helped by the songs. Hard to believe all that shit was happening whilst FA cups being won and world cup tournaments held.

The stories from the 'stars' when they visited the wall. Very moving.

Such a good watch.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Just caught up on the series.
    Agree with the comments here and other threads.

The tape recordings of conversations, particularly LBJ and Nixon, highlighting the "game"

American congress refusing Gerald Ford's proposal for aid to the South Vietnamese.

Nostalgia in a funny kind of way. I found muself remembering of what I was doing at the time, what class I was in, helped by the songs. Hard to believe all that shit was happening whilst FA cups being won and world cup tournaments held.

The stories from the 'stars' when they visited the wall. Very moving.

Such a good watch.
    American foriegn policy and Nixon , a lethal combination

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Harrowing stuff

is the Geoffrey C. Ward Series Sludge ?
    I have been watching that on my box
    I agree, what a war mongering pig Nixon was
    but both parties (as if there is a difference) have got blood on their hands
    watching it ive a strange sense of deja Vu
    I'm on episode 3

Absolutely brilliant stuff. Some great comments from vets from both sides.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    Absolutely brilliant stuff. Some great comments from vets from both sides.
    Spedger
    It's a must have for my dvd collection

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Blue View Post

I will visit the museum in January after travelling through Thailand and Cambodia. The Genocide Museum in Sarajevo I visited last year was very small and probably operating on a very small budget but it was very sobering indeed. However, don't expect a prominent entrance to the place. it's via a door on a side street and you have to ring the bell.

Isn't it ironic that we humans have an amazing capacity to use science in a good way but still squabbling amongst ourselves on a global basis whilst the environment that we depend on is being critically defiled?

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

and when the was ended the USA did not pay one single dollar of the 2 billion dollars it had promised in reparations and forced Vietnam into an economic isolation that pales alongside what they also did to Cuba.

If it wasnt for the fact that the VN dislike the Chinese so much the actions after the war of the USA would have been enough to push them straight into Mao's iron rice bowl of economic hegemony in the 'Indo-Pacific' region