+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proposed new cancer care centre at Velindre

Proposed new cancer care centre at Velindre

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wa...rdiff-13806100

A fair bit of opposition from the local people - Someone suggesting the application be turned down as it will lead to the "destruction of wildlife".

Interesting discussion to be had here.

Re: Proposed new cancer care centre at Velindre

Why can't they build it at the current site?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Thought that was the plan? Sounds like some nimbyism going on here, but it’s already pretty congested around there

Tough decision - marsh fritillary butterfly or or maybe your wife, mother, son or daughter.

They are building next to the current site which will be demolished once the new site is up and running.

6 year build programme apparently. Think a little bit of cancer care may be required during that time.

#prayforthebutterflies

I walk these meadows at least three times a week and live about 150 metres from the site.

The extra traffic generated by the staff, visitors and patient journeys horrifies me. It will all be funneled onto the Coryton interchange - the access will be the one that serves Asda and McDonalds. The building traffic will access via Velindre Road.

I am not callous about the plight of cancer patients because it is not a case of this site or nothing.

It makes far more sense for the unit to be sited in the nearby countryside and not in an already heavily congested area. Only today, following the M4 crash, traffic (including the 132 and 26 buses) was diverted away from the interchange and Penywallt Road and along a residential street which was choked with cars for four hours.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Thought that was the plan? Sounds like some nimbyism going on here, but it’s already pretty congested around there
    Definite nimbyism IMO

Not willing to put up with a few years f disruption while build goes on, for a state-of-the-art facility that could save hundreds, or thousands of lives - including mine last year (I'm up there for my third, hopefully clear, test next week)

There's a link to the plans in the first link; looks to me it's an enlargement of the present site.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I walk these meadows at least three times a week and live about 150 metres from the site.

The extra traffic generated by the staff, visitors and patient journeys horrifies me. It will all be funneled onto the Coryton interchange - the access will be the one that serves Asda and McDonalds. The building traffic will access via Velindre Road.

I am not callous about the plight of cancer patients because it is not a case of this site or nothing.

It makes far more sense for the unit to be sited in the nearby countryside and not in an already heavily congested area. Only today, following the M4 crash, traffic (including the 132 and 26 buses) was diverted away from the interchange and Penywallt Road and along a residential street which was choked with cars for four hours.
    What nearby countryside?

This is more or less the proposed site:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1907[/ATTACH
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Definite nimbyism IMO

Not willing to put up with a few years f disruption while build goes on, for a state-of-the-art facility that could save hundreds, or thousands of lives - including mine last year (I'm up there for my third, hopefully clear, test next week)

There's a link to the plans in the first link; looks to me it's an enlargement of the present site.
    Hope it goes well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    What nearby countryside?
    The green stuff either side of the M4 between coryton and junction 33. Hope this helps.
    fwiw I think the present site would be the best option

The green stuff either side of the M4 between coryton and junction 33. Hope this helps.
    The new site (and access road/parking) occupies a far greater area than the existing unit. I fully understand that the facility will save lives and help many, many patients (including members of my family). The work done at Velindre is exceptional. I wouldn't even play the 'wild life card' (which doesn't really work in comparison with human lives helped).

My objection is purely down to the large amount of extra traffic generated in a congested area.

I repeat - there are surely many other sites in the local countryside where such a wonderful facility could be sited.

Any argument against a cancer project that has some support deserves respectful attention because the fight against cancer is one that is one generally supported without question.

Thanks, was wondering what the options were.

Its a shame they havent included a rail station for the hospital as the track bed runs along the site and could be link to the pontypridd line south of Pughs. The idea has been mentioned before with a station for tongwynlais/morganstown included. I wonder why they want an access road from asda instead of using the road that currently serves Whitchurch Hospital.

The new site (and access road/parking) occupies a far greater area than the existing unit. I fully understand that the facility will save lives and help many, many patients (including members of my family). The work done at Velindre is exceptional. I wouldn't even play the 'wild life card' (which doesn't really work in comparison with human lives helped).

My objection is purely down to the large amount of extra traffic generated in a congested area.

I repeat - there are surely many other sites in the local countryside where such a wonderful facility could be sited.
    Won’t the traffic impact on Whitchurch village be less rather than more with the proposed access to the development?

Won’t the traffic impact on Whitchurch village be less rather than more with the proposed access to the development?
    Don't think anyone has suggested there would be a traffic impact on Whitchurch village.

The extra traffic (and we're likely talking around two thousand journeys in and out a day, I reckon) will be on the Coryton interchange and roads connecting to it. In addition, there is concern that the parking area on site will not be sufficient and drivers will try to park in the Hollybush Estate and around Coryton.

Don't think anyone has suggested there would be a traffic impact on Whitchurch village.

The extra traffic (and we're likely talking around two thousand journeys in and out a day, I reckon) will be on the Coryton interchange and roads connecting to it. In addition, there is concern that the parking area on site will not be sufficient and drivers will try to park in the Hollybush Estate and around Coryton.
    That’s awful that people suffering from cancer will need to walk so far to the new facility

That’s awful that people suffering from cancer will need to walk so far to the new facility
    However, the potentially debilitating effects of the climb and long trek will be assuaged by a glimpse of the wonderful, protected wildlife and natural surroundings that will remain undisturbed by the sympathetic development.

Indeed, ying and yang.

Hope it goes well mate👍

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiwbina Blues View Post
    Its a shame they havent included a rail station for the hospital as the track bed runs along the site and could be link to the pontypridd line south of Pughs. The idea has been mentioned before with a station for tongwynlais/morganstown included. I wonder why they want an access road from asda instead of using the road that currently serves Whitchurch Hospital.
    Is Coryton station not close enough to the proposed site?

I don't live in Whichurch but I think it includes plans for housing as well. So it's a new hospital funded by new homes and increased revenue. Call me a cynic but I think the cancer hospital isn't the main purpose of the venture

Quote Originally Posted by rosetattoo View Post
    I don't live in Whichurch but I think it includes plans for housing as well. So it's a new hospital funded by new homes and increased revenue. Call me a cynic but I think the cancer hospital isn't the main purpose of the venture
    None of the proposals that I have seen includes plans for any new houses - maybe wrong though. I wonder how may new houses would be needed off the back of this scheme to pay for the new hospital?