+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Central Bus station NOT

Central Bus station NOT

Re: Central Bus station NOT

Bloody idiots.
    The whole scheme was a cock-up from the start.

Should have had plans finalised before demolishing the old one.

Prime land to be used for student accommodation is such a ridiculous idea. The incompetence of the Council knows no bounds. It wouldn't surprise me if the bus station was moved away from the City Centre and the Central Railway Station - as daft an idea as that to house students in the most valuable land in the City.

It's a ridiculous place for a bus station anyway. !

Every time there is something on in the "White Elephant", that side of town shuts down.

It's funnier than On The Busses

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Prime land to be used for student accommodation is such a ridiculous idea. The incompetence of the Council knows no bounds. It wouldn't surprise me if the bus station was moved away from the City Centre and the Central Railway Station - as daft an idea as that to house students in the most valuable land in the City.
    This should be looked into, they have/are rezoning the bottom end of Queen Street from commercial to residential, with the intention of turning the Capital Centre into student accommodation. It won't be long before the whole of town turns into one big student campus! Somebody has noticed how lucrative student housing is with the current high house prices, and decided to grab a piece of the action. And to add insult to injury, the NEW posh residents around Womanby Street want the music shut down because music is audible I suppose they could turn it into the mime capital of the world, but it will probably be more student accommodation!

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    This should be looked into, they have/are rezoning the bottom end of Queen Street from commercial to residential, with the intention of turning the Capital Centre into student accommodation. It won't be long before the whole of town turns into one big student campus! Somebody has noticed how lucrative student housing is with the current high house prices, and decided to grab a piece of the action. And to add insult to injury, the NEW posh residents around Womanby Street want the music shut down because music is audible I suppose they could turn it into the mime capital of the world, but it will probably be more student accommodation!
    After the protests, the Womanby Street development was withdrawn last month.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    Good! And now we can protest the turning of the City Centre into Studentland.

Yup, Cathays is sadly a lost cause, let's not lose the rest of Cardiff.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Yup, Cathays is sadly a lost cause, let's not lose the rest of Cardiff.
    If the plan is to get all the students into the City Centre, Cathays will become a wasteland and probably be redeveloped into upmarket properties. Follow the money!

If the plan is to get all the students into the City Centre, Cathays will become a wasteland and probably be redeveloped into upmarket properties. Follow the money!
    Nah, won't work like that. Cardiff Uni, Met, USW...all will expand, wanting the money

Nah, won't work like that. Cardiff Uni, Met, USW...all will expand, wanting the money
    Whatever happens, the local people will be pushed out. It will be Cardiff Bay MkII.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    it wasn't the council who want to change the plans to PBSA, it is rightacres.

Goodway has a good track record of delivery and i am pretty sure he will see this one through. We will probably end up with something better than already planned. lets not forget NR are looking to revamp the station in its next funding cycle

Feedback

I read that as Sudetanland...

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    I read that as Sudetanland...
    I read Sunderland.

Brexit affecting Wales already. Well done everyone.

I thought that since the Chamber of Comerce debacle Goodway is just an Ely councillor

I think the general idea is that if more of the student population is residing in the City centre then the likes of Cathays and Roath are going to have a much greater stock of housing and flats for young people and families.

I think the general idea is that if more of the student population is residing in the City centre then the likes of Cathays and Roath are going to have a much greater stock of housing and flats for young people and families.
    It won't work though.

The city centre accomodation is more aimed towards foreign students, Chinese etc who are paying more for their courses anyway.

All universities are looking to expand, they'd be happy to continue devaluing degrees hell even allow everybody in to courses as long as they make the cash. Demand for student accomodation will rise, not fall nor stay constant.

It'll create a two tier system, those with money in city centre, Cathays becoming even more of a cheap as chips slum.

Yes, but only for the "right kind" of young people and families Remember the story of the Billybanks? And don't forget we also lose our City Centre to the students! But a few people will make some cash out of it, as they always do.

Yes, but only the "right kind" of young people and families Remember the story of the Billybanks?
    There are plenty of families leaving Cathays at the moment, tbh.

There are plenty of families leaving Cathays at the moment, tbh.
    But if it is emptied, the "wrong types" won't be welcomed back.

Better than that. The derelict building next to Clwb Ifor Bach, which was going to be developed as flats, is going to be used for expansion of the club

Yes, but only for the "right kind" of young people and families Remember the story of the Billybanks? And don't forget we also lose our City Centre to the students! But a few people will make some cash out of it, as they always do.
    Not sure what you mean about right kind? Anyone can buy or rent a property can't they.

Also, how are we losing the City centre? The shops, pubs, restaurants will remain. In fact you would assume they would benefit from more trade outside of the busy times.
    The problem with City centres is that they are often underused during midweek. In my opinion having young people residing there would be more likely to create a lively, vibrant feeling.