+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tomlin's goal

Re: Tomlin's goal

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Yes but until the keeper’s kicked the ball or let it bounce he’s deemed to be in control of it.
    I agree it shouldn’t have stood. They haven’t been for years. However I feel the wording of the law is incorrect. I’m just playing devils advicate here. Is an outfield player Deemed in control of the ball when he isn’t in contact with it also ? Is there a law that states he is in control of it until it’s kicked or bounced.

Apolgees of I’m coming across as argumentive , I really don’t mean to be. Just it’s in my nature to argue a point of law.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    I agree it shouldn’t have stood. They haven’t been for years. However I feel the wording of the law is incorrect. I’m just playing devils advicate here. Is an outfield player Deemed in control of the ball when he isn’t in contact with it also ? Is there a law that states he is in control of it until it’s kicked or bounced.

Apolgees of I’m coming across as argumentive , I really don’t mean to be. Just it’s in my nature to argue a point of law.
    Yes, outfield players mostly are not physically touching the ball when they have it under their control.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    Is there a law that states he is in control of it until it’s kicked or bounced.
    Yes.
    “A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball when:

*the ball is between the hands or between the hand and any surface (e.g. ground, own body) or by touching it with any part of the hands or arms except if the ball rebounds accidentally from the goalkeeper or the goalkeeper has made a save

*holding the ball in the outstretched open hand.

*bouncing it on the ground or throwing it in the air”

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-...and-misconduct

Yes.

*the ball is between the hands or between the hand and any surface (e.g. ground, own body) or by touching it with any part of the hands or arms except if the ball rebounds accidentally from the goalkeeper or the goalkeeper has made a save

So Eto should have been penalised then

Yes.

Fair enough. I retract my previous statement.

Yes.

Assuming you just found that TH?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    So Eto should have been penalised then
    Yes he should have.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    Yes he should have.
    Depends - had the rules been beefed up after that incident?

Law 12
    "A player must be penalised for playing in a dangerous manner if he kicks or
    attempts to kick the ball when the goalkeeper is in the process of releasing
    it"
    Unless he plays for Cardiff.....

Amazes me how many people either just dont know the rules or their blue tinted glasses are so bad they cant see why we have anything given against us.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Assuming you just found that TH?
    Well as some people didn’t want to just take my word for it (fair enough) I had to look it up yeah, but I had heard about this rule previously.

Well as some people didn’t want to just take my word for it (fair enough) I had to look it up yeah, but I had heard about this rule previously.
    I was just trying to be a smart alec.

Unless the ball bounces the keeper is deemed to be in control of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I was just trying to be a smart alec.
    Ah yeah, see what you mean. the first quote refers to the case of the goalie throws it to kick it but either mis-kicks/misses altogether/just doesn't kick it very far and it hits the goround.

I think we can all agree it's a a rule that may need to be looked at

I disagree it needs to be looked at.

Look at the reaction of our players. Not a single one protested. Several were yelling at Tomlin to get back and stop arguing.

Tomlin probably knew it himself but tried to chance it.

Ah yeah, see what you mean. the first quote refers to the case of the goalie throws it to kick it but either mis-kicks/misses altogether/just doesn't kick it very far and it hits the goround.

I think we can all agree it's a a rule that may need to be looked at
    Not at all. Who goes to a game hoping to see a player nick it off the keeper when he's kicking? It's playground stuff.

I remember Chopra used to hang around by the keeper and it annoyed me because it just left him 30 yards offside. Totally pointless endeavour for something that might come off once in a player's career.

Agree - he was just too lazy to retreat