+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Difference between a 'top team' and a 'team at the top'

Difference between a 'top team' and a 'team at the top'

We're living off our great start. There's no doubting that City must be one hell of side to play against, but what is becoming more obvious as the games roll out is we really don't have enough quality in the side to create space when teams close us down. Bamba was hounded out in the 2nd half especially, Ralls couldn't play anything other than a square pass [with his left foot], and Bryson in all honesty could have sat down and read a book for all that he contributed.

What was also obvious is that for all his endeavour Ward is a poor substitute for Zohore, and we miss Gunnarson more than we would Ralls.

Still in the top 6 at the New Year and 3 or 4 signings [ie players that can go straight into the side], and Warnock will get us into the play offs.

But without some new blood and a couple of defeats could see us slide into mid-table mediocrity..

Re: Difference between a 'top team' and a 'team at the top'

Agreed. I think it's going to be one of those seasons where we are still in the mix for play offs come April but having won 1 of the last 7 or something. Warnock and Tomlin clearly don't get on and tomlin would've done himself no favours wasting a minute with his "goal" earlier - warnock was fuming pointing at his watch. But baffling why he doesn't get at least one start to see what he can do. We are playing milwall - not Brazil.

City remind me a bit of Wales. Work hard and perhaps over achieve. We catch teams who come onto us on the break but aren't good enough to beat teams we are expected to beat as we dont have the guile and craft to find a way through.

Not being negative, we cant expect to win every weak. Bloody hell who expected us to be where we are but we certainly arent going to stroll to promotion. Its going to be a slog. For the first time this season I thought our bench lacked options. I hope Tomlins gets a run of games, he looks like the type of player who needs that. Patterson looks a cut above our other full backs too - very impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Gwapo View Post
    City remind me a bit of Wales. Work hard and perhaps over achieve. We catch teams who come onto us on the break but aren't good enough to beat teams we are expected to beat as we dont have the guile and craft to find a way through.
    I said exactly the same on the way home yesterday, when teams attack us, we do well, when they sit back, we appear to have little plan for that

Playing 5 at the back at home to Millwall was very negative. It was always going to be a battle and we*needed 3 in central midfield. Revert back to the midfield that started the season so well add Paterson and Zohore into the mix and we are easily top 6. Throw on Tomlin early to break down teams who park the bus.

Injuries to Gunna and Zohore haven't helped neither has dropping Damour in favour of Brayson who offers very little against teams who are prepared to battle for every ball.

Unfortunately both Ward and Bogle are not top end championship strikers. Obviously having Kads, Healey and Camp available would improve the bench.