+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Concerns

Concerns

Firstly, it has to be said that I'm chuffed with our league position as it stands. It wasn't expected at the start of the season, though it would probably be a disappointment if we didn't make the playoffs by the end of the season. I'm also aware that we can't win every game, teams have off-days, it takes two teams to make a game of football and we can't always influence every thing that happens on the pitch.

Having said that, there are a few issues that I feel we need to sort out or we might not end up making the most of the great start we've made.

Why do our defenders look to lump the ball forward at every opportunity? On plenty of occasions recently I've seen aimless balls being hit upfield in the hope that someone might be able to do something with it. A long ball is fine if it is accurate, but just gives away possession cheaply if it isn't. On the same note, why do we try so many chipped passes instead of keeping the ball on the deck?

What do our fringe players need to do to get into the starting line up, other than wait for a chance due to injury? Warnock talked after the Preston defeat that he knew he could make changes after he admitted he should have for that game. Since then, there's been few changes whatsoever. Loic Damour was a big player for us early on in the season but since the arrival of Bryson, Damour has hardly been seen. Mendez-Laing and Hoilett get picked for every game, yet their impact has fluctuated recently. I fear too many of City's starting line up know they'll keep getting picked - there appears to be little pressure from the bench. This lack of plan B is making us look predictable. With teams now defending deep against us, our threat out wide has been largely nullified lately, yet we persist with the same tactic. Bamba had one good game as a defensive midfielder and so Warnock persisted with it for a few more games before realising it didn't work against different opposition.

Defensively, bar one horror show at Preston we've looked solid. 2 conceded in 5 games is a cracking foundation - one of those was a deflected effort that wouldn't have gone in. However, 1 goal (a penalty at that) in 4 games is concerning. Leeds and Sunderland apart, we've not clicked in an attacking sense for a long spell now. Two good attacking performances in 9 games has to be a worry. The early season swashbuckling form seems a very distant memory. Changes need to be made as we don't look like breaking out of our malaise any time soon.

Re: Concerns

We need Gunnarsson back so that he can dictate play better than Bamba is currently doing sitting in front of the back 4. Bamba is not effective enough in creating attacking options in that position.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    We need Gunnarsson back so that he can dictate play better than Bamba is currently doing sitting in front of the back 4. Bamba is not effective enough in creating attacking options in that position.
    Talking of Gunnarsson, he's out of contract at the end of the season. Will he possibly leave in January if we can't get him to sign a new contract? We certainly need to bring in a good centre midfielder in the new year. It was needed during the last transfer window but it seems even more necessary now.

You're quite right Eric. We've been found out and our manager is not utlising plan b. Clearly he knows a lot more about football than me, but the sooner Ken and Gunnar are back the better. Hopefully too he will revert to 433 and bench Manga.
    I also wish he could find a way of starting Tomlin. Potentially he would give us the spark we have been missing lately.
    one plus tjough...Paterson.What a player he could be for us. Would make a good centre forward, better than Ward certainly.

well said Eric, when we were winning and playing well, its hard to argue for the inclusion of fringe players, but i think they should be given a chance.

Todays game was crying out for Tomlin to start, indeed, from what I've seen of brief highlights he had a good impact when he came on.

He seems obsessed with one up front isolated, and 2 wingers. Id rather see 2 start up front, and bring on the pace of Hoilet when there are tired legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    well said Eric, when we were winning and playing well, its hard to argue for the inclusion of fringe players, but i think they should be given a chance.

Todays game was crying out for Tomlin to start, indeed, from what I've seen of brief highlights he had a good impact when he came on.

He seems obsessed with one up front isolated, and 2 wingers. Id rather see 2 start up front, and bring on the pace of Hoilet when there are tired legs.
    Pace is something we don't have on the bench. Early on in the season the Mendez-Laing/Hoilett pairing happened rather than was planned particularly. Granted, the pair of them enjoyed a few brilliant performances early on in the season, but those have been few and far between in the main because of the way teams set up against us. I also think that Mendez-Laing flatters to deceive a lot of the time.

Brayson's performances have been average, we were more effective with Damour who never let us down and at home Tomlin has to play. Paterson will be a big improvement on Peltier. Unfortunately neither Ward nor Bogle are top end championship strikers.

Playing all 3 centre backs at home is negative. Against teams who park the bus we need Tomlin's creativity.

If all else fails and when everyone is fit revert back to the team that were unbeaten.