+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Inept official cannot disguise City failings.

Inept official cannot disguise City failings.

Re: Inept official cannot disguise City failings.

Good read, though underlying concerns are seeping through.

The overall impression from the piece is that we are currently rather more 'pedestrian' than earlier in the season, and somewhat fortunate to be where we are?

Thanks Bob.

I think a draw was fair, even if we were slightly the better of the 2 sides, we didn't create enough to win.

In fact 4 points from the last 2 games is pretty generous and 4 from the last 3 is about fair.

If we are to keep our challenge up then we must kick on.

I don't think we will see Zohore before the international break, so we must find a way to fit Tomlin - or Pilkington in to support Ward.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Thanks Bob.

I think a draw was fair, even if we were slightly the better of the 2 sides, we didn't create enough to win.

In fact 4 points from the last 2 games is pretty generous and 4 from the last 3 is about fair.

If we are to keep our challenge up then we must kick on.

I don't think we will see Zohore before the international break, so we must find a way to fit Tomlin - or Pilkington in to support Ward.
    We need to revert to two centre backs, who know exactly where they are playing and do what is expected of a centre back.

We are going to struggle on Tuesday as Ward does not appear to have a particular strength we can play to. He also appears to have injured his calf.

I agree we're unlikely to see Zohore before the break so our attack is going to be blunt again. I'd be tempted to put Pilks up top as Bogle is not quite there yet. I hope Gunnarsson is back and replaces Ralls as Bryson I thought was unlucky to be subbed today. If not then perhaps Damour needs another chance.

Clutching at at straws a bit really and can't see us having enough to beat Ipswich on Tuesday

I don’t know what Damour has done to not start a game

Coote's still around. We are probably due him ruining reffing one of our games soon. On a more positive note Chris Sarginson hasn't been near the championship for a few years and has only featured once at our level since the Hull game.

Another excellent report Paul - and plenty of discussion points.

I thought the poor refereeing performance hurt us far more than Millwall. You are probably right that he was favouring the defending side, but as we had two or three times more attacks than them, and were marginally the better side for most of the match, it was not really impartial ineptitude.

His two calls against Bogle late in the game were just baffling, as was his ignoring the tackle that took out Hoillet or the choke hold on Ward.... or any number of other incidents. Unlike some I wasn't convinced by the penalty claims at either end (the Millwall claim was outside the box even if Morrison clipped their player).

Bryson and Ralls were poor, but that was on the back of a very sloppy performance at the back with Peltier, Manga and Bamba all misdirecting or under-hitting passes and seemingly very nervous for some reason. Bamba was the best thing we had in midfield when he broke forward - his tackling and passing was streets ahead of Bryson and Ralls.

Patterson looked good, Tomlin looked feisty (playing the role of the precocious maverick perfectly) and that shot straight at their keeper was impressive for the tight space and lack of back-lift, if not the speed or direction. Bogle did nothing wrong and almost got though twice, but didn't look like a game changer.

All in all a badish day at the office with some reasons for optimism (mainly Patterson) and more reasons to be cautious about the season ahead.

Since I gave up my season ticket a few years back I have normally bought seats in the Ninian (though sometimes the Canton or Grandstand corner). Yesterday I was in the middle of the Grandstand fairly close to Warnock - and was that entertaining! I can never hear what he says from further away in the ground but watching him eff and blind and kick every ball and most of the players was really good to see. It was red blooded from the first minute. I might do that again, despite the worse view and the chill in the posh seats.

Good points. I found myself agreeing with it.

As for the question "Has a side with the worst passing stats in a league in the pyramid structure of the domestic game ever gone up or reached the end of season promotion Play Offs?", Leicester had one of the worst passing stats when they won the Premier League, certainly in the bottom 3. The one difference is that Leicester's passing, when they did try it, was usually accurate or caused problems. At the moment we just seem to want to lump the ball forward as quickly as possible, regardless of accuracy or thought. It's not impossible to go up with what can be described as poor passing statistics - Burnley did so when they won this division a couple of seasons ago. Hit and hope isn't good enough, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Is Pilks still here ? - I thought he had gone on loan somewhere, havent seem him in the match day squad for a while.

If Pilks is the striker answer - then we are asking the wrong question
    Probably, but is he worse than Ward or Bogle? I don't think so. The one thing he doesn't offer that the others offer is the ability to be a target man. Food for thought there.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Probably, but is he worse than Ward or Bogle? I don't think so. The one thing he doesn't offer that the others offer is the ability to be a target man. Food for thought there.
    One on one with the keeper he is definitely worse.

Ward isn't a target man. He'll nag defenders sure but isn't a physical front man. Only striker we have who could theoretically play that target man role is Fred.