+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cyclist killed in road crash .....why I sold my bike

Cyclist killed in road crash .....why I sold my bike

On Saturday morning a cyclist lost his life and two others were injured in a road crash on the A48 between cowbridge and Bridgend ......police have arrested a 36 year old who was driving a car in collision with the cyclists ......anyone who knows the junction knows it's an accident black spot where people ignore the warning signs , lorries turn right to the industrial estate etc .......cyclists are so vulnerable on the roads these days ......people driving using their mobile phones , speeding , etc .......and the state of the roads , potholes etc

That's why I sold my bike , I take my hat off to anyone who enjoys cycling but it's so dangerous these days

Re: Cyclist killed in road crash .....why I sold my bike

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I take my hat off to anyone who enjoys cycling but it's so dangerous these days
    Totally agree. Wasn't so long ago that I used to time trial up and down the A470 from Coryton to the first roundabout. Apart from the fact that cyclists are barred from that stretch now, I wouldn't dream of riding that road.

But there is an alternative, mush. I sold my road bike and bought a mountain bike. Now I'm riding off road or on quiet country roads. I also use a mirror attached to the end of my handlebars. Not exactly Tour de France, but now I know exactly what is going on behind me and feel safer as a result.

And with the suspension and big wheels. I feel like a kid again - while still keeping fit, enjoying the fresh air and our beautiful countryside.

2nd cyclist fatality in just a few weeks (plus a motorcyclist).
    I'd love to get a few non cyclist drivers out on a bike for an hour just so they can experience what cyclists have to put up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Totally agree. Wasn't so long ago that I used to time trial up and down the A470 from Coryton to the first roundabout. Apart from the fact that cyclists are barred from that stretch now, I wouldn't dream of riding that road.

But there is an alternative, mush. I sold my road bike and bought a mountain bike. Now I'm riding off road or on quiet country roads. I also use a mirror attached to the end of my handlebars. Not exactly Tour de France, but now I know exactly what is going on behind me and feel safer as a result.

And with the suspension and big wheels. I feel like a kid again - while still keeping fit, enjoying the fresh air and our beautiful countryside.

I used to cycle the country lanes , full of potholes !

And the final straw for me came when a bloke from a car of boy racers leaned out of the passenger side and pushed me , I lost control and ended up in the ditch , I suffered cuts and bruises and a sore head , if I hadn't been wearing my helmet it could have been curtains

And the final straw for me came when a bloke from a car of boy racers leaned out of the passenger side and pushed me , I lost control and ended up in the ditch , I suffered cuts and bruises and a sore head , if I hadn't been wearing my helmet it could have been curtains
    There really are some horrible young feckers about these days.
    I used to knock about with some right roughians but none would ever do something as crass and cowardly.

As for the cycling in general, you really are putting your life in other peoples' hands and unfortunately bike fatalities will only increase... with cars getting bigger and wider, the roads unfortunately ain't!

I had exactly that happen to me at Peterston. They had a go and missed and then waited up for a second pass. Found a copper at The Sportsmans Rest and bled all over his notebook. He tracked the bastards down. I got a four figure sum from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Fund. Didn't ride me bike for a year. Now I'm out 2/3 times a week.

Potholes are not a problem on the trails and off-road. And ain't ya tried suspension and big tyres anyway?

Don't be a wuss!

Do we want to read your story about giving up - or a tale of conquering adversity?

I used to be basically riding the curb when I road cycled

Yet still people rev their engine and rag their cars past you about a yard away

Some car drivers are good, other are ar*eholes.

Same with cyclists.

There are some shitty people around on all sides tbh.

Was crossing road with young son, waited from the red lights / green man. Full kit lycra wanker decided red lights didn't apply to him sowent bombing through, nearly hit my son. He then started swearing at him. He acted surprised when I smacked him one...

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    There really are some horrible young feckers about these days.
    I used to knock about with some right roughians but none would ever do something as crass and cowardly.

As for the cycling in general, you really are putting your life in other peoples' hands and unfortunately bike fatalities will only increase... with cars getting bigger and wider, the roads unfortunately ain't!
    I got a small rock thrown at me once in a village called aberthin by a bunch of little tossers in a car

I came off my bike and was winded and sat down to get myself together , took about five minutes to get myself together

Anyway I got back on the horse and look who is coming back in the opposite direction ?......the car load of idiots

Anyway unluckily for them they got stuck in traffic , I got off my bike and banged on the windows and sat on the bonnet, offering them out , they were shitting themselves , if it had been a group of cyclists they would probably have got a good kicking

Jimmy Savile was a semi-pro cyclist who competed in over 300 races. Lance Armstrong started out as a cyclist and ended up a drug dealing violent criminal. Andrew Mitchell, a simple MP, gets on his bike and becomes a bigoted police abuser. It's about time the government outlawed these two wheeled devil machines.

I had exactly that happen to me at Peterston. They had a go and missed and then waited up for a second pass. Found a copper at The Sportsmans Rest and bled all over his notebook. He tracked the bastards down. I got a four figure sum from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Fund. Didn't ride me bike for a year. Now I'm out 2/3 times a week.

Potholes are not a problem on the trails and off-road. And ain't ya tried suspension and big tyres anyway?

Don't be a wuss!

Do we want to read your story about giving up - or a tale of conquering adversity?
    What did they get ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I'd love to get a few non cyclist drivers out on a bike for an hour just so they can experience what cyclists have to put up with.
    Brilliant idea!
    Maybe drivers prosecuted for being dangerous to cyclists should be sentenced to cycle-commute for a week. That will teach them some manners!

I used to cycle-commute in London 30 years ago - hellishly busy, but you knew what to expect and allowed for the odd w*nker. And if a cyclist doesn't ride by the rules of the road, he's asking for trouble.

But seeing traffic these days, I wouldn't go near a bike. (can't anyway since my stroke)

So many cyclists out. It's good to see. Our roads just aren't built to accommodate them unfortunately. Some drivers feel aggrieved by them. I don't. I have heard arguments they are uninsured etc, don't obey the rules of the road. Some motorists don't.

I take exception with the kids by me who insist on wheelieng all the way down the middle of the road in formation but they are just kids. Ironically maybe some of the future motorists who complain bitterly and drive to fast past cyclists themselves.

CYCLISTS. Pretend you're riding in the Kierin cycling race by following the Domino's delivery boy for a mile before breaking into a sprint.

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    CYCLISTS. Pretend you're riding in the Kierin cycling race by following the Domino's delivery boy for a mile before breaking into a sprint.

Quote Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
    It is simply not worth it - on any road. There are definitely dangerous cyclists out there and even more dangerous drivers.

Someone I knew was killed 2 weeks ago - knocked off his bike in Llandaff. If you want to cycle then stick to the taff trail, mountain trails or parks - it's not worth losing your life over - and you will probably look stupid in lycra anyway
    Sorry to hear that mate

What did they get ?
    Irrelevant.

Can't stop - out on my bike this glorious morning (albeit with the first leggings of the autumn).

Remember: It's your choice let the buggers win or adapt.

Irrelevant.

Can't stop - out on my bike this glorious morning (albeit with the first leggings of the autumn).

Remember: It's your choice let the buggers win or adapt.
    Irrelevant ?

What did the law throw at them for doing something that could have killed you ?

Enjoy your ride and be careful

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    Sorry to hear that mate
    Indeed , very sad

Yeah, sorry again about that mate.