+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patterson in Scotland squad

Patterson in Scotland squad

Chosen by Malky

Re: Patterson in Scotland squad

Clearly good Scottish stock then, no nasty foreign genes...

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    or maybe he just enjoys a nice bit of racial banter

Born in London with a Zimbabwean mother and a South African grandmother - bit of a cheap shot that.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Born in London with a Zimbabwean mother and a South African grandmother - bit of a cheap shot that.
    Mackay will be lynched by the SNP over that, picking an Englishman...

Sorry it's a cheap shot at Mackay. I just hate racists who engage in racist, homophobic, sexist and anti-semitic "banter" using work equipment. I should consider the poor love's feelings...

Good luck to the lad. Clearly we have got a gem here. Just hope he doesn't rush things.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Good luck to the lad. Clearly we have got a gem here. Just hope he doesn't rush things.
    He looks to be a gem absolutely. 400k seems a definite bargain.

He looks to be a gem absolutely. 400k seems a definite bargain.
    We have seen him for a few minutes and he is the new coming .
    I thought he was ok ,certainly hope he will be great , haven’t seen enough to be dribbling though .

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    He is Morrison mk2 - which is fine in my book. Just hope he doesnt play for Scotland, but knowing Malky he will probably pick him and get him to the full 90 - just to get back at us.
    MorrisonMk2 pardon?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I thought he was ok ,certainly hope he will be great , haven’t seen enough to be dribbling though .
    Average players in the Champion can go for £1m plus.

Seems to have pace, seems to have a good motor. Attack minded, can score goals. That's why I say imo he seems a bargain for the money we spent.

Think you are being a bit mean spirited there. Already a Scots International, all set to sign for W Ham, did several things on Sat which was way above much of the standard on display. Early days yes, but I will be very surprised if he does not make a big impression down here.

Mackay will be lynched by the SNP over that, picking an Englishman...

Sorry it's a cheap shot at Mackay. I just hate racists who engage in racist, homophobic, sexist and anti-semitic "banter" using work equipment. I should consider the poor love's feelings...
    Yeah right, Mackay did wrong and has paid a very heavy price for it in terms of how a promising managerial career has worked out. As far as people of a certain age (like me and, I suspect, you) are concerned, I say let he who is without sin in the areas you list cast the first stone. Are you really saying you have never used the sort of language Mackay used ever in your life?

Yeah right, Mackay did wrong and has paid a very heavy price for it in terms of how a promising managerial career has worked out. As far as people of a certain age (like me and, I suspect, you) are concerned, I say let he who is without sin in the areas you list cast the first stone. Are you really saying you have never used the sort of language Mackay used ever in your life?
    I never have, no. Certainly never in adult life nor in a professional context as Mackay did.

I just don't buy the "oh, it was prevalent back in the day" approach as a means to provide any semblance of rationale for it tbh. Mackay was hardly some coffin dodger, borderline senile "back in my day" person.

I was going to start a Paterson backlash on Sunday but felt it might be too soon. Now you've set the ball rolling I'll jump in. I was frustrated that he messed up two great chances against Millwall. He beat the keeper to the ball for his header, basically just had to nod the ball into the net but made a complete hash of it. Maybe he was shocked that Peltier had put an accurate ball in but I expected him to score. Just after that he burst into the box and a first touch of anything between one yard and ten would've given him a clear shot on goal but it went twenty and out for a goal kick.

Exactly the kind of player we need though. I mentioned after an under-23 game that he pops up in random positions when we attack and the two examples above are proof of that. Hard to defend against, in contrast to the way we've set up at home lately.

I never have, no. Certainly never in adult life nor in a professional context as Mackay did.

I just don't buy the "oh, it was prevalent back in the day" approach as a means to provide any semblance of rationale for it tbh. Mackay was hardly some coffin dodger, borderline senile "back in my day" person.
    Interesting that it takes you all of one sentence to start qualifying the definite no you started with.

Interesting that it takes you all of one sentence to start qualifying the definite no you started with.
    It's not a case of qualifying, it's a case of direct comparison with the circumstances within which Mackay made numerous comments - in that Mackay and Moody felt emboldened enough to do so in a professional environment...

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Which bit dont you understand ?

Both have very long throws, both go up for corners and set pieces, both very committed in the tackle.
    They seem to me , to be cut from the same cloth so to speak and it's great to have the pair of them available to select from - add to that Bennett, Bamba, Manga , Pelts etc and we have a defence, the like of which I haven't seen in a long long time
    Those points certainly. I can see why he was confused ( Corbyn confused... lol ). Paterson's strengths are far more than that in terms of pace, crossing, goal scoring from open play.

It's coming across as though you're defending the indefensible here, it doesn't do you any favours at all. Here's 'the sort of language' Malky was using.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...ncent-Tan.html

Trying to claim that anyone who criticises Malky is a hypocrite because in private we're all racist, sexist, homophobes is best left to posters much further down the food chain than yourself. I really would let it go if I were you.

We have a politics thread for jibes against me....lol.
    Yes Paterson and Morrison are, imo, very different types of players, though i take the point about the long throws!

Don't get me wrong, I think the comparisons made with Morrison are valid. It's just those qualities aren't the first things you'd think of looking at Paterson.

If anything, it makes him look even more of a bargain.

Don't get me wrong, I think the comparisons made with Morrison are valid. It's just those qualities aren't the first things you'd think of looking at Paterson.

If anything, it makes him look even more of a bargain.
    He filled in at centre-back for the last 25 minutes or so in the under-23 game last week and was pretty much a dead ringer for Morrison. Not that it should have been a problem for him but I was surprised how completely he took the role on. Especially at that level I'd have expected him to show what he could do by continually passing or bringing the ball out himself but he was more than happy to hoof it 50 yards up the pitch or into row Z when needed.

He's played in a number of positions through his career and looks like he could do a job almost anywhere but it seems to me that his kind of full-back play is exactly what we need right now, especially at home. Warnock speaks highly of his character, he's surely going to be a big player for us and an absolute bargain too, as you say.

That will do for me, he's now got Jimmy's critique, he is going to be another world beater just like big Ken

Quote Originally Posted by JKB View Post
    That will do for me, he's now got Jimmy's critique, he is going to be another world beater just like big Ken
    He didn't come from the mighty Celtic or Rangers - better than Wolvesalona. Clearly he can't be any good...

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    It's coming across as though you're defending the indefensible here, it doesn't do you any favours at all. Here's 'the sort of language' Malky was using.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...ncent-Tan.html

Trying to claim that anyone who criticises Malky is a hypocrite because in private we're all racist, sexist, homophobes is best left to posters much further down the food chain than yourself. I really would let it go if I were you.
    I wrote a piece that appeared in the Echo three years ago which set out my disappointment at and feeling of being let down by Malky Mackay and I've not changed my opinion of him in the intervening period.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...ht-man-8175107

As you can see, I ended by saying he shouldn't be allowed to forget the way he behaved and, again, I stick to that - he should never be allowed to feel that what he did has been forgotten or forgiven in any way, but I thought this thread was supposed to be about a City player who had been selected in the Scotland squad, not yet another discussion on here about our former manager's stupid comments.

I'm sorry, but I do think there is a degree of hypocrisy in the reaction of many people of a certain age to the whole Mackay situation. However, I'll qualify that by saying that, for me, the worst aspect of his racism was that it came relatively recently at a time when so many of those who were rushing to condemn him, despite having said similar or worse things earlier in their life, had genuinely changed with the times - the penny had dropped for them in a way that it hadn't done for Mackay.

"Many people of a certain age" were well aware those kind of comments were unacceptable, didn't wait for a generational sea change in views. It's a ridiculous comment, generalising that anybody over the age of X must have always indulged in that type of comment.