+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: John Humphries

John Humphries

Ok. He’s from Penarth which as we all know is now a suburb of Cardiff.
    He’s been on the radio 4 programme since just after the last dinosaur was made extinct.
    Today. No pun. He is reported as pontificating about the God slot on the today program at 7:50 every day. Usually presented in true bbc fashion by a gay religious leader.

My question. Is he ever going to get retired? Most people of his age used to face compulsory retirement. Surely their is someone younger that can lighten the program up.

I think he had been brilliant but after a lifetime of his dulcet tones might we not have someone else. Neil Nunes deserves a go.

Re: John Humphries

I liked his brother Bob

He's from Splott

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    He’s been on the radio 4 programme since just after the last dinosaur was made extinct.
    Today. No pun. He is reported as pontificating about the God slot on the today program at 7:50 every day. Usually presented in true bbc fashion by a gay religious leader.

My question. Is he ever going to get retired? Most people of his age used to face compulsory retirement. Surely their is someone younger that can lighten the program up.

I think he had been brilliant but after a lifetime of his dulcet tones might we not have someone else. Neil Nunes deserves a go.
    Do you listen to the programme at all? I think he's top notch at what he does and is very humorous at times.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post

Nope - that is someone different every day. There is a slot during Today called 'Thought for the day'. It features a different person every day, from all persuasions and from all walks of life.
    Only very rarely is anything 'gay' mentioned nor even alluded to it is not even always 'religious' Just theosophical.
    Perhaps you ought to listen more than maybe once before offering your opinion, as clearly you have not very often.

I hope he stays on for as long as possible as often replacements are not as good as the original. Take the TV programme "Sunday Politics" as an example. The new presenter - Sarah Smith - has replaced Andrew Neil meaning for me the programme is now unwatchable. Her deep voice, speech impediment and especially shallow questioning has ruined a previously excellent programme.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    He's from Splott
    Close. Adamsdown. Pearl Street to be precise. My mum used to look after him when he was a baby, taking him for walks in a pram.
    Jeremy Bowen's dad lived round that way, too.

Even closer. Pearl Street is in Roath.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    He's from Splott
    He's from ROATH !

Born and lived at the top of PEARL STREET, next door to the tattooist. (Beresford Road end)

Quote Originally Posted by Vimto View Post
    Nope - that is someone different every day. There is a slot during Today called 'Thought for the day'. It features a different person every day, from all persuasions and from all walks of life.
    Only very rarely is anything 'gay' mentioned nor even alluded to it is not even always 'religious' Just theosophical.
    Perhaps you ought to listen more than maybe once before offering your opinion, as clearly you have not very often.
    Is that correct? I thought Humanists had long been campaigning for inclusion.

http://www.christian.org.uk/news/bbc...r-thought-day/

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    He's from ROATH !

Born and lived at the top of PEARL STREET, next door to the tattooist. (Beresford Road end)
    Roath was the postal address (and sounded posher). Adamsdown on the map. My family lived in Arthur Street for about 100 yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Roath was the postal address (and sounded posher). Adamsdown on the map. My family lived in Arthur Street for about 100 yrs.
    That's the one that had the shop on the corner of Pearl Street.

Did you know the tall lad who lived on the corner of the next street towards Beresford road. Can't remember his name, but we used to call him Torres (Eusabio's team-mate)

That's the one that had the shop on the corner of Pearl Street.

Did you know the tall lad who lived on the corner of the next street towards Beresford road. Can't remember his name, but we used to call him Torres (Eusabio's team-mate)
    Two shops in fact, one either side of the junction of Pearl Street and Arthur Street. I never lived in Arthur Street, only visited in the 60's to early 90's when my nan died. My great grandfather moved to Arthur Street some time in the 1890s, from Devon, possibly via Reading, working in the biscuit factory that later became Leos. Consequently I didn't get to know too many people down that way. There were some right characters though. Some rough diamonds but a real sense of community.
    Was it your family that had a fruit n veg shop in Splott?

Two shops in fact, one either side of the junction of Pearl Street and Arthur Street. I never lived in Arthur Street, only visited in the 60's to early 90's when my nan died. My great grandfather moved to Arthur Street some time in the 1890s, from Devon, possibly via Reading, working in the biscuit factory that later became Leos. Consequently I didn't get to know too many people down that way. There were some right characters though. Some rough diamonds but a real sense of community.
    Was it your family that had a fruit n veg shop in Splott?

Na, me old man was a baker in Merrets (spelling) on Newport Road.

Loved the old biscuit factory, foreman used to get us bags of broken biscuits

Feedback

the 7:48 god slot? Do you mean 'thought for the day', which comes from a variety of sources, athiest, spiritual and religious. is that what you are referring to?

Humphries is a great presenter and journalist, still relevant and still asks the challenging questions....

Na, me old man was a baker in Merrets (spelling) on Newport Road.

Loved the old biscuit factory, foreman used to get us bags of broken biscuits
    Small world. My great grandfather was the Master Baker at the biscuit factory and family on my mum's side grew up on broken biscuits from the factory. There seemed to be a lot of broken biscuits��. I used to work at Merretts on Maes yr Coed Road in the summer holidays where my mum worked in accounts. Jimmy Norris used to work there too. Quiet bloke who never spoke about what he did during the war.

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    the 7:48 god slot? Do you mean 'thought for the day', which comes from a variety of sources, athiest, spiritual and religious. is that what you are referring to?

Humphries is a great presenter and journalist, still relevant and still asks the challenging questions....
    Agreed. An excellent presenter who does his research and puts people on the spot. He seems to know more about a topic than the people he interviews. Pity he's never supported City (as far as I know) given the footballing pedigree of where he was brought up...Keanors and the Stitfalls lived nearby.

Small world. My great grandfather was the Master Baker at the biscuit factory and family on my mum's side grew up on broken biscuits from the factory. There seemed to be a lot of broken biscuits��. I used to work at Merretts on Maes yr Coed Road in the summer holidays where my mum worked in accounts. Jimmy Norris used to work there too. Quiet bloke who never spoke about what he did during the war.

Didn't wanna use the "MASTER" bit, as Steve R wooda been on it in a flash (masterbaker)

He was in my uncles class in school my mums family were from proper lower Splott all knocked down now.

Usually presented in true bbc fashion by a gay religious leader.
    Why would this bother you?

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    He was in my uncles class in school my mums family were from proper lower Splott all knocked down now.
    Let's hope they can get back up again.

My mother worked in the biscuit factory when we lived in Iron street *****Adamsdown*****and my father in law worked in the old Merrets and in Maes y Coed Road.

*****AWAITING CONFIRMATION FROM TONY*****