+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Less than 16000, pathetic crowd

Re: Less than 16000, pathetic crowd

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Only if you have 2 kids under 16. None of us are under 16.
    Yeah I realised that probably didnt apply to you. Its a tough one when the cost is that high particularly after a Saturday game.

Quote Originally Posted by darran1927 View Post
    Leeds game was a big attendance but you got to factor in that they had a couple of thousand odd in that attendance so take that off then add in what Ipswich brought few hundred? It's probably around 2k off attendance so 8k down from Leeds game,was Halloween, tickets were a quid for kids but most trick or treating, price was full price for adults not a fiver like it was for Leeds.
    I personally think that crowds are down because we have already achieved prem football and the novelty of the thrill of the chase (to prem) has gone. I don't think the red has hardly anything to do with it as we had bigger crowds when we were in red (unless new fans from prem are upset we got rid of the red they only ever seen us wearing in the prem and are not happy being in blue).
    I think Slade era had a factor we were openly saying we weren't spending money on big names anymore,the football was god awful to watch, and Slade was not a inspired choice of a manager for us.
    Fans are slowly coming back now as we are playing better football and have a good manager and are near top. If we are around this position January crowds will increase to around 20k at least
    This is what I think is the main reason. Many of us spent 50+years hoping for that promotion. Couple that with a few visits to Wembley, including two finals, and for most people that was job done.

Combine the above with the fact that the Premiership is a shit place to be if you are newly promoted, unless you like one-sided matches, and I think many people are struggling to find a motivation to go again.

The dip after the euphoria was inevitable, and it taking a while for people to cotton onto the fact that we're generally entertaining to watch again, and I think our crowds are about right. It takes a long time to build people up from pick and choose supporters to ST holders but it'll come if we keep playing like this.
    Last edited by Penarth Blues; 01-11-17 at 21:06. Reason: add paragraphs

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I agree with most of what your saying but I really couldnt give a sh!t what they think.
    They are sh!tting themselves about relegation. Their first season they go down their crowds will be ok. After that they are in trouble.
    The dull feckers are having a demo Saturday. They are totally deluded. Think they should have kicked on. 4th from bottom is a brilliant achievement every season for them.
    Yes even if the jacks did go down which looks very likely this year, they will again be one if the smallest clubs in the league. They could easily slip through again, maybe all the way back.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    This is what I think is the main reason. Many of us spent 50+years hoping for that promotion. Couple that with a few visits to Wembley, including two finals, and for most people that was job done.

Combine the above with the fact that the Premiership is a shit place to be if you are newly promoted, unless you like one-sided matches, and I think many people are struggling to find a motivation to go again.

The dip after the euphoria was inevitable, and it taking a while for people to cotton onto the fact that we're generally entertaining to watch again, and I think our crowds are about right. It takes a long time to build people up from pick and choose supporters to ST holders but it'll come if we keep playing like this.
    Population of Cardiff will be 400,000 soon, that’s a shocking average for supporting ccfc. Do 2% even go?? Got to be the worst local following in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Well they made a point of mentioning the poor crowd , not for the first time this season !
    Because they love egg and Swansea?

I know plenty who didn't go last night purely because it was Halloween. I'd put my neck out and say with it being half term if we'd played tonight we would of seen a bigger gate...as the trick or treating is over.

Plenty like myself won't take the kids to midweek games too due to school the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Population of Cardiff will be 400,000 soon, that’s a shocking average for supporting ccfc. Do 2% even go?? Got to be the worst local following in the UK.
    What's the population of the UK divided by it's major clubs to give us a national average?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    What's the population of the UK divided by it's major clubs to give us a national average?
    1.9%

As had been said here already, the crowd will increase if/when City return to the Premiership not because of some sudden desire by the “missing” 10,000 to watch Cardiff City, but rather the attraction of seeing their favourite Premiership players/teams who they watch week in, week out, on their Sky Sports channels from the comfort of their armchairs.

When City were promoted to the Premiership it left me completely nonplussed as I would have supported them even if had they gone down a division rather than up one. It is so difficult for newly promoted teams to survive in the Premiership that in a rather perverse way I was slightly dreading that season because I feared we would be cannon-fodder and go straight back down with the distinction of being the only club not to win a single game! Luckily that wasn’t the case but sadly we finished bottom of the table with only 7 wins out of 38 matches and a goal difference of -42. Does anyone realistically expect a different outcome if we go up this season?

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    As had been said here already, the crowd will increase if/when City return to the Premiership not because of some sudden desire by the “missing” 10,000 to watch Cardiff City, but rather the attraction of seeing their favourite Premiership players/teams who they watch week in, week out, on their Sky Sports channels from the comfort of their armchairs.

When City were promoted to the Premiership it left me completely nonplussed as I would have supported them even if had they gone down a division rather than up one. It is so difficult for newly promoted teams to survive in the Premiership that in a rather perverse way I was slightly dreading that season because I feared we would be cannon-fodder and go straight back down with the distinction of being the only club not to win a single game! Luckily that wasn’t the case but sadly we finished bottom of the table with only 7 wins out of 38 matches and a goal difference of -42. Does anyone realistically expect a different outcome if we go up this season?
    Yes.

Why not? Have you seen Swansea play for starters and they are not even in the releagtion zone. Burnley , Bournemouth , Stoke , WBA , Southampton , Huddersfield. No reason why we cant compete with the lower half teams.

We may go straight back down but id say wed probably stay up.

Think we will miss out on promotion though.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Considering the size of the city , our league position and its catchment area it's poor support

That's a fact , not an opinion
    Is that taking into account historical support for the team or not?

So we're just above the average then. Good stuff. Can all stop moaning now.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    The population of Leeds (a one club city like Cardiff) is 780,000 (est)

Their average home attendance this season is 32,210 - 4.13%

The population of Cardiff is 360,700 (est).

The average home attendance this season is 19.936 - 5.53%

http://www.worldfootball.net/attenda...p-2017-2018/1/

For the size of population Leeds have a worse home following than Cardiff.

Too many midweek games, too many televised games and matchday costs are the root of the problem.
    Sky and BT, whilst offering top notch viewing, is slowly strangling the game.
    Although I can’t see it happening, we need to go back to every game being a 3pm kick off on a Saturday, and do away with mid week games unless they are cup replays.

Champions Leage, init.

I wonder who the fairweathers will blame when Tan leaves?

I do believe we have to bring that ‘Grange End’ feeling back by switching ends and safe standing but I think I’m in the minority.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

And Cardiff has only water to the south....

Try to remember how you used to think when you were, say, ten or less. If, having endured Cardiff 0 Derby 0 and Cardiff 0 Millwall 0 on your last two visits to Cardiff City Stadium and your parents came up to you on Tuesday to ask you what would you prefer, going down the football again or going out "Halloweening", what would your answer have been?

It was a poor crowd for the Ipswich match, but I wasn't as disappointed and upset about it as I might have been, because I was half expecting it.

No. for me, the one that asked serious questions about the attitude of so many part time fans was the Derby game which was played four days after 27,000 watched us play superbly in beating top of the table Leeds 3-1. Of course, the cheaper tickets that night helped and, of course, there were those whose financial situation meant that they were only ever going to go to the one match even if we had won it 6-0 while playing absolutely brilliant football, but the fact that probably six or seven thousand Cardiff fans (once you allow for away fans) were still not persuaded to go to the next match despite having, presumably, thoroughly enjoyed themselves at the Leeds game was very poor in my book.

Apart from the final days at Ninian Park when the ground capacity was reduced below that figure, City have always been able to attract 20,000 plus crowds during the times I've supported them when they were realistic promotion contenders. Gates this season are thousands down on such seasons and are quite a bit lower than in our Championship winning season when we were playing in red - I don't get that.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    And Cardiff has only water to the south....
    Above us, only sky.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I wonder who the fairweathers will blame when Tan leaves?

I do believe we have to bring that ‘Grange End’ feeling back by switching ends and safe standing but I think I’m in the minority.
    I'd love for that to happen. For me personally, watching City was never the same after we left Ninian. A club's ground (just like the colour of the shirt) is part of the club's identity and seeing us move into another soulless box like a number of other clubs took a chunk out of my soul. Not saying that's the reason for the poor attendances, but even when there was nothing to play for, I'd always be eager to see City play.

Even after we moved to the CCS, attendances were better and finally made the playoffs (3 times) before getting promoted. Maybe after the dream was realised and it went tits up, maybe some lost interest because all those years of yearning and dreaming came true, and it was all a bit of an anti-climax?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

^^^^

Leeds metro has a population of 2.4m. When that's taken into account as well as their historic success their attendances aren't all that impressive

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    ^^^^

Leeds metro has a population of 2.4m. When that's taken into account as well as their historic success their attendances aren't all that impressive
    Perhaps pushing it a bit there, Leeds metro includes Bradford and Huddersfield and other towns that wouldn't necessarily have an affiliation with them, in fact are probably rivals.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Try to remember how you used to think when you were, say, ten or less. If, having endured Cardiff 0 Derby 0 and Cardiff 0 Millwall 0 on your last two visits to Cardiff City Stadium and your parents came up to you on Tuesday to ask you what would you prefer, going down the football again or going out "Halloweening", what would your answer have been?

It was a poor crowd for the Ipswich match, but I wasn't as disappointed and upset about it as I might have been, because I was half expecting it.

No. for me, the one that asked serious questions about the attitude of so many part time fans was the Derby game which was played four days after 27,000 watched us play superbly in beating top of the table Leeds 3-1. Of course, the cheaper tickets that night helped and, of course, there were those whose financial situation meant that they were only ever going to go to the one match even if we had won it 6-0 while playing absolutely brilliant football, but the fact that probably six or seven thousand Cardiff fans (once you allow for away fans) were still not persuaded to go to the next match despite having, presumably, thoroughly enjoyed themselves at the Leeds game was very poor in my book.

Apart from the final days at Ninian Park when the ground capacity was reduced below that figure, City have always been able to attract 20,000 plus crowds during the times I've supported them when they were realistic promotion contenders. Gates this season are thousands down on such seasons and are quite a bit lower than in our Championship winning season when we were playing in red - I don't get that.

Up until about two seasons ago, kids season tickets were free in the family stand and we sold about 4,000.I assume we have sold less that 1,000 this year. With season ticket sales of 14,000 this year, our crowds are fairly reflective.

Personally, I think the club should reinstate the free season tickets in the family stand, like a few championship and league 1 clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    You really are struggling to read, aren't you? My point is about the common view... there are plenty of other reasons as to why 10k didn't attend from the Leeds game. More Leeds fans were present, the rest simply didn't want to pay to get in...
    Whose common view dopey ferker. Just look at how few arrests have been made at CCS year on year. So your " assholes " are fake news you silly twat. If you didn't know that you are a know nothing numpty.

Remedial moaner.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    Whose common view dopey ferker. Just look at how few arrests have been made at CCS year on year. So your " assholes " are fake news you silly twat. If you didn't know that you are a know nothing numpty.

Remedial moaner.
    "Remedial"? Stay classy.

As I keep pointing out to you, I'm fully aware there are few arrests at CCS. My point is that fact hasn't been championed publicly. The old "hooligan" tag remains in the eyes of many people even thought it no longer applies. Like it or not there are still people who view CCFC fans as "hooligans" - it takes a long time to shift that view and quite frankly the club should be shouting their achievements in dealing with the problem from the rooftops.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Perhaps pushing it a bit there, Leeds metro includes Bradford and Huddersfield and other towns that wouldn't necessarily have an affiliation with them, in fact are probably rivals.
    Exactly. They are clutching at straws