+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Less than 16000, pathetic crowd

Less than 16000, pathetic crowd

If tan sells zahore in the new year or doesn't invest in new players then the public of south east Wales will have nobody to blame but themselves

See you at Brentford

Re: Less than 16000, pathetic crowd

Well said, Sludge.

Turn up in droves for Leeds game, dirt cheap tickets.

Can't be arsed turning up when having to pay.

The manager , the club through ticket promotions and the players are doing all they can

It breaks my heart to see us so badly supported , feck knows what the team must think

Agree it was a disappointing crowd reflected in the crap atmosphere. The players deserve better.

Those who didn't go missed a great performance by City.

If we do up, no doubt it will be back to people having to buy membership packages in order to get a ticket.

I honestly don't know what the answer is, the club is doing everything it can and reluctantly I'm beginning to think this "sleeping giant" thing is just pie in the sky

£29 for junior half season tickets & about £120 for an adult, they can't do much more

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Well said, Sludge.

Turn up in droves for Leeds game, dirt cheap tickets.

Can't be arsed turning up when having to pay.
    It's only 18 quid a ticket in some parts of the ground

But the price of admission is just one of a whole load of excuses our sleeping giant of a fan base will use not to attend

Last night it was Halloween

But it was Halloween all over the country so that's bollocks

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Agree it was a disappointing crowd reflected in the crap atmosphere. The players deserve better.

If we do up, no doubt it will be back to people having to buy membership packages in order to get a ticket.

I honestly don't know what the answer is, the club is doing everything it can and reluctantly I'm beginning to think this "sleeping giant" thing is just pie in the sky
    It's a complete myth that we are a sleeping giant , we will never be a big club , the so called football fans of south Wales will find any excuse not to turn up

Bake Off 1 - CCFC 0

That is abysmal really. Great position in the league and played some cracking football with players, many brought in for peanuts, really stepping-up.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    If tan sells zahore in the new year or doesn't invest in new players then the public of south east Wales will have nobody to blame but themselves

See you at Brentford
    The missing thousands wont care. Go up or be near the top towards the end and they will be back. Just the way it is.

With the parachute payments gone then no doubt there will be sales.

We have to accept that. Some will no doubt attack the club over it.

And no doubt people will buy cheap half season STs so they can "secure" a seat should we get promoted.

As said before, club, players, coaching staff can't do anymore. If I was them I'd wonder what the point was.

It's a complete myth that we are a sleeping giant , we will never be a big club , the so called football fans of south Wales will find any excuse not to turn up
    We are back to roughly the level we were getting at NP after years of lower tier football but before the cup runs, stadium move and promotion meant the casual and part time fans had to get a season ticket to get Wembley / Premier League tickets and the glory hunting fans did the same. If we had stayed in the top flight for, say five seasons, more of those new fans would be more likely to stick with us when things weren’t so good. If we’d spent Ten years then more again would stay. Building a loyal fan base is about sustained success.

We clearly have a large potential fan base. If we got promoted, next season we would probably see regular 30,000 + crowds. It’s keeping them coming year on year, making going to watch the City a part of thier lives as it is for most of us. If we can do that then instead of a having a hard core of 4-5,000 like we did twenty five years ago or 14-18,000 fans like we do now then we’d have one considerably higher.

If we get promoted, we get big crowds because all those fans want to see their Prem heroes, they aren't coming to see us. Which means they don't stay should we relegate. And those big crowds won't be that big when against the "lesser" Prem sides. When we were in the Prem, the Family stand notably had plenty of empty seats for games - people buying cheap family STs so their little kids could watch their beloved Liverpool, Man Yoo et al.

Our hard core of support is still that small number from 25 years ago. We've accumulated 10k since those days who would soon disappear if we relegated back to that level.

Attendances are quite interesting to look at. Here's our averages since we've been at the new stadium:

2009/10 - 20,717 (Championship)
    2010/11 - 23,193 (Championship)
    2011/12 - 22,100 (Championship)
    2012/13 - 22,998 (Championship)
    2013/14 - 27,429 (Premier League)
    2014/15 - 21,123 (Championship)
    2015/16 - 16,255 (Championship)
    2016/17 - 16,564 (Championship)
    2017/18 - 19,891 (Championship)

This overview suggests that things are getting better.

In the season immediately following Tan's decision to change shirt colours, our average attendance increased, no doubts due to our Championship winning season, not the shirt change. Had we stayed in blue I reckon we could have added a few thousand to that average attendance. We obviously sold out for our season in the top flight then suffered as a result of relegation.

Over the space of two seasons from Premier League relegation to Russell Slade's first full season, we lost 11,000 fans. That's not unusual, though I'm not saying that it happens to all teams, either. I remember doing a comparison on relegated teams' attendances and many lost large numbers of support, dropping quite a bit lower than attendances in the run up to promotion.

More established teams, when they get relegated, seem to not suffer much of a drop in crowds - Villa's is at a similar level to their last season in the Premier League, while Newcastle's average rose when they were relegated! I suspect this is much to do with having consistently large crowds over a long timescale, where going to games is ingrained.

Our Leeds attendance is unusual this season as, in recent times, Leeds haven't been the draw at home that you'd suspect. A great ticketing offer and the chance to beat the league leaders was always going to bring in a bumper crowd of people that wouldn't necessarily come week in, week out.

We should be happy that our crowds are increased on the last couple of seasons. 15 years ago we would have been delighted with a 5-figure crowd! We had 20 years in the doldrums where 5,000 at a game was an achievement at times. We lost fans over the red shirts as we know and some that have gone back haven't the enthusiasm they once did. Yes, we're capable of getting a large crowd if the conditions are right (call them glory hunters or whatever). I feel that we're trying to reestablish ourselves again and it's coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    We are back to roughly the level we were getting at NP after years of lower tier football but before the cup runs, stadium move and promotion meant the casual and part time fans had to get a season ticket to get Wembley / Premier League tickets and the glory hunting fans did the same. If we had stayed in the top flight for, say five seasons, more of those new fans would be more likely to stick with us when things weren’t so good. If we’d spent Ten years then more again would stay. Building a loyal fan base is about sustained success.

We clearly have a large potential fan base. If we got promoted, next season we would probably see regular 30,000 + crowds. It’s keeping them coming year on year, making going to watch the City a part of thier lives as it is for most of us. If we can do that then instead of a having a hard core of 4-5,000 like we did twenty five years ago or 14-18,000 fans like we do now then we’d have one considerably higher.
    Absolutely right.

Villa and Newcastle have seen their attendances at similar levels following relegation. Norwich and QPR have done similarly.

Teams like Hull, Middlesbrough, Fulham, Burnley, Reading all saw their crowds drop quite a bit after relegation. Boro apart, those teams have had long spells out of the top 2 divisions in the last few decades. I have absolutely no doubts that, if and when Swansea get relegated, their crowds will drop like a stone.

Kids prefer Halloween over football..so even in the holidays they can't attend midweek games.

Ipswich brought how many?

That's just 2 things off the top of my head.

If that JR poster posted this we would be on page 6 already.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    £29 for junior half season tickets & about £120 for an adult, they can't do much more
    I couldn't take mine to a midweek game if the tickets were free and I had hospitality thrown in. Midweek games are a big no for many parents, yes the kids are off this week but many have one off parties and don't mind missing one game to go out and get a load of sweets and dress up.
    I wouldn't get mine home by a respectable enough time to take her to a midweek game, then I'd have to get myself home to my own house on top.

16000, minus and away fans and add in the kids and parents not in attendance. It's hardly the end of the world.

See you at Brentford
    Tan has to take some responsibility for the pathetic crowds, I think we're now starting to see the real impact of his catastrophic act of vandalism.

Prices are good, performances are good, chances of promotion are good. Why has there been 6 sub 20000 gates and 1 sub 16000 gate this season? Kids for a quid last night too!

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post

It is sleeping, a succession of owners have anaesthetised it over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    It was Halloween, kids factor didnt work - they were all out trick n treating or partying (mine was). Plus half terms kids are away.

So that just leaves the adults, 15,951 of usy, should have had more there last night, Ipswich bought about 300 if that.

Burton Albion 2 4 Barnsley 3,761
    Cardiff City 3 1 Ipswich Town 15,951
    Fulham 0 2 Bristol City 17,634
    Hull City 1 3 Middlesbrough 15,454
    Leeds United 1 2 Derby County 28,565
    Norwich City 0 2 Wolves 26,554
    QPQ 1 0 Sheff United 13,604
    Reading 3 1 Nott Forest 14,868
    Sheff Wed 2 1 Millwall 23,403
    Sunderland 3 3 Bolton 26,395

We had the 5th highest attendance last night
    You had the lowest crowd of the season last night, 4000 off the average and 11000 off a recent home game. It's pointless comparing Cardiff's crowds with Leeds' or Burton's. Why are 20000 crowds rare whereas, when the stadium opened, sub 20000 crowds were a rarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Siffredi View Post
    Bake Off 1 - CCFC 0
    Why would anyone watch a cookery programme, you can't taste it, you can't smell it. Seen a BBC headline, over 7 million watched one last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    Tan has to take some responsibility for the pathetic crowds, I think we're now starting to see the real impact of his catastrophic act of vandalism.

Prices are good, performances are good, chances of promotion are good. Why has there been 6 sub 20000 gates and 1 sub 16000 gate this season? Kids for a quid last night too!
    This i believe is wishful thinking on your part and suits your agenda.

Why were there constantly high crowds during the vandelism as you call it.? Success cup final appearances and big name signings gave us the big crowds.

You need to move on. Your not coming back.

We had 26000 v Leeds. Not many that day not going because of Tan.

Tan can be blamed for the rebrand. History. No fault whatsoever for the current crowds.

Exactly - blame Tan for everything despite all evidence to the contrary.

1. People will come to games at £25. They will come at a cheaper price.

2. I have heard fans complain of lack of atmosphere and football culture changing from assholes to family. Many families have to pick their games £.

£ How many fans who travel to the likes of Bristol Villa and Fulham, do not attend home games.

No more than £15 for games, follow the German example.

It's only 18 quid a ticket in some parts of the ground

But the price of admission is just one of a whole load of excuses our sleeping giant of a fan base will use not to attend

Last night it was Halloween

But it was Halloween all over the country so that's bollocks
    Do people really offer 'excuses' for not turning up? Do they need to? If people don't feel that motivated to attend any particular event surely that's their prerogative. I find it comical that some people think that others are obliged to do something because someone else thinks that they should.