+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Six decades of Cardiff City v Bristol City matches.

Six decades of Cardiff City v Bristol City matches.

Re: Six decades of Cardiff City v Bristol City matches.

Andy Gorman 90's

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    Andy Gorman 90's
    Yes, you're right.

The one in the red shirt is obviously Brian Clark, but I'm not sure who the other one is.

80s was it the only Home win in the period.

60's Clark and Peter McCall ?

70's Wimshurst

80's - only game in which we scored at Ashton Gate during this period

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    The one in the red shirt is obviously Brian Clark, but I'm not sure who the other one is.
    Brian Clark is right.

Quote Originally Posted by BINGE THINKING View Post
    60's Clark and Peter McCall ?

70's Wimshurst

80's - only game in which we scored at Ashton Gate during this period
    I'm wondering now if the second picture is of who e Bay says it is, he's a bit before my time so I can't say for certain it is him and I would have thought you or cardiff 55 would have got him.

70s, Wimshurst is correct.

80s. There's always a risk involved when using the word "unique" like I did in this question, because there's always the chance something else that could be termed that way also happened in the time frame specified, but Jimmy McInch scored in a League Cup tie a few months after the game I referred to in 1974 - there's something else I had in mind when setting the question.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'm wondering now if the second picture is of who e Bay says it is, he's a bit before my time so I can't say for certain it is him and I would have thought you or cardiff 55 would have got him.

70s, Wimshurst is correct.

80s. There's always a risk involved when using the word "unique" like I did in this question, because there's always the chance something else that could be termed that way also happened in the time frame specified, but Jimmy McInch scored in a League Cup tie a few months after the game I referred to in 1974 - there's something else I had in mind when setting the question.
    The second picture doesn't look much like any City players who scored against Bristol City during the 60's so thought it must be one of the own goal gang. I've no idea what Peter McCall looks like but it doesn't really look like the other 60's member Gordon Low either. Would plump for him though as a hopeful second choice.

80's requires much more meditation !

The second picture doesn't look much like any City players who scored against Bristol City during the 60's so thought it must be one of the own goal gang. I've no idea what Peter McCall looks like but it doesn't really look like the other 60's member Gordon Low either. Would plump for him though as a hopeful second choice.

80's requires much more meditation !
    There's a reason why I did not say what decade those two players scored against Bristol City! One of them played for us in the 60s, but didn't score his goal against Bristol in that decade.

There's a reason why I did not say what decade those two players scored against Bristol City! One of them played for us in the 60s, but didn't score his goal against Bristol in that decade.
    Brian Lewis????

Ah - then maybe Johnny Watkins

Think you are right there. Before my time but I remember the name.

He and Brian were both from Bristol.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Brian Lewis????
    No.

Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Think you are right there. Before my time but I remember the name.

He and Brian were both from Bristol.
    Yes, they both played for Bristol City (think Watkins plated for both Bristol clubs).

No.
    j

Meant Bernard Lewis,but I know it isn't him now anyway!!

John Akinde of Barnet is the 00s answer, Richard O'Donnell of Rotherham is the 10s.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    John Akinde of Barnet is the 00s answer, Richard O'Donnell of Rotherham is the 10s.
    Both correct. The answer to the 80s question is now on the blog, but if anyone wants to try and get it without looking, I think I'm right in saying that the last time the event which provides the answer happened in a City v wurzels match was in 2011 and the time before that it happened was in 2001.

Both correct. The answer to the 80s question is now on the blog, but if anyone wants to try and get it without looking, I think I'm right in saying that the last time the event which provides the answer happened in a City v wurzels match was in 2011 and the time before that it happened was in 2001.
    Good question. I'd completely forgotten Wheeler was a local lad for some reason (I'd forgotten it about Phil Bater last season too). If there's such an ailment as birthplace blind spot then I've got it.

That game may have seen one of the first appearances of the Allux sponsored shirt, it must've come out around then. I bumped into Phil Brignull on Saturday (I'm such a name-dropper, I know). As we shook hands the first thing he said was "have you found out who that player in the snow was yet?'. He says he's kept the picture on his phone and goes back to it now and again. I may not see him again for some time now but I'm sure he'll get a message to me through his son if he makes a breakthrough. Hope springs eternal.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Good question. I'd completely forgotten Wheeler was a local lad for some reason (I'd forgotten it about Phil Bater last season too). If there's such an ailment as birthplace blind spot then I've got it.

That game may have seen one of the first appearances of the Allux sponsored shirt, it must've come out around then. I bumped into Phil Brignull on Saturday (I'm such a name-dropper, I know). As we shook hands the first thing he said was "have you found out who that player in the snow was yet?'. He says he's kept the picture on his phone and goes back to it now and again. I may not see him again for some time now but I'm sure he'll get a message to me through his son if he makes a breakthrough. Hope springs eternal.
    That must be getting on for a year ago now - we've put the poor man through all of that pain on top of him having to play for us in the mid 80s .

That must be getting on for a year ago now - we've put the poor man through all of that pain on top of him having to play for us in the mid 80s .
    He seems remarkably unaffected by the trauma of having to play under Durban here. Him and his family are the nicest people you could possibly meet (apart from me, of course).