+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bye to Sky

Re: Bye to Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    Their model is based around giving customers a "good" deal. That is why I am paying less than a neighbour, and more than a colleague. It's how they work, they keep lowering prices until you think "bloody hell, that's a great deal". Some people stop at 30%, others at 50. That will never change, despite what the trainee on the phones says.
    You could well be right .

You probably know better than everyone about everything ,will I ever learn ?

Otherwise what would be the point of you remaining on the message board of a side you no longer support ?

Customer numbers are more important than subscription values. Why? Because advertising revenues are dependent on good subscriber numbers. Hence, they will always offer discounts to retain or pull in new customers.

Sky are under enormous threat. Sooner or later they will lose more football rights to internet broadcasters. The concept of watching something at 8pm or recording it at 9pm belongs to an era of Commodore 64s and Right Said Fred top of the charts.
    Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Otherwise what would be the point of you remaining on the message board of a side you no longer support ?
    Now I KNOW you're looking for a bite. Pathetic.

Not sure why you think it's appropriate to bring my boycott into this thread, but it's a desperate attempt to belittle a debate that everyone else (except Mandy) has been contributing in without getting personal.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Spot on.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...rise-revenues/

Netflix costs me £9 a month. I can watch any of their content at any time without downloading it, recording it, searching TV listings for it. Plus, it's in HD and, in many cases, UHD. I don't have to wait a week for the next episode of my favourite shows. I don't have to phone Netflix every 12 months to haggle for a new deal. I can share (and do share) my Netflix account with family (they have no problem with this at present). I don't have to watch any advertisements. I don't have to watch trailers for the next show.

Sky was costing me 4-5 times as much. For re-runs of shows, 1 (ONE) new movie a day, and football. When there were just a handful of channels (1989), Sky were charging £8.99 a month. They have always been overpriced, but were the only show in town until recently.

If people could be bothered to work out how much 1 hour of their TV viewing costs - they'd maybe think again. I watch about 6-8 hours of TV on "Sky" a week. Most of that is, I now discover, free to air! Sky never tell you that when they're boasting about their 340 channels.

Netflix costs me £9 a month. I can watch any of their content at any time without downloading it, recording it, searching TV listings for it. Plus, it's in HD and, in many cases, UHD. I don't have to wait a week for the next episode of my favourite shows. I don't have to phone Netflix every 12 months to haggle for a new deal. I can share (and do share) my Netflix account with family (they have no problem with this at present). I don't have to watch any advertisements. I don't have to watch trailers for the next show.

Sky was costing me 4-5 times as much. For re-runs of shows, 1 (ONE) new movie a day, and football. When there were just a handful of channels (1989), Sky were charging £8.99 a month. They have always been overpriced, but were the only show in town until recently.

If people could be bothered to work out how much 1 hour of their TV viewing costs - they'd maybe think again. I watch about 6-8 hours of TV on "Sky" a week. Most of that is, I now discover, free to air! Sky never tell you that when they're boasting about their 340 channels.
    Much of Sky's bluster is promoting what they have. They have to sell a product.

At a low(ish) amount, I wonder how many people will just put up with paying it? If lots of Sky customers decided to leave en masse, Murdoch and his cohorts will be shitting bricks.

Times are changing though.

My reason for sticking with Sky has been that I didn’t want to lose programmes that I enjoy watching. Since getting Netflix and Amazon I’ve realised just how little ‘decent’ stuff is actually on Sky. With the exception of the ‘flagship’ programmes (mainly on Sky Atlantic) there’s nothing to keep me paying anymore.

When someone like me (my idea of technology is being impressed by being able to press a green button to start the next episode) can embrace Netflix etc. then Sky needs to be worried about being left behind in terms of what people now expect for their money.

Bye to SKY...I'm always amazed that anyone said hello to SKY in the first place!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    They’ll soon change their tune when subscriptions go down.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    Times are changing though.

My reason for sticking with Sky has been that I didn’t want to lose programmes that I enjoy watching. Since getting Netflix and Amazon I’ve realised just how little ‘decent’ stuff is actually on Sky. With the exception of the ‘flagship’ programmes (mainly on Sky Atlantic) there’s nothing to keep me paying anymore.

When someone like me (my idea of technology is being impressed by being able to press a green button to start the next episode) can embrace Netflix etc. then Sky needs to be worried about being left behind in terms of what people now expect for their money.
    Actually, that is a trap that we fell into. My wife loves Game of Thrones, and my son loves Cartoon Network. I like football. With Sky - to get those things I have to buy all their bundles. Sky have the facility to charge people as they watch, watch Amazing World of Gumball - that'll be 20p. Watching Liverpool v Man U - that's £3.50. Instead it is - "You want the Cartoon Network, you have to pay for MTV as well".

We were paying £40 pm for the Game of Thrones (12 episodes a year), a game or two a month and often repeated cartoons.

Since I've subscribed to Netflix, I would say that I am paying about 30p per hour for our extended family viewing. And, we're not watching things twice. And, most of the Netflix series are there for good (unless they star Kevin Spacey). Netflix is incredibly user friendly, my mum has no problems watching things there and she often gives me a call to say something I may be interested in has just started.

Have a look at at NOW TV from sky. You subscribe on a monthly , weekly or even daily basis (for sport) can cancel as and when you wish. They do entertainment pack for I think £8 a month

Buy a decent free sat box for your free to air stuff if you still want the ability to record etc. Most come now with a searchable TV guide where u just click on a program sat from 2 days ago and it will start to play via the appropriate on demand service.

As for Tv rights etc , I’d be amazed if amazon or Netflix or even Facebook don’t get involved in the bidding next time round.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    Have a look at at NOW TV from sky. You subscribe on a monthly , weekly or even daily basis (for sport) can cancel as and when you wish. They do entertainment pack for I think £8 a month

Buy a decent free sat box for your free to air stuff if you still want the ability to record etc. Most come now with a searchable TV guide where u just click on a program sat from 2 days ago and it will start to play via the appropriate on demand service.

As for Tv rights etc , I’d be amazed if amazon or Netflix or even Facebook don’t get involved in the bidding next time round.
    Football has been Sky's life support system for over two decades, but those times are a-changing thankfully. As you say, I can see those other platforms coming up with more innovative (and dare I say it, cheaper) pricing for Premier League football which will leave Sky floundering.

Then it's just toxic rags The Sun and The Daily Mail to get rid of and Murdoch can finally be expelled.

Be careful with the Freesat box idea. I went to try that and discovered that I would have to pay SKY a subscription just to record free to air stuff!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe View Post
    Football has been Sky's life support system for over two decades, but those times are a-changing thankfully. As you say, I can see those other platforms coming up with more innovative (and dare I say it, cheaper) pricing for Premier League football which will leave Sky floundering.

Then it's just toxic rags The Sun and The Daily Mail to get rid of and Murdoch can finally be expelled.
    As soon as Facebook and Amazon get involved, watching football on "TV" will become a whole lot cheaper. Why? Because they will sell it to punters game by game. You won't have to pay for Golf, Cricket, Netball or Kabaddi just to get to the sport you want.

I'm hoping the next round of bidding sees the big internet companies come in (Netflix won't be interested) because they can and will blow Sky out of the water. Then Murdoch is left with his papers - and no-one reads that shite anymore anyhow. Hope he lives to see it.

As soon as Facebook and Amazon get involved, watching football on "TV" will become a whole lot cheaper. Why? Because they will sell it to punters game by game. You won't have to pay for Golf, Cricket, Netball or Kabaddi just to get to the sport you want.

I'm hoping the next round of bidding sees the big internet companies come in (Netflix won't be interested) because they can and will blow Sky out of the water. Then Murdoch is left with his papers - and no-one reads that shite anymore anyhow. Hope he lives to see it.
    I think if Amazon were to come in (they apparently have the financial clout to buy it all if they so wish), they'd bundle it in with their Prime offering (or an upgraded Prime).

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley Harriott View Post
    I think if Amazon were to come in (they apparently have the financial clout to buy it all if they so wish), they'd bundle it in with their Prime offering (or an upgraded Prime).
    they will want to turn a profit on it, then see if they can squeeze more profit the next time, then try again

Actually, that is a trap that we fell into. My wife loves Game of Thrones, and my son loves Cartoon Network. I like football. With Sky - to get those things I have to buy all their bundles. Sky have the facility to charge people as they watch, watch Amazing World of Gumball - that'll be 20p. Watching Liverpool v Man U - that's £3.50. Instead it is - "You want the Cartoon Network, you have to pay for MTV as well".

We were paying £40 pm for the Game of Thrones (12 episodes a year), a game or two a month and often repeated cartoons.

Since I've subscribed to Netflix, I would say that I am paying about 30p per hour for our extended family viewing. And, we're not watching things twice. And, most of the Netflix series are there for good (unless they star Kevin Spacey). Netflix is incredibly user friendly, my mum has no problems watching things there and she often gives me a call to say something I may be interested in has just started.
    I love Netflix. If I'm not fussed on a series there's always a documentary.
    Is Amazon any good for the price?
    I worked out I more or less watch sky Atlantic, the odd show on there like billions, ray Donovan and GOT..ill likely cut my sky off and get a decent broadband.

Need to sort my android box out for things such as the sky Atlantic programmes and the odd football match or boxing...

Is Fox on any of the other options ? ? ? i havent checked

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Is Fox on any of the other options ? ? ? i havent checked
    Fox is on Now TV - it is owned by Murdoch isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Be careful with the Freesat box idea. I went to try that and discovered that I would have to pay SKY a subscription just to record free to air stuff!!
    A freesat box doesn’t need any subscription.

https://www.freesat.co.uk/?gclid=EAI...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Only need a subscription if u wish to continue to use a sky box to get your free to air channels and to record.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I worked out I more or less watch sky Atlantic, the odd show on there like billions, ray Donovan and GOT..ill likely cut my sky off and get a decent broadband.

Need to sort my android box out for things such as the sky Atlantic programmes and the odd football match or boxing...
    Netflix has been a complete revolution to our TV viewing at home. It is dirt cheap.

Amazon is quite good (seems to be a better choice of movies, some good TV shows) but I would sacrifice that if I could only afford one of the two.

I find the lip sync issues on Amazon quite often - especially the UHD stuff - but have no such issues on Netflix.

Both are worth their fees, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Sky TV is basically - Football and maybe sky arts. The rest is drivel.
    Sky Atlantic does have some good drama to be fair

A freesat box doesn’t need any subscription.

https://www.freesat.co.uk/?gclid=EAI...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Only need a subscription if u wish to continue to use a sky box to get your free to air channels and to record.
    I took out my Sky card last night, and could still view a large number of channels. Some of the free to air HD channels were not available (More4HD for example). I couldn't record, but I find I use iplayer these days anyway. When Sky plus first came out, we would be recording constantly - now we rarely record anyway, and I personally think recording functionality will be less of a requirement for the general public advance to one moves on.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Sky Atlantic does have some good drama to be fair
    It does, plus the excellent Silicon Valley and Curb your Enthusiasm. I plan on getting Now TV when these shows appear in box set format. I know there are ways to get this content for free, but I'd prefer to pay just for the sake of fairness to fellow viewers.

We normally do our weekly shop on Sunday in Sainsbury’s but yesterday we went to M&S instead.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post

Amazon is ok but in terms of content Netflix is much better.

I only subscribed to Amazon Prime for the free next day delivery - with Christmas coming it’ll save me a fortune in delivery charges.

Not sure if I’ll stick with it in the long term but 7.99 a month isn’t a lot to pay out anyway.