+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bye to Sky

Re: Bye to Sky

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

The Murdoch empire is a creakin'!
    Most people are lazy and not bothered about price. Yes people will say "I ain't paying that" but not many of them will take action.

Sky staff are allowed to give up to 67 percent off. They'll humour you with a touch off here and there and knock it down 15 quid and moat will swallow it up and stay.

I got rid of Sky around 10 years ago and have never looked back. I won't put a brass farthing anywhere near a Rupert Murdoch business, but that wasn't the initial reason.

I just found I was watching less and less of the crap that filled their multiple channels, and their stealth like monthly increases took the piss.

I now get to see anything I want, for a fraction of the cost and without financially supporting the evil dictatorship.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Just bought a new house and moving in within the next fortnight. What’s the best package I can get with sport (Sky and BT), it all seems overly expensive to the point that I’m not going to bother.
    What’s the going rate per month?
    Wait until black friday. I got 50% off movies and sport last year. I also have half price fibre broadband.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    Wait until black friday. I got 50% off movies and sport last year. I also have half price fibre broadband.
    I've just checked and, essentially, I get all the channels apart from the ones with "Sky" in front of them and "Fox" for a good £40 less a month at BT. BT Sports isn't half bad, French, Italian, German, Scottish and PL Football. Ashes this winter. I've also discovered just how many channels Sky carries that are actually free.

I really think the Sky model is doomed to fail in the long term, and I wonder how many under 30s are subscribing to Sky. I think it's only something that people subscribe to out of habit.

Could anyone recommend an UK subscription IPTV package that seems genuinely reliable, maybe?

Most that I've looked at so far either have websites that look like they were knocked up by a pensioner attending a computer night-class, or else full of dreadful grammar and errors, or both. Hardly inspiring ;)

This is not my field of expertise - are any of them legal / dependable / recommendable?

We phoned up to cancel Sky Sports once and I'm sure the Sky Operator thought he was some 'bigwig' within the organisation. He was hinting that he could get more Cardiff City games featured in the next 4 months if we stayed with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    We phoned up to cancel Sky Sports once and I'm sure the Sky Operator thought he was some 'bigwig' within the organisation. He was hinting that he could get more Cardiff City games featured in the next 4 months if we stayed with them.
    There's two Cardiff games on next month, so maybe he was

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    Got to be honest, once my sky deal expires I'll be binning the whole thing.
    Since I've started with Netflix and Amazon I barely watch 'normal' telly any more. Apart from game of thrones and walking dead there's nothing I actually bother watching through sky these days.

As for the football, let's be honest the premier league is mostly dull crap. I'm struggling to think of one decent game I've seen so far this season. Looking forward to man city v arsenal tomorrow but as for mourinho's team of spoilers after that I'll probably go for a nice long shit instead.

Amazon and Netflix for telly. Pub for the footy will do me once my time is up.
    Spot on .

Managed to nearly half my bill with virgin earlier today, we were paying a crazy £92 per month (rising to £95 soon), took an hour on the phone and lots of haggling but now paying £54 for the same deal but getting a new V6 box and 200mbit Broadband so I'm happy

Quote Originally Posted by Philo2 View Post
    Managed to nearly half my bill with virgin earlier today, we were paying a crazy £92 per month (rising to £95 soon), took an hour on the phone and lots of haggling but now paying £54 for the same deal but getting a new V6 box and 200mbit Broadband so I'm happy
    Good work!
    I'm sure they all have loooads of wriggle room if you make them. A ton a month is a hell of a cost, but if folks will pay it, they will try to charge it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimto View Post
    Good work!
    I'm sure they all have loooads of wriggle room if you make them. A ton a month is a hell of a cost, but if folks will pay it, they will try to charge it.
    They can give 67% off

Quote Originally Posted by Vimto View Post
    Could anyone recommend an UK subscription IPTV package that seems genuinely reliable, maybe?

Most that I've looked at so far either have websites that look like they were knocked up by a pensioner attending a computer night-class, or else full of dreadful grammar and errors, or both. Hardly inspiring ;)

This is not my field of expertise - are any of them legal / dependable / recommendable?
    I'd PM you with the details of the one I have, but I think you need to adjust your profile to allow that.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    They can give 67% off
    My daughter has just taken a job with Sky on the phones.

No more discounts coming up , if you want it you will have to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    Happily quit Sky now that my 60% off contract has ended. But, their arrogance is astonishing.

"What will you do for TV now?" - "I'll just subscribe to Netflix and watch Freeview". "You can't compare Netflix to us". "True, I'm paying you to fill up 20 minutes of every hour with adverts".

When they called to check that I still wanted to cancel

"What will you do for TV now?" "I'm getting BT for £20 a month" "But they don't have 340 channels like we do" "Hmmm, but how many of those 240 are time lapsed channels, shopping channels, religious channels and Urdu/Bangladeshi channels".

Actually, once you knock all those channels off, the only thing I would lose are the Sky channels. BT Sport is getting more rights, and is in UHD, and in a couple of years everything will be internet based anyway. Sky is ridiculously overpriced, and their Unique Selling Point has long since disappeared.
    Sky are distraught by all accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post
    I'd PM you with the details of the one I have, but I think you need to adjust your profile to allow that.
    Done - Cheers, that would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Sky TV is basically - Football and maybe sky arts. The rest is drivel.
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    but as for mourinho's team of spoilers after that I'll probably go for a nice long shit instead.
    Seeing that has Come from Russell Slade's biggest fan, I'm flabbergasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post

Shite.

Good. Perhaps they can now start offering lower fixed prices instead of taking the piss and trying to get away with it. I don’t recall the BBC license fee being overpriced and subject to a discount to the more aware customers.

They’ll soon change their tune when subscriptions go down.

Sky are distraught by all accounts.
    Poor Jimmy, puts in a lot of effort for a bite and rarely gets it.

How often have we heard that.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    How often have we heard that.
    Sky are arguably under more threat than ever before from others that keeping customers must be more of a priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    They’ll soon change their tune when subscriptions go down.
    Their model is based around giving customers a "good" deal. That is why I am paying less than a neighbour, and more than a colleague. It's how they work, they keep lowering prices until you think "bloody hell, that's a great deal". Some people stop at 30%, others at 50. That will never change, despite what the trainee on the phones says.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Sky are arguably under more threat than ever before from others that keeping customers must be more of a priority.
    Customer numbers are more important than subscription values. Why? Because advertising revenues are dependent on good subscriber numbers. Hence, they will always offer discounts to retain or pull in new customers.

Sky are under enormous threat. Sooner or later they will lose more football rights to internet broadcasters. The concept of watching something at 8pm or recording it at 9pm belongs to an era of Commodore 64s and Right Said Fred top of the charts.