Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
Times are changing though.

My reason for sticking with Sky has been that I didn’t want to lose programmes that I enjoy watching. Since getting Netflix and Amazon I’ve realised just how little ‘decent’ stuff is actually on Sky. With the exception of the ‘flagship’ programmes (mainly on Sky Atlantic) there’s nothing to keep me paying anymore.

When someone like me (my idea of technology is being impressed by being able to press a green button to start the next episode) can embrace Netflix etc. then Sky needs to be worried about being left behind in terms of what people now expect for their money.
Actually, that is a trap that we fell into. My wife loves Game of Thrones, and my son loves Cartoon Network. I like football. With Sky - to get those things I have to buy all their bundles. Sky have the facility to charge people as they watch, watch Amazing World of Gumball - that'll be 20p. Watching Liverpool v Man U - that's £3.50. Instead it is - "You want the Cartoon Network, you have to pay for MTV as well".

We were paying £40 pm for the Game of Thrones (12 episodes a year), a game or two a month and often repeated cartoons.

Since I've subscribed to Netflix, I would say that I am paying about 30p per hour for our extended family viewing. And, we're not watching things twice. And, most of the Netflix series are there for good (unless they star Kevin Spacey). Netflix is incredibly user friendly, my mum has no problems watching things there and she often gives me a call to say something I may be interested in has just started.