+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: "free" online radio

"free" online radio

When City are not playing i like to listen to football matches with "free" online radio stations. I think the BBC coverage is terrible. Are there any out there that will let me do this? Would really appreciate any help.

Re: "free" online radio

Was listening to the first half in the car. When I got home I downloaded bbc radio iPlayer, tuned in to radio wales and they had some other programme on

I always seem to bump into that 'due to rights restrictions' announcement whenever I try to listen to City via t'internet Wireless

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Was listening to the first half in the car. When I got home I downloaded bbc radio iPlayer, tuned in to radio wales and they had some other programme on
    Regional DAB is the only place to listen to us I think without Cardiff City player.
    If you're not in SE Wales then you're fiicked unless the oppositions' local station are covering the game.
    Last edited by The Bloop; 05-11-17 at 16:38. Reason: .

Quote Originally Posted by Vimto View Post
    I always seem to bump into that 'due to rights restrictions' announcement whenever I try to listen to City via t'internet Wireless
    Would somebody explain to me in idiot terms why I could listen to it on an fm radio but not online on modile/tablet as it hasn't got the rights...whats the difference Please?

I had ifollow on Saturday and I missed loads of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Would somebody explain to me in idiot terms why I could listen to it on an fm radio but not online on modile/tablet as it hasn't got the rights...whats the difference Please?

I had ifollow on Saturday and I missed loads of the game.
    Apparently BBC has terrestrial radio rights - in UK - but not internet streaming rights, which is 'International' *
    * either in actuality or with a bit of tweaking.

Madness with global hacking and streaming we can't get around trying to listen to tge City commentray easy/west of Cardiff ,something has changed as I clearly remeber using" tune in radio" in Spain to get around this absurdness.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Madness with global hacking and streaming we can't get around trying to listen to tge City commentray easy/west of Cardiff ,something has changed as I clearly remeber using" tune in radio" in Spain to get around this absurdness.
    I have often wondered if any of you ever Skype a friend who is listening to the game on Radio Wales.

Apparently BBC has terrestrial radio rights - in UK - but not internet streaming rights, which is 'International' *
    By and large that's it.

I remember Real Radio having exclusive rights to broadcast our games within our locality - that meant they enjoyed local radio rights. I'm presuming that Radio Wales carried on with those rights after Real Radio decided to ditch live coverage. Prior to this, Radio Wales would broadcast one live game from one team across Wales, which would have involved different rights from local radio rights. Radio Cymru, being Welsh language, would probably have different rights due to language, but Radio Wales must be governed by local radio rights. I assume this is how Radio Wales currently broadcasts live games for all Welsh teams. Rights are more stringent in the Premier League, which is why they can't use their local rights to broadcast Swansea games to the whole of Wales.

I doubt Radio Wales could actually go back to the days of covering one game exclusively from one Welsh team. Wales-only rights surely no longer exist and broadcasting to the whole of Wales would be technically the same as broadcasting to the whole of the UK, which their license won't cover.

In addition, I've found out that in terms of radio rights, they are sold in a number of different packages.

Local radio rights - go generally to local BBC stations though some commercial stations have a higher bid and win contracts. FM radio is usually the medium for these. This cannot be precise to all local areas and is dependent on local transmission areas. I understand that some transmitters in South East Wales aren't relayed from Wenvoe so don't carry Cardiff matches despite being in the area. As rights are localised, the broadcaster is not permitted (bar a separate agreement) from broadcasting them to a wider audience (ie internet).

Worldwide internet rights - obviously has to be worldwide, often run by clubs, sometimes in partnership with local broadcasters. These are usually commercial, as opposed to free-to-air like local rights.

Those are generally the arrangements for all of a club's games. National broadcasters, mainly Radio 5 and Talksport will have a license to broadcast games nationally, not for a particular club, but for a league overall where they can pick which games they broadcast.

Thanks for that

My son is in Sheffield and we've been trying to figure out how to catch city games on the radio. He's got ifollow so can get that commentary but it's a bit crap. Anybody tried any of the radio apps? He rings us and we Skype the commentary at the moment😀

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    My son is in Sheffield and we've been trying to figure out how to catch city games on the radio. He's got ifollow so can get that commentary but it's a bit crap. Anybody tried any of the radio apps? He rings us and we Skype the commentary at the moment��
    Skype is probably the best way. There is no legal way to listen on any radio app as broadcasters are not allowed to exceed their rights

Is there anyone still on here that were part of the Skype group? There was one bloke who streamed the radio over Skype and a group of us dialled into a Skype group to listen in. That was ages ago - probably about 10 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    Is there anyone still on here that were part of the Skype group? There was one bloke who streamed the radio over Skype and a group of us dialled into a Skype group to listen in. That was ages ago - probably about 10 years?
    He skypearred

Use a vpn which is based in cardiff should do the trick

Quote Originally Posted by fred keenor View Post
    Use a vpn which is based in cardiff should do the trick
    Not for Radio Wales. It won't work.