+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 307 mass shooting

Re: 307 mass shooting

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Joe Walsh, a former congressman, controversial shockjock and idiot tweets:

"I have a right to speak my mind, practice my religion, freely assemble, and carry a firearm. These rights come from God, not government."

I don't know whether he really believes that but it seems there is a large number of Americans who do. If I lived in the States, that kind of outlook would worry me a lot.
    Did you see that interview with the local sherrif ?

Guns don't kill people , people do

Fecking hell

Those Texas police and some of the people they interviewed looked like they came straight from the set of the Texas chainsaw massacre or the hills have eyes

In god we trust ff sake

Well he didn't help out those people murdered by the gun yesterday did he !!

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Good on her
    Indeed. Fire her for expressing her first amendment right, but God help anyone who tries to restrict her second amendment right.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Joe Walsh, a former congressman, controversial shockjock and idiot tweets:

"I have a right to speak my mind, practice my religion, freely assemble, and carry a firearm. These rights come from God, not government."

I don't know whether he really believes that but it seems there is a large number of Americans who do. If I lived in the States, that kind of outlook would worry me a lot.
    Great guitarist though

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Great guitarist though
    Which band is God in?

How do we know Christ's teaching was one of love ?

The Bible ?

That was written many years after his death , if he even existed !

There is no evidence whatsoever that there is a god , none

Nobody has gone to heaven and come back to tell us how great it is ......you would have thought that God , who is supposed to be all powerful would have made someone do that to make sure we all loved each other , protected the planet and animals and stopped children starving all over the world ?

I am with Richard Dawkins on this , it might be a good book but it's fiction
    There have been thousands of gods worshipped throughout history and in all different locations around the world - and we all know which one most people believe in i.e. the one they were indoctrinated with as a child. Religions generally travel along the same routes as languages and Empires. That's why you are likely to be a Catholic if you speak Spanish etc. And what most current-day Abrahamists would have believed in just over two thousand years ago is anyone's guess. Depends on what bed they were born in methinks.

Quote Originally Posted by I.8.POLITICAL.CORRECTNESS View Post
    Don't you worry about being non pc Blue remember thought crime is not a crime
    What's he said that's not PC? Why do people who talk about non PC never have any idea what it actually is?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    What's he said that's not PC? Why do people who talk about non PC never have any idea what it actually is?
    i was agreeing with what he was suggesting in his post
    and was just commenting on his comment about being non-pc
    because what he posted was not offensive it did not seek to marginalize any sets of groups it was rational
    it wasn't tippy tappy around the subject trying hard not to upset somebody, because of what "group" they see themselves as part of
    in actual fact he was very pc with his post lol

I think I know what political correctness is

There have been thousands of gods worshipped throughout history and in all different locations around the world - and we all know which one most people believe in i.e. the one they were indoctrinated with as a child. Religions generally travel along the same routes as languages and Empires. That's why you are likely to be a Catholic if you speak Spanish etc. And what most current-day Abrahamists would have believed in just over two thousand years ago is anyone's guess. Depends on what bed they were born in methinks.
    We've been gong down the wrong path for millennia, and Zeus is gonna be pretty pissed off when he comes back.

Hi gofer

Are you saying you will go to heaven because you believe in Jesus Christ and people who don't believe in Jesus Christ won't go ?

I thought god was a forgiving type ?

If he is why won't he let people in who are not Christians ? , If this is what you are saying ?

Regards
    Good evening sir.

Q.1: Yes.

Q.2: Heaven is a place for believers/followers of Jesus. Jesus made an extraordinary, almost arrogant claim – no one comes to the Father except by me. Why would non-Christians want or even expect to go there? Surely to them it's a fictional place and Christians are deluding themselves.

God is forgiving but to obtain forgiveness surely first you have to acknowledge that there is something that needs to be forgiven and then ask for forgiveness! That tends to fly in the face of relativism which today's society is based upon - what feels right to me must be right etc. Hence my suggestion that the word “sinner” is a very non-PC expression today – if I called you a sinner I suspect you might be a little upset? The fact that someone professes to be a Christian is an acknowledgment that he/she is a sinner and therefore no different to anyone else in that sense, as we ALL fall short of being the person that Jesus wants us to be. The big difference is that the Christian knows that he/she falls short but has the humility to recognise this.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    See my reply to Sludge Factory.

How do we know Christ's teaching was one of love ?

The Bible ?

That was written many years after his death , if he even existed !

There is no evidence whatsoever that there is a god , none

Nobody has gone to heaven and come back to tell us how great it is ......you would have thought that God , who is supposed to be all powerful would have made someone do that to make sure we all loved each other , protected the planet and animals and stopped children starving all over the world ?

I am with Richard Dawkins on this , it might be a good book but it's fiction
    This is a well worn argument, sorry. Even Taunton Blue Genie will tell you that he has never denied the existence of the historical Jesus (as he once reminded me).

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    "Christian values" is a term used by christians who have hijacked the term "human values" in order to put themselves above the rest of us.

Why are "Christian values" any better than the values of Judaism (The root of Christianity and Islam) or Hinduism, Seikhism, Buddism?

Religions are forced upon the children of adherents in order that the religion will survive. Is there any religion in the world that doesn’t force children to follow?

Yes, Christianity, if you consider Christianity to be a religion (which I don't), i.e. not a relationship with a person, just a follower of an ideology or philosophy. My two sons grew up in a Christian home and were free to choose their own path. They had ample opportunity to turn away (away at university, leaving home to get married etc.) but they have not. We never coerced them - what teenagers would accept that! There is an expression "to love people into the kingdom" - do you seriously think that anyone today could be bullied into becoming a Christian?

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Good evening sir.

Q.1: Yes.

Q.2: Heaven is a place for believers/followers of Jesus. Jesus made an extraordinary, almost arrogant claim – no one comes to the Father except by me. Why would non-Christians want or even expect to go there? Surely to them it's a fictional place and Christians are deluding themselves.

God is forgiving but to obtain forgiveness surely first you have to acknowledge that there is something that needs to be forgiven and then ask for forgiveness! That tends to fly in the face of relativism which today's society is based upon - what feels right to me must be right etc. Hence my suggestion that the word “sinner” is a very non-PC expression today – if I called you a sinner I suspect you might be a little upset? The fact that someone professes to be a Christian is an acknowledgment that he/she is a sinner and therefore no different to anyone else in that sense, as we ALL fall short of being the person that Jesus wants us to be. The big difference is that the Christian knows that he/she falls short but has the humility to recognise this.
    I am not a Christian , have made many mistakes in my life , been arrested and admit I am not perfect

If there is a heaven I believe I will be let in because I have always done my best to help people

But I don't think there is a heaven or a god

Regards

I am not a Christian , have made many mistakes in my life , been arrested and admit I am not perfect

If there is a heaven I believe I will be let in because I have always done my best to help people

Regards
    You’ll be alright Sludge, being an ex cop I will be on St Michaels pay roll up there doing security and i’ll Let you in after you’ve done your purgatory for some of that shocking metal you’re into 😉👍

[/COLOR]

Yes, Christianity, if you consider Christianity to be a religion (which I don't), i.e. not a relationship with a person, just a follower of an ideology or philosophy. My two sons grew up in a Christian home and were free to choose their own path. They had ample opportunity to turn away (away at university, leaving home to get married etc.) but they have not. We never coerced them - what teenagers would accept that! There is an expression "to love people into the kingdom" - do you seriously think that anyone today could be bullied into becoming a Christian?
    My sisters kid was brought up by my sister and her husband who are both devout , god fearing Catholics

Is it any surprise she has turned out the same ?

The difference is she is very bright and studying anthropology and evolution at king's college London and surely she will over the course of her studies realise that the earth is billions of years old and that , in my opinion , creationism is nonsense

At least l hope she does

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    You’ll be alright Sludge, being an ex cop I will be on St Michaels pay roll up there doing security and i’ll Let you in after you’ve done your purgatory for some of that shocking metal you’re into 😉👍
    Nice one officer

Regards
    OK, so don't worry about it then. As Dawkins has said - "there probably is no God, so stop worrying and get on with your life". Remember the famous slogan on the side of the bus -

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ri...0jygJyyvms-EM:

My sisters kid was brought up by my sister and her husband who are both devout , god fearing Catholics

Is it any surprise she has turned out the same ?

The difference is she is very bright and studying anthropology and evolution at king's college London and surely she will over the course of her studies realise that the earth is billions of years old and that , in my opinion , creationism is nonsense

At least l hope she does
    Maybe. On the other hand she may discover that the age of the earth has no relevance whatsoever to matters of the human condition and the chaos in the world.

Maybe. On the other hand she may discover that the age of the earth has no relevance whatsoever to matters of the human condition and the chaos in the world.
    But Christians believe the Bible to be the word of God and that the earth was created in 10000 years

Why wasn't there any mention of dinosaurs in the Bible ?

God is supposed to be omnipresent ......everywhere , all the time , watching over us ......you don't seriously believe that do you ?

Why didn't he stop Adolf Hitler ?

Why does he allow people to die in tower blocks in horrible fires , some of them young children ?

Why does a young doctor get killed in a car crash when he had so many lives to save and a bright future ?

God is all powerful isn't he ?

I simply cannot accept there is a god if he is supposed to be everywhere at all times and all powerful

Regards

[/COLOR]

So they had to wait until they were teenagers and went to Uni or left home to get married before they could make their own decision? (Meaning they were about 18 years old, and therefore adults, not children)
    In the meantime, up until those opportunities came about, were they taught your religion by you and other followers?
    If one of your children at the age of 10 had said “I no longer want to follow your religion, I don’t believe any of it”, would you have allowed them that privilege? (Don’t forget, telling lies is a sin)

[/COLOR]

You didn’t answer my first question.

[/COLOR]

It is pretty obvious that a religious upbringing affects the belief systems of children in quite a fundamental manner. If people were allowed to be religion-free until adulthood the results would be different as to how they perceive the world and the eventual religious or non-religious path that they would follow. Creating a belief system in a child is a very strong influence and a considerable traction, something that has been recognised by purveyors of religious and political dogmas throughout time.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathl...b_5664805.html

"In our first study, we found that children’s judgments about characters in biblical narratives were strongly affected by their upbringing. Children who had had some form of religious education - via church, parochial school or both — generally judged the central character to be a real person. Children who did not have religious education — who did not go to church and went to a secular school — largely judged the central character to be fictional.

In a follow-up study, we obtained a similar pattern for what we might call quasi-biblical stories — stories that included miraculous events but not ones that children would read about in the Bible. For example, we told children a story about the parting of the mountains. Religious children were more likely than non-religious children to think that the main character was real."

God is supposed to be omnipresent ......everywhere , all the time , watching over us ......you don't seriously believe that do you ?
    He's been replaced by the Snoopers Charter

It is pretty obvious that a religious upbringing affects the belief systems of children in quite a fundamental manner. If people were allowed to be religion-free until adulthood the results would be different as to how they perceive the world and the eventual religious or non-religious path that they would follow. Creating a belief system in a child is a very strong influence and a considerable traction, something that has been recognised by purveyors of religious and political dogmas throughout time.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathl...b_5664805.html

"In our first study, we found that children’s judgments about characters in biblical narratives were strongly affected by their upbringing. Children who had had some form of religious education - via church, parochial school or both — generally judged the central character to be a real person. Children who did not have religious education — who did not go to church and went to a secular school — largely judged the central character to be fictional.

In a follow-up study, we obtained a similar pattern for what we might call quasi-biblical stories — stories that included miraculous events but not ones that children would read about in the Bible. For example, we told children a story about the parting of the mountains. Religious children were more likely than non-religious children to think that the main character was real."
    I'm quite sure this is correct, in fact thinking about it, it is stating the bleeding obvious as they say. However surely it works both ways? If children are told that Christianity is a load of bull, should we be surprised that they reject it?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    So they had to wait until they were teenagers and went to Uni or left home to get married before they could make their own decision? (Meaning they were about 18 years old, and therefore adults, not children)
    I say again, what modern teenagers would blindly follow what their parents say/do? I was brought up in a Christian home myself but at secondary school I rejected Christianity totally (aged about 14 probably). This was because I was very interested in science and thought, as many people do, that science had all the answers and had debunked Christianity as a myth/nice story. I became a Christian in my early 40’s because I took the trouble to stand back and take a serious look at it.

In the meantime, up until those opportunities came about, were they taught your religion by you and other followers?
    They had lots of school friends from secular homes but still came to church with us and learnt about Jesus, yes. Where else would they learn it? They didn’t have to do that as undoubtedly they were ridiculed by some for it.

If one of your children at the age of 10 had said “I no longer want to follow your religion, I don’t believe any of it”, would you have allowed them that privilege? (Don’t forget, telling lies is a sin)
    Of course I would. After all I did exactly that! Not sure if at 10 a child is mature enough to make such a decision though?