+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 118

Thread: 307 mass shooting

  1. #31

    Re: 307 mass shooting

    What Trump and his his government and NRA mates don’t seem to realise is that it’s bad enough having normal people owning their own gun arsenal but to blame the latest shooting on the gunman’s mental state is ridiculous how can they let people like him have guns. He was kicked out of the USAF for assaulting his wife and child so he’s had previous FFS

  2. #32

    Re: 307 mass shooting

    USA: Where retrospective prayers are preferred to gun control. Says it all.

  3. #33

    Re: 307 mass shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    from another side of the argument, what harm are they doing ? ? ?

    Plenty of really decent people are religious, they do great jobs with charities ( home and abroad ) that are organised through the name of religion, would they would still do it if they were not part of religion ? ? who knows ? ? ? that must be a massive plus

    It is easy to knock any churchy-joe, but plenty give more than they take out of society, if they take comfort in the knowledge that the big man upstairs will look after them when they die / or they are reincarnated ( delete as applicable ) who are we to judge them
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-children.html

  4. #34

    Re: 307 mass shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    You might not have said it but I think a lot of religious people think they have a moral superiority over those of us who are not , I think deep down it's a social get together , a fashion parade etc every Sunday for people who deep down are afraid of death

    There may well be an afterlife , who knows but you don't have to be religious to be moral , kind and a good person
    Nail on the head. Religion was invented for people who are afraid of death and can't understand the concept of death being the final part of the cycle of life.

  5. #35

    Re: 307 mass shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Nail on the head. Religion was invented for people who are afraid of death and can't understand the concept of death being the final part of the cycle of life.
    I prefer Richard Dawkins explanation.
    For very good survival reasons, we as a species have evolved to (mostly) follow what our elders do, believe what they believe, and accept things as correct if they have always been done that way, even if you can't understand the reasons why, especially when we are children.
    This evolved susceptibility to taking on these deep beliefs as a child is throughout history exploited by people who wish to maintain control over the population.

    I'm explaining it badly, but I think Dawkins put it that religion is an evolutionary side effect that does more harm than good

  6. #36

    Re: 307 mass shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Nail on the head. Religion was invented for people who are afraid of death and can't understand the concept of death being the final part of the cycle of life.
    Exactly my thoughts. Coming to terms with mortality is difficult, especially having been taught by clever adults that there is a heaven and a hell. But, it's an essential thing to come to terms with - and the end result has been liberating to me as an individual. I feel I actually appreciate life more now than when I believed there were places for the dead to go,

  7. #37
    International TH63's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Thornhill
    Posts
    13,572

    Re: 307 mass shooting

    1. Nothing wrong with being Christian/Catholic/Jewish/Muslim/whatever
    2. It is how you live your life and treat others that is more important though
    3. The President swears an oath to defend the constitution. Part of that constitution is the right to bear weapons of mass destruction ergo any president that tries to amend the amendment is breaking a solemn oath = political suicide.
    4. When I looked at my news app earlier, I was amazed to see how far down the list this story had fallen. If the shooter had been Muslim, or black. This would be front page news.
    5. Yes, the shooter probably WAS mentally ill, unlike the completely sane terrorists who think they're going to end up with 72 virgins.
    6. As someone alluded to earlier. To get elected president, you gotta love Guns, God, the military and the good old US of A.

  8. #38

    Re: 307 mass shooting

    If you look on Twitter their arguments for gun control are crazy, including there's gun control in France but the Butaclan still happened, that's one! Not one every day.

    Others include; how will I protect my family and how will we fight back if the government turns to a dictatorship.

    Also for a country that goes on about freedom they are the biggest slaves in the western world, the amount they work with hardly any holidays is crazy.

    I love the country and the people I've met there are always great but their attitude towards politics and religion is mental. Their left wing makes the tories look like bleeding heart liberals.

  9. #39

    Re: 307 mass shooting

    Seems the shooter had been in a row with his mother-in-law and had three guns...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41892838

  10. #40

    Re: 307 mass shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    1. Nothing wrong with being Christian/Catholic/Jewish/Muslim/whatever
    2. It is how you live your life and treat others that is more important though
    I disagree with statement 1, as unfortunately many treat membership as permission to behave in ways which run counter to freedom in society. This affects statement 2 i.e. what is right and what is wrong. In extremis you get suicide bombers, martyrs and fanatics of all faiths.

    Religion does not have a monopoly over this 'club' membership attitude e.g. the good old NRA lobby refusing to see the downside to everyone being allowed to be armed.

  11. #41

    Re: 307 mass shooting

    I sometimes wonder if some of the above posters who pontificate about “religion” have ever met a Christian? Unless I am unique (which I know I’m not, as I know a lot of Christians),

    I…

    Am not afraid of death (the manner of my dying is a different matter!)

    Am not holier than thou/superior, in fact the opposite, because as much as I try, I know I can never be truly Christ-like because I am a human being

    Have no desire to harm anyone of a different faith

    Have no desire to subjugate the masses

    Have no desire to indoctrinate anyone – I witness to being a Christian by the way I try to live my life but whether others wish to emulate that, that’s up to them

    Am not “some sanctimonious arsehole judging others for their beliefs or non beliefs”. That’s not to say I don’t feel sad when I look around and see what a mess some people make of their lives and the way the world in general is going; but this is to be expected of course as society has mostly rejected Christ and his teaching.

    Will go to heaven simply because I believe in Jesus Christ, not because of any good works I may have done (I do good works because I believe that is what Jesus expects me to do, not for reward) and because I own up to being a sinner (yes, that word, how very non-PC!).

  12. #42

    Re: 307 mass shooting

    The gunman who slaughtered 26 people at a Texas church was able to buy weapons because the Air Force failed to report his domestic violence conviction to the federal database that is used to conduct background checks on would-be gun purchasers, authorities said Monday.

    Federal officials said the Air Force didn’t submit Devin Patrick Kelley’s criminal history even though it was required to do so by Pentagon rules.

    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ckground-check

  13. #43

    Re: 307 mass shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    In America so far this year. That's 309 days. A mass shooting is 4 or more victims. not including the shooter. Another church in Texas been targeted, 30 plus killed.

    Such a ****ed up country!

    we do seem to hear about these incidents pretty frequently now don't we blue
    do you think its a case of more of this shitt happening or
    is it getting reported about more now ?
    cos it does seem to be happening a lot at an alarming rate mate

  14. #44

    Re: 307 mass shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I sometimes wonder if some of the above posters who pontificate about “religion” have ever met a Christian? Unless I am unique (which I know I’m not, as I know a lot of Christians),

    I…

    Am not afraid of death (the manner of my dying is a different matter!)

    Am not holier than thou/superior, in fact the opposite, because as much as I try, I know I can never be truly Christ-like because I am a human being

    Have no desire to harm anyone of a different faith

    Have no desire to subjugate the masses

    Have no desire to indoctrinate anyone – I witness to being a Christian by the way I try to live my life but whether others wish to emulate that, that’s up to them

    Am not “some sanctimonious arsehole judging others for their beliefs or non beliefs”. That’s not to say I don’t feel sad when I look around and see what a mess some people make of their lives and the way the world in general is going; but this is to be expected of course as society has mostly rejected Christ and his teaching.

    Will go to heaven simply because I believe in Jesus Christ, not because of any good works I may have done (I do good works because I believe that is what Jesus expects me to do, not for reward) and because I own up to being a sinner (yes, that word, how very non-PC!).


    Don't you worry about being non pc Blue remember thought crime is not a crime

  15. #45
    International TH63's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Thornhill
    Posts
    13,572

    Re: 307 mass shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I sometimes wonder if some of the above posters who pontificate about “religion” have ever met a Christian? Unless I am unique (which I know I’m not, as I know a lot of Christians),

    I…

    Am not afraid of death (the manner of my dying is a different matter!)

    Am not holier than thou/superior, in fact the opposite, because as much as I try, I know I can never be truly Christ-like because I am a human being

    Have no desire to harm anyone of a different faith

    Have no desire to subjugate the masses

    Have no desire to indoctrinate anyone – I witness to being a Christian by the way I try to live my life but whether others wish to emulate that, that’s up to them

    Am not “some sanctimonious arsehole judging others for their beliefs or non beliefs”. That’s not to say I don’t feel sad when I look around and see what a mess some people make of their lives and the way the world in general is going; but this is to be expected of course as society has mostly rejected Christ and his teaching.

    Will go to heaven simply because I believe in Jesus Christ, not because of any good works I may have done (I do good works because I believe that is what Jesus expects me to do, not for reward) and because I own up to being a sinner (yes, that word, how very non-PC!).
    Agree with all of the above.

    For me, my grandfather was the man I felt most lived up to “Christian values” in terms of the way he conducted himself and treated others. But he had no religion at all.

    I know I’m biased, but if all believers of whatever faith, led their lives like him, the world would be a much better place.

    For me, we have to many people following “man-made” religious laws and not enough following Christ’s teaching of live to one another.

    And here endeth today’s sermon.

  16. #46

    Re: 307 mass shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I sometimes wonder if some of the above posters who pontificate about “religion” have ever met a Christian? Unless I am unique (which I know I’m not, as I know a lot of Christians),

    I…

    Am not afraid of death (the manner of my dying is a different matter!)

    Am not holier than thou/superior, in fact the opposite, because as much as I try, I know I can never be truly Christ-like because I am a human being

    Have no desire to harm anyone of a different faith

    Have no desire to subjugate the masses

    Have no desire to indoctrinate anyone – I witness to being a Christian by the way I try to live my life but whether others wish to emulate that, that’s up to them

    Am not “some sanctimonious arsehole judging others for their beliefs or non beliefs”. That’s not to say I don’t feel sad when I look around and see what a mess some people make of their lives and the way the world in general is going; but this is to be expected of course as society has mostly rejected Christ and his teaching.

    Will go to heaven simply because I believe in Jesus Christ, not because of any good works I may have done (I do good works because I believe that is what Jesus expects me to do, not for reward) and because I own up to being a sinner (yes, that word, how very non-PC!).
    Hi gofer

    Are you saying you will go to heaven because you believe in Jesus Christ and people who don't believe in Jesus Christ won't go ?

    I thought god was a forgiving type ?

    If he is why won't he let people in who are not Christians ? , If this is what you are saying ?

    Regards

  17. #47

    Re: 307 mass shooting

    "Christian values" is a term used by christians who have hijacked the term "human values" in order to put themselves above the rest of us.

    Why are "Christian values" any better than the values of Judaism (The root of Christianity and Islam) or Hinduism, Seikhism, Buddism?

    Religions are forced upon the children of adherents in order that the religion will survive. Is there any religion in the world that doesn’t force children to follow?

  18. #48

    Re: 307 mass shooting

    Joe Walsh, a former congressman, controversial shockjock and idiot tweets:


    "I have a right to speak my mind, practice my religion, freely assemble, and carry a firearm. These rights come from God, not government."


    I don't know whether he really believes that but it seems there is a large number of Americans who do. If I lived in the States, that kind of outlook would worry me a lot.

  19. #49
    International TH63's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Thornhill
    Posts
    13,572

    Re: 307 mass shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Joe Walsh, a former congressman, controversial shockjock and idiot tweets:


    "I have a right to speak my mind, practice my religion, freely assemble, and carry a firearm. These rights come from God, not government."


    I don't know whether he really believes that but it seems there is a large number of Americans who do. If I lived in the States, that kind of outlook would worry me a lot.
    http://news.sky.com/story/woman-lose...inger-11117180

  20. #50

    Re: 307 mass shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Agree with all of the above.

    For me, my grandfather was the man I felt most lived up to “Christian values” in terms of the way he conducted himself and treated others. But he had no religion at all.

    I know I’m biased, but if all believers of whatever faith, led their lives like him, the world would be a much better place.

    For me, we have to many people following “man-made” religious laws and not enough following Christ’s teaching of live to one another.

    And here endeth today’s sermon.
    How do we know Christ's teaching was one of love ?

    The Bible ?

    That was written many years after his death , if he even existed !

    There is no evidence whatsoever that there is a god , none

    Nobody has gone to heaven and come back to tell us how great it is ......you would have thought that God , who is supposed to be all powerful would have made someone do that to make sure we all loved each other , protected the planet and animals and stopped children starving all over the world ?

    I am with Richard Dawkins on this , it might be a good book but it's fiction

  21. #51

    Re: 307 mass shooting

    Good on her

  22. #52

    Re: 307 mass shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Joe Walsh, a former congressman, controversial shockjock and idiot tweets:


    "I have a right to speak my mind, practice my religion, freely assemble, and carry a firearm. These rights come from God, not government."


    I don't know whether he really believes that but it seems there is a large number of Americans who do. If I lived in the States, that kind of outlook would worry me a lot.
    Did you see that interview with the local sherrif ?

    Guns don't kill people , people do

    Fecking hell

    Those Texas police and some of the people they interviewed looked like they came straight from the set of the Texas chainsaw massacre or the hills have eyes

    In god we trust ff sake

    Well he didn't help out those people murdered by the gun yesterday did he !!

  23. #53
    International TH63's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Thornhill
    Posts
    13,572

    Re: 307 mass shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Good on her
    Indeed. Fire her for expressing her first amendment right, but God help anyone who tries to restrict her second amendment right.

  24. #54

    Re: 307 mass shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Joe Walsh, a former congressman, controversial shockjock and idiot tweets:


    "I have a right to speak my mind, practice my religion, freely assemble, and carry a firearm. These rights come from God, not government."


    I don't know whether he really believes that but it seems there is a large number of Americans who do. If I lived in the States, that kind of outlook would worry me a lot.
    Great guitarist though

  25. #55

    Re: 307 mass shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Great guitarist though
    Which band is God in?

  26. #56

    Re: 307 mass shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    How do we know Christ's teaching was one of love ?

    The Bible ?

    That was written many years after his death , if he even existed !

    There is no evidence whatsoever that there is a god , none

    Nobody has gone to heaven and come back to tell us how great it is ......you would have thought that God , who is supposed to be all powerful would have made someone do that to make sure we all loved each other , protected the planet and animals and stopped children starving all over the world ?

    I am with Richard Dawkins on this , it might be a good book but it's fiction
    There have been thousands of gods worshipped throughout history and in all different locations around the world - and we all know which one most people believe in i.e. the one they were indoctrinated with as a child. Religions generally travel along the same routes as languages and Empires. That's why you are likely to be a Catholic if you speak Spanish etc. And what most current-day Abrahamists would have believed in just over two thousand years ago is anyone's guess. Depends on what bed they were born in methinks.

  27. #57

    Re: 307 mass shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by I.8.POLITICAL.CORRECTNESS View Post
    Don't you worry about being non pc Blue remember thought crime is not a crime
    What's he said that's not PC? Why do people who talk about non PC never have any idea what it actually is?

  28. #58

    Re: 307 mass shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    What's he said that's not PC? Why do people who talk about non PC never have any idea what it actually is?
    i was agreeing with what he was suggesting in his post
    and was just commenting on his comment about being non-pc
    because what he posted was not offensive it did not seek to marginalize any sets of groups it was rational
    it wasn't tippy tappy around the subject trying hard not to upset somebody, because of what "group" they see themselves as part of
    in actual fact he was very pc with his post lol

    I think I know what political correctness is

  29. #59

    Re: 307 mass shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    There have been thousands of gods worshipped throughout history and in all different locations around the world - and we all know which one most people believe in i.e. the one they were indoctrinated with as a child. Religions generally travel along the same routes as languages and Empires. That's why you are likely to be a Catholic if you speak Spanish etc. And what most current-day Abrahamists would have believed in just over two thousand years ago is anyone's guess. Depends on what bed they were born in methinks.
    We've been gong down the wrong path for millennia, and Zeus is gonna be pretty pissed off when he comes back.

  30. #60

    Re: 307 mass shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Hi gofer

    Are you saying you will go to heaven because you believe in Jesus Christ and people who don't believe in Jesus Christ won't go ?

    I thought god was a forgiving type ?

    If he is why won't he let people in who are not Christians ? , If this is what you are saying ?

    Regards
    Good evening sir.

    Q.1: Yes.

    Q.2: Heaven is a place for believers/followers of Jesus. Jesus made an extraordinary, almost arrogant claim – no one comes to the Father except by me. Why would non-Christians want or even expect to go there? Surely to them it's a fictional place and Christians are deluding themselves.

    God is forgiving but to obtain forgiveness surely first you have to acknowledge that there is something that needs to be forgiven and then ask for forgiveness! That tends to fly in the face of relativism which today's society is based upon - what feels right to me must be right etc. Hence my suggestion that the word “sinner” is a very non-PC expression today – if I called you a sinner I suspect you might be a little upset? The fact that someone professes to be a Christian is an acknowledgment that he/she is a sinner and therefore no different to anyone else in that sense, as we ALL fall short of being the person that Jesus wants us to be. The big difference is that the Christian knows that he/she falls short but has the humility to recognise this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •