+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 307 mass shooting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: 307 mass shooting

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    You might not have said it but I think a lot of religious people think they have a moral superiority over those of us who are not , I think deep down it's a social get together , a fashion parade etc every Sunday for people who deep down are afraid of death

There may well be an afterlife , who knows but you don't have to be religious to be moral , kind and a good person
    Nail on the head. Religion was invented for people who are afraid of death and can't understand the concept of death being the final part of the cycle of life.

Re: 307 mass shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Nail on the head. Religion was invented for people who are afraid of death and can't understand the concept of death being the final part of the cycle of life.
    I prefer Richard Dawkins explanation.
    For very good survival reasons, we as a species have evolved to (mostly) follow what our elders do, believe what they believe, and accept things as correct if they have always been done that way, even if you can't understand the reasons why, especially when we are children.
    This evolved susceptibility to taking on these deep beliefs as a child is throughout history exploited by people who wish to maintain control over the population.

I'm explaining it badly, but I think Dawkins put it that religion is an evolutionary side effect that does more harm than good