+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 307 mass shooting

Re: 307 mass shooting

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    You don't have to be religious to be a good person , plenty of people do good things without the need to tell people they are a Christian or whatever , religious people do not have a monopoly on morality and acts of kindness
    that is not what i said though is it.

i asked " would they would still do it if they were not part of religion " , of course we would never know, but the amount of charity work done in the name of religion is a fair amount that i see, from the project i am involved with in Zimbabwe to the " christmas shoebox " charity that we filled for the school last week, would these happen without religion ( though i must say the Zimbabwe gig is now completely independent of any religion )

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    that is not what i said though is it.

i asked " would they would still do it if they were not part of religion " , of course we would never know, but the amount of charity work done in the name of religion is a fair amount that i see, from the project i am involved with in Zimbabwe to the " christmas shoebox " charity that we filled for the school last week, would these happen without religion ( though i must say the Zimbabwe gig is now completely independent of any religion )
    You might not have said it but I think a lot of religious people think they have a moral superiority over those of us who are not , I think deep down it's a social get together , a fashion parade etc every Sunday for people who deep down are afraid of death

There may well be an afterlife , who knows but you don't have to be religious to be moral , kind and a good person

Have a look at Drury's Gun Shop of San Antonio (google). It explains the culture and what no politician would go against.
    As for him bring deranged, wasn't the NYC attacker deranged? Are you classed as deranged if youre white?

He was ex- Air Force. The country has a fixation with 'Our Vets'. I always thought that a bit dumb.

We'll be here in 6 months, 12 months etc talking of the same thing.

I’m Catholic but that’s my own reasons and I certainly hope I’m not some sanctimonious arsehole judging others for beliefs or non beliefs.

Trump has done exactly what his audience wants him to say.
    The offender (as he’s white) had mental health issues
    Thoughts and prayers
    No time to discuss gun control
    If another bloke didn’t have a gun it would have been worse so thank God we have guns.

Textbook Trump. What a ****ing arsehole.

What Trump and his his government and NRA mates don’t seem to realise is that it’s bad enough having normal people owning their own gun arsenal but to blame the latest shooting on the gunman’s mental state is ridiculous how can they let people like him have guns. He was kicked out of the USAF for assaulting his wife and child so he’s had previous FFS

USA: Where retrospective prayers are preferred to gun control. Says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    from another side of the argument, what harm are they doing ? ? ?

Plenty of really decent people are religious, they do great jobs with charities ( home and abroad ) that are organised through the name of religion, would they would still do it if they were not part of religion ? ? who knows ? ? ? that must be a massive plus

It is easy to knock any churchy-joe, but plenty give more than they take out of society, if they take comfort in the knowledge that the big man upstairs will look after them when they die / or they are reincarnated ( delete as applicable ) who are we to judge them
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-children.html

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    You might not have said it but I think a lot of religious people think they have a moral superiority over those of us who are not , I think deep down it's a social get together , a fashion parade etc every Sunday for people who deep down are afraid of death

There may well be an afterlife , who knows but you don't have to be religious to be moral , kind and a good person
    Nail on the head. Religion was invented for people who are afraid of death and can't understand the concept of death being the final part of the cycle of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Nail on the head. Religion was invented for people who are afraid of death and can't understand the concept of death being the final part of the cycle of life.
    I prefer Richard Dawkins explanation.
    For very good survival reasons, we as a species have evolved to (mostly) follow what our elders do, believe what they believe, and accept things as correct if they have always been done that way, even if you can't understand the reasons why, especially when we are children.
    This evolved susceptibility to taking on these deep beliefs as a child is throughout history exploited by people who wish to maintain control over the population.

I'm explaining it badly, but I think Dawkins put it that religion is an evolutionary side effect that does more harm than good

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Exactly my thoughts. Coming to terms with mortality is difficult, especially having been taught by clever adults that there is a heaven and a hell. But, it's an essential thing to come to terms with - and the end result has been liberating to me as an individual. I feel I actually appreciate life more now than when I believed there were places for the dead to go,

1. Nothing wrong with being Christian/Catholic/Jewish/Muslim/whatever
    2. It is how you live your life and treat others that is more important though
    3. The President swears an oath to defend the constitution. Part of that constitution is the right to bear weapons of mass destruction ergo any president that tries to amend the amendment is breaking a solemn oath = political suicide.
    4. When I looked at my news app earlier, I was amazed to see how far down the list this story had fallen. If the shooter had been Muslim, or black. This would be front page news.
    5. Yes, the shooter probably WAS mentally ill, unlike the completely sane terrorists who think they're going to end up with 72 virgins.
    6. As someone alluded to earlier. To get elected president, you gotta love Guns, God, the military and the good old US of A.

If you look on Twitter their arguments for gun control are crazy, including there's gun control in France but the Butaclan still happened, that's one! Not one every day.

Others include; how will I protect my family and how will we fight back if the government turns to a dictatorship.

Also for a country that goes on about freedom they are the biggest slaves in the western world, the amount they work with hardly any holidays is crazy.

I love the country and the people I've met there are always great but their attitude towards politics and religion is mental. Their left wing makes the tories look like bleeding heart liberals.

Seems the shooter had been in a row with his mother-in-law and had three guns...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41892838

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    1. Nothing wrong with being Christian/Catholic/Jewish/Muslim/whatever
    2. It is how you live your life and treat others that is more important though
    I disagree with statement 1, as unfortunately many treat membership as permission to behave in ways which run counter to freedom in society. This affects statement 2 i.e. what is right and what is wrong. In extremis you get suicide bombers, martyrs and fanatics of all faiths.

Religion does not have a monopoly over this 'club' membership attitude e.g. the good old NRA lobby refusing to see the downside to everyone being allowed to be armed.

I sometimes wonder if some of the above posters who pontificate about “religion” have ever met a Christian? Unless I am unique (which I know I’m not, as I know a lot of Christians),

I…

Am not afraid of death (the manner of my dying is a different matter!)

Am not holier than thou/superior, in fact the opposite, because as much as I try, I know I can never be truly Christ-like because I am a human being

Have no desire to harm anyone of a different faith

Have no desire to subjugate the masses

Have no desire to indoctrinate anyone – I witness to being a Christian by the way I try to live my life but whether others wish to emulate that, that’s up to them

Am not “some sanctimonious arsehole judging others for their beliefs or non beliefs”. That’s not to say I don’t feel sad when I look around and see what a mess some people make of their lives and the way the world in general is going; but this is to be expected of course as society has mostly rejected Christ and his teaching.

Will go to heaven simply because I believe in Jesus Christ, not because of any good works I may have done (I do good works because I believe that is what Jesus expects me to do, not for reward) and because I own up to being a sinner (yes, that word, how very non-PC!).

The gunman who slaughtered 26 people at a Texas church was able to buy weapons because the Air Force failed to report his domestic violence conviction to the federal database that is used to conduct background checks on would-be gun purchasers, authorities said Monday.

Federal officials said the Air Force didn’t submit Devin Patrick Kelley’s criminal history even though it was required to do so by Pentagon rules.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ckground-check

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    In America so far this year. That's 309 days. A mass shooting is 4 or more victims. not including the shooter. Another church in Texas been targeted, 30 plus killed.

Such a ****ed up country!

we do seem to hear about these incidents pretty frequently now don't we blue
    do you think its a case of more of this shitt happening or
    is it getting reported about more now ?
    cos it does seem to be happening a lot at an alarming rate mate

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I sometimes wonder if some of the above posters who pontificate about “religion” have ever met a Christian? Unless I am unique (which I know I’m not, as I know a lot of Christians),

I…

Am not holier than thou/superior, in fact the opposite, because as much as I try, I know I can never be truly Christ-like because I am a human being

Have no desire to indoctrinate anyone – I witness to being a Christian by the way I try to live my life but whether others wish to emulate that, that’s up to them

Am not “some sanctimonious arsehole judging others for their beliefs or non beliefs”. That’s not to say I don’t feel sad when I look around and see what a mess some people make of their lives and the way the world in general is going; but this is to be expected of course as society has mostly rejected Christ and his teaching.

Will go to heaven simply because I believe in Jesus Christ, not because of any good works I may have done (I do good works because I believe that is what Jesus expects me to do, not for reward) and because I own up to being a sinner (yes, that word, how very non-PC!).

Don't you worry about being non pc Blue remember thought crime is not a crime

I…

Agree with all of the above.

For me, my grandfather was the man I felt most lived up to “Christian values” in terms of the way he conducted himself and treated others. But he had no religion at all.

I know I’m biased, but if all believers of whatever faith, led their lives like him, the world would be a much better place.

For me, we have to many people following “man-made” religious laws and not enough following Christ’s teaching of live to one another.

And here endeth today’s sermon.

I…

Hi gofer

Are you saying you will go to heaven because you believe in Jesus Christ and people who don't believe in Jesus Christ won't go ?

I thought god was a forgiving type ?

If he is why won't he let people in who are not Christians ? , If this is what you are saying ?

Regards

"Christian values" is a term used by christians who have hijacked the term "human values" in order to put themselves above the rest of us.

Why are "Christian values" any better than the values of Judaism (The root of Christianity and Islam) or Hinduism, Seikhism, Buddism?

Religions are forced upon the children of adherents in order that the religion will survive. Is there any religion in the world that doesn’t force children to follow?

Joe Walsh, a former congressman, controversial shockjock and idiot tweets:

"I have a right to speak my mind, practice my religion, freely assemble, and carry a firearm. These rights come from God, not government."

I don't know whether he really believes that but it seems there is a large number of Americans who do. If I lived in the States, that kind of outlook would worry me a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Joe Walsh, a former congressman, controversial shockjock and idiot tweets:

"I have a right to speak my mind, practice my religion, freely assemble, and carry a firearm. These rights come from God, not government."

I don't know whether he really believes that but it seems there is a large number of Americans who do. If I lived in the States, that kind of outlook would worry me a lot.
    http://news.sky.com/story/woman-lose...inger-11117180

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Agree with all of the above.

For me, my grandfather was the man I felt most lived up to “Christian values” in terms of the way he conducted himself and treated others. But he had no religion at all.

I know I’m biased, but if all believers of whatever faith, led their lives like him, the world would be a much better place.

For me, we have to many people following “man-made” religious laws and not enough following Christ’s teaching of live to one another.

And here endeth today’s sermon.
    How do we know Christ's teaching was one of love ?

The Bible ?

That was written many years after his death , if he even existed !

There is no evidence whatsoever that there is a god , none

Nobody has gone to heaven and come back to tell us how great it is ......you would have thought that God , who is supposed to be all powerful would have made someone do that to make sure we all loved each other , protected the planet and animals and stopped children starving all over the world ?

I am with Richard Dawkins on this , it might be a good book but it's fiction

Good on her