+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 307 mass shooting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: 307 mass shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I sometimes wonder if some of the above posters who pontificate about “religion” have ever met a Christian? Unless I am unique (which I know I’m not, as I know a lot of Christians),

I…

Am not afraid of death (the manner of my dying is a different matter!)

Am not holier than thou/superior, in fact the opposite, because as much as I try, I know I can never be truly Christ-like because I am a human being

Have no desire to harm anyone of a different faith

Have no desire to subjugate the masses

Have no desire to indoctrinate anyone – I witness to being a Christian by the way I try to live my life but whether others wish to emulate that, that’s up to them

Am not “some sanctimonious arsehole judging others for their beliefs or non beliefs”. That’s not to say I don’t feel sad when I look around and see what a mess some people make of their lives and the way the world in general is going; but this is to be expected of course as society has mostly rejected Christ and his teaching.

Will go to heaven simply because I believe in Jesus Christ, not because of any good works I may have done (I do good works because I believe that is what Jesus expects me to do, not for reward) and because I own up to being a sinner (yes, that word, how very non-PC!).
    Hi gofer

Are you saying you will go to heaven because you believe in Jesus Christ and people who don't believe in Jesus Christ won't go ?

I thought god was a forgiving type ?

If he is why won't he let people in who are not Christians ? , If this is what you are saying ?

Regards

"Christian values" is a term used by christians who have hijacked the term "human values" in order to put themselves above the rest of us.

Why are "Christian values" any better than the values of Judaism (The root of Christianity and Islam) or Hinduism, Seikhism, Buddism?

Religions are forced upon the children of adherents in order that the religion will survive. Is there any religion in the world that doesn’t force children to follow?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    "Christian values" is a term used by christians who have hijacked the term "human values" in order to put themselves above the rest of us.

Why are "Christian values" any better than the values of Judaism (The root of Christianity and Islam) or Hinduism, Seikhism, Buddism?

Religions are forced upon the children of adherents in order that the religion will survive. Is there any religion in the world that doesn’t force children to follow?

Yes, Christianity, if you consider Christianity to be a religion (which I don't), i.e. not a relationship with a person, just a follower of an ideology or philosophy. My two sons grew up in a Christian home and were free to choose their own path. They had ample opportunity to turn away (away at university, leaving home to get married etc.) but they have not. We never coerced them - what teenagers would accept that! There is an expression "to love people into the kingdom" - do you seriously think that anyone today could be bullied into becoming a Christian?

[/COLOR]

Yes, Christianity, if you consider Christianity to be a religion (which I don't), i.e. not a relationship with a person, just a follower of an ideology or philosophy. My two sons grew up in a Christian home and were free to choose their own path. They had ample opportunity to turn away (away at university, leaving home to get married etc.) but they have not. We never coerced them - what teenagers would accept that! There is an expression "to love people into the kingdom" - do you seriously think that anyone today could be bullied into becoming a Christian?
    So they had to wait until they were teenagers and went to Uni or left home to get married before they could make their own decision? (Meaning they were about 18 years old, and therefore adults, not children)
    In the meantime, up until those opportunities came about, were they taught your religion by you and other followers?
    If one of your children at the age of 10 had said “I no longer want to follow your religion, I don’t believe any of it”, would you have allowed them that privilege? (Don’t forget, telling lies is a sin)

So they had to wait until they were teenagers and went to Uni or left home to get married before they could make their own decision? (Meaning they were about 18 years old, and therefore adults, not children)
    I say again, what modern teenagers would blindly follow what their parents say/do? I was brought up in a Christian home myself but at secondary school I rejected Christianity totally (aged about 14 probably). This was because I was very interested in science and thought, as many people do, that science had all the answers and had debunked Christianity as a myth/nice story. I became a Christian in my early 40’s because I took the trouble to stand back and take a serious look at it.

In the meantime, up until those opportunities came about, were they taught your religion by you and other followers?
    They had lots of school friends from secular homes but still came to church with us and learnt about Jesus, yes. Where else would they learn it? They didn’t have to do that as undoubtedly they were ridiculed by some for it.

If one of your children at the age of 10 had said “I no longer want to follow your religion, I don’t believe any of it”, would you have allowed them that privilege? (Don’t forget, telling lies is a sin)
    Of course I would. After all I did exactly that! Not sure if at 10 a child is mature enough to make such a decision though?

Of course I would. After all I did exactly that! Not sure if at 10 a child is mature enough to make such a decision though?
    Mature enough to reject or blindly follow their parents beliefs? As you said to a different point - it works both ways.

My parents were Congregationalists (Roath Park Congregationalist Church originally) - what became the United Reformed Church. I was brought up to go to church, Sunday School and the local scouts. However, when I was 12 I went to a series of church membership evening meetings with half a dozen others my age with the minister at The Manse. These went through the whole gammut of beliefs and practices in the church and the normal outcome was that a few weeks later the group would be accepted into the church at a brief ceremony during the service. After 6 weeks - aged 12 - I decided I was an atheist and never went to church again (until this summer for my dad's funeral). I also left the scouts at that time because of all the god and queen nonsense at the start of each meeting. And just to complete my transformation from a god-following dib-dib-dibber I bought and read The Communist Manifesto.

My brother went through the same thing a little later and turned into a Buddhist.

My Mam and Dad carried on in the church - she as a conformist; he as a self-labelling 'heretic' along with a few of his non-conformist mates. I doubt he ever believed in god or the devil or heaven or hell. The called himself (and others like him) a secular Christian.

Maybe you are right that 10 is too young to form a view on these big issues, but 12 isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Mature enough to reject or blindly follow their parents beliefs? As you said to a different point - it works both ways.

My parents were Congregationalists (Roath Park Congregationalist Church originally) - what became the United Reformed Church. I was brought up to go to church, Sunday School and the local scouts. However, when I was 12 I went to a series of church membership evening meetings with half a dozen others my age with the minister at The Manse. These went through the whole gammut of beliefs and practices in the church and the normal outcome was that a few weeks later the group would be accepted into the church at a brief ceremony during the service. After 6 weeks - aged 12 - I decided I was an atheist and never went to church again (until this summer for my dad's funeral). I also left the scouts at that time because of all the god and queen nonsense at the start of each meeting. And just to complete my transformation from a god-following dib-dib-dibber I bought and read The Communist Manifesto.

My brother went through the same thing a little later and turned into a Buddhist.

My Mam and Dad carried on in the church - she as a conformist; he as a self-labelling 'heretic' along with a few of his non-conformist mates. I doubt he ever believed in god or the devil or heaven or hell. The called himself (and others like him) a secular Christian.

Maybe you are right that 10 is too young to form a view on these big issues, but 12 isn't.
    a book you may enjoy on the subject Jon by the late Christopher Hitchens
    god is not great : how religion poisons everything

[/COLOR]

You didn’t answer my first question.

You didn’t answer my first question.
    Sorry, what first question?

[/COLOR]

It is pretty obvious that a religious upbringing affects the belief systems of children in quite a fundamental manner. If people were allowed to be religion-free until adulthood the results would be different as to how they perceive the world and the eventual religious or non-religious path that they would follow. Creating a belief system in a child is a very strong influence and a considerable traction, something that has been recognised by purveyors of religious and political dogmas throughout time.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathl...b_5664805.html

"In our first study, we found that children’s judgments about characters in biblical narratives were strongly affected by their upbringing. Children who had had some form of religious education - via church, parochial school or both — generally judged the central character to be a real person. Children who did not have religious education — who did not go to church and went to a secular school — largely judged the central character to be fictional.

In a follow-up study, we obtained a similar pattern for what we might call quasi-biblical stories — stories that included miraculous events but not ones that children would read about in the Bible. For example, we told children a story about the parting of the mountains. Religious children were more likely than non-religious children to think that the main character was real."

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    It is pretty obvious that a religious upbringing affects the belief systems of children in quite a fundamental manner. If people were allowed to be religion-free until adulthood the results would be different as to how they perceive the world and the eventual religious or non-religious path that they would follow. Creating a belief system in a child is a very strong influence and a considerable traction, something that has been recognised by purveyors of religious and political dogmas throughout time.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathl...b_5664805.html

"In our first study, we found that children’s judgments about characters in biblical narratives were strongly affected by their upbringing. Children who had had some form of religious education - via church, parochial school or both — generally judged the central character to be a real person. Children who did not have religious education — who did not go to church and went to a secular school — largely judged the central character to be fictional.

In a follow-up study, we obtained a similar pattern for what we might call quasi-biblical stories — stories that included miraculous events but not ones that children would read about in the Bible. For example, we told children a story about the parting of the mountains. Religious children were more likely than non-religious children to think that the main character was real."
    I'm quite sure this is correct, in fact thinking about it, it is stating the bleeding obvious as they say. However surely it works both ways? If children are told that Christianity is a load of bull, should we be surprised that they reject it?

Joe Walsh, a former congressman, controversial shockjock and idiot tweets:

"I have a right to speak my mind, practice my religion, freely assemble, and carry a firearm. These rights come from God, not government."

I don't know whether he really believes that but it seems there is a large number of Americans who do. If I lived in the States, that kind of outlook would worry me a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post

"I have a right to speak my mind, practice my religion, freely assemble, and carry a firearm. These rights come from God, not government."

I don't know whether he really believes that but it seems there is a large number of Americans who do. If I lived in the States, that kind of outlook would worry me a lot.
    http://news.sky.com/story/woman-lose...inger-11117180

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post

Great guitarist though

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Great guitarist though
    Which band is God in?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Hi gofer

Are you saying you will go to heaven because you believe in Jesus Christ and people who don't believe in Jesus Christ won't go ?

I thought god was a forgiving type ?

If he is why won't he let people in who are not Christians ? , If this is what you are saying ?

Regards
    Good evening sir.

Q.1: Yes.

Q.2: Heaven is a place for believers/followers of Jesus. Jesus made an extraordinary, almost arrogant claim – no one comes to the Father except by me. Why would non-Christians want or even expect to go there? Surely to them it's a fictional place and Christians are deluding themselves.

God is forgiving but to obtain forgiveness surely first you have to acknowledge that there is something that needs to be forgiven and then ask for forgiveness! That tends to fly in the face of relativism which today's society is based upon - what feels right to me must be right etc. Hence my suggestion that the word “sinner” is a very non-PC expression today – if I called you a sinner I suspect you might be a little upset? The fact that someone professes to be a Christian is an acknowledgment that he/she is a sinner and therefore no different to anyone else in that sense, as we ALL fall short of being the person that Jesus wants us to be. The big difference is that the Christian knows that he/she falls short but has the humility to recognise this.