+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Japan to use US equipment to shoot down N.Korea missiles

Japan to use US equipment to shoot down N.Korea missiles

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-41882272

Sounds a good idea in principle; except that I went on to read that Trump says USA will SELL such equipment to Japan - how generous of him. Get another country to spend billions of dollars boosting your exports in order to defend your country - nice one Trump.

Re: Japan to use US equipment to shoot down N.Korea missiles

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Would you expect us to protect Japan from a possible missile attack using your tax money ? , or would you expect Japan to purchase the defence capability from the UK ?
    It’s not about Japan defending itself as I read it. The USA is North Korea’s prime target and Japan will effectively be protecting the former at its own expense and at the same time boosting the profits of the American defence industry. As I said, well done Mr. “nice-guy” Trump. (The same Mr. Trump who tried to bully Scottish crofter Michael Forbes off his land to build a golfing resort and promised thousands of jobs to go with it).

He's a successful business man at heart

Depends which way you read it - either the USA are protecting an Allie in Japan that in all fairness does need protecting as it seems to have no defence capability of it's own re these missiles. OR you can see it as you explained it - Japan is a defacto American base within easy strike distance of North Korea. BUT the US dont need that - if they wanted to attack or shoot down missiles - they have subs, planes and ships in the area capable of doing that plus they have a base in Ochinawa (bad spelling) south of Japan.

I agree with you re Trump and that golf course - I watched the program - on one hand he is creating jobs for the locals etc - on the other hand is a bully re the people who did not want it there. Not sure which I prefer if Im honest - a job and income or a principled stance against a bully
    This is what I don't quite understand about the Americans' position. Do they truly have the capability of knocking out North Korean missiles after they have been launched though? If so, it's no big deal if Trump aggravates the North Koreans further because surely he can call their bluff with impunity?

Would you expect us to protect Japan from a possible missile attack using your tax money ? , or would you expect Japan to purchase the defence capability from the UK ?
    Yes please!! That would be great!! ;)

But in all seriousness, to the OP, why would Trump give defence equipment to an allied nation for free? He's not a charity, it's business. The Yanks loaned us money to help fight in WW1, they didn't give us that to that out of the kindness of their hearts...

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    This is what I don't quite understand about the Americans' position. Do they truly have the capability of knocking out North Korean missiles after they have been launched though? If so, it's no big deal if Trump aggravates the North Koreans further because surely he can call their bluff with impunity?
    Is it 100% reliable defence? If not, that's a mighty big game of bluff to play.

Trouble is, its never been tested and when it was it was a controlled attack , the favoured option for the generals is a surprise ground and missile attack to nullify their capability to launch .

Strangely the North Korea chap is is very quiet at he moment , with the Trump within reach of him personally.

If i was Trump i'd man up now and ask him outright to meet him on a remote independent island surrounded by each others forces or overseen by Chinese mediators .

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-korean-threat

Hard to avoid being cynical .. : rolleyes:

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    He's a successful business man at heart
    No he's an absolute Cyunt at someplace in his body because he's heartless.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    No he's an absolute Cyunt at someplace in his body because he's heartless.
    That's one of gods children and someone son you have just insulted,isn't this the season of goodwill ,love thy neighbour and tolerance .