+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Best ever Newport-born XI

Best ever Newport-born XI

Hi all, here is my next article, looking at the best ever Newport-born XI, plenty of Bluebird legends included

https://y-ddraig.co.uk/2017/11/05/be...ewport-born-xi

Let me know what you think

Re: Best ever Newport-born XI

Quote Originally Posted by neil316 View Post
    Hi all, here is my next article, looking at the best ever Newport-born XI, plenty of Bluebird legends included

Wasn't Nathan blake born in Newport ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Cardiff Sludge

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Good lad !!

Didn’t realise some of them were Newp’t boys.

Alway Newport lad

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Alway Newport lad

I thought he was brought up in ringland?

I thought he was brought up in ringland?
    Are people brought up in ringland? I always thought of it like some kind of Spartan wilderness

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Are people brought up in ringland? I always thought of it like some kind of Spartan wilderness
    One of my running mates was doing the Newport half marathon back in the late 80’s and as he was running through Ringland somebody shot him in the back of his thigh with a .22 air gun, there were others shot at too

Being picky, but Wiki says that Roger Freestone was born at Caerleon, but Len Weare was Newport born and played over 500 times for County, his only club.

Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post
    Being picky, but Wiki says that Roger Freestone was born at Caerleon, but Len Weare was Newport born and played over 500 times for County, his only club.
    showing my rubbish geography but i thought it was a part of newport or newport county at least

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    One of my running mates was doing the Newport half marathon back in the late 80’s and as he was running through Ringland somebody shot him in the back of his thigh with a .22 air gun, there were others shot at too
    Should've run quicker then.

Maybe it was a sleeper Mossad cell practising to get Splott Dai.

showing my rubbish geography but i thought it was a part of newport or newport county at least
    You're probably right, but Len Weare was an absolute fixture at Newport in the days when we used to go along, usually when City were away. He never managed a cap for Wales, but I am certain that he was in the squad a few times as cover for Gary Sprake and Tony Millington.

You're probably right, but Len Weare was an absolute fixture at Newport in the days when we used to go along, usually when City were away. He never managed a cap for Wales, but I am certain that he was in the squad a few times as cover for Gary Sprake and Tony Millington.
    cant dispute that. i wasnt sure which to go with and didnt have enough to do a substitutes bench

cant dispute that. i wasnt sure which to go with and didnt have enough to do a substitutes bench
    That actually doesn't say much for Newport as a hotbed of footballing talent.

Has anyone ever done a best ever Cardiff born 11? Would be a pretty impressive team I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc90 View Post
    Has anyone ever done a best ever Cardiff born 11? Would be a pretty impressive team I reckon.
    Yup, here.
    http://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.php...ardiff-born-XI

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    I've done a best ever Swansea-born XI as well but dont know how well it would go down on here!

I've done a best ever Swansea-born XI as well but dont know how well it would go down on here!
    Maybe not, but I reckon that there would be an interesting correlation between the number of players from each town and the respective populations. Even though Swansea is more populous, I would expect it to have produced far more top players than Newport. Both are hotbeds of rugby, Swansea more so perhaps, so why should that be?

i think Swansea had a golden period in the 50’s where loads of players came through

i think Swansea had a golden period in the 50’s where loads of players came through
    They did, the Allchurch brothers, Terry Medwin and John & Mel Charles just for starters.

Good article that

They did, the Allchurch brothers, Terry Medwin and John & Mel Charles just for starters.
    yeah and cliff jones as well. Cardiff steadily produced players by the decade. slowed down last few years but that was due to a poor academy system in place

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Good article that
    cheers mate. glad you liked it