+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

The guitar wizard was Alex Hutchings. Check out an example of his class at

He's on a par with Guthrie Govan and is the lead guitarist in the Thriller stage show.

I went there expecting two hours of BOSS/ROLAND promotion - and even took a card. But what we got was some great soloing over his own pre-recorded tracks and demonstrations of what can be produced using a range of stomp boxes - together with an explanation of what he was doing - ie no sales pitch. His use of a Looper and Expression pedal were particularly impressive. He plays in the style of Joe Satriani. Alex took questions from the floor (about 50 guys there) and added some personal experiences. He even played guitars he had personally designed. I came away refreshed and would recommend the experience to other guitarists. Did I say it was free?

Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

He's a great technical guitarist, but he's no Mick Jones is he

PS still waiting for a cheap MS-3 to show up, in the meantime the FX8 is the dogs doo-dahs

What I like about Mick Jones is he only plays what is necessary for the song, he doesn't do superfluous.

@2:08secs is the greatest rock 'n' roll guitar move ever

I hope I haven't hijacked your thread

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    He's a great technical guitarist, but he's no Mick Jones is he
    I went there with some preconceived ideas about him based on his YouTube vids, but came away won over by his personality ('cept he was yet another guitarist who affects headgear; in his case, a cap. But with my flowing locks, it's not an issue, of course). There was one mildly funny exchange when someone asked him who had been his influences. After some names were thrown around like George Benson, the person mentioned another American guitarist. Alex said that he had bought a box set of DVDs by the guy ('coa he was a supporting-other-artists sorta bloke) but had only watched about half of them. The audience guy then said, 'But he says you were his student'. 'Does he indeed' was the response.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

He's on a par with Guthrie Govan and is the lead guitarist in the Thriller stage show.

I went there expecting two hours of BOSS/ROLAND promotion - and even took a card. But what we got was some great soloing over his own pre-recorded tracks and demonstrations of what can be produced using a range of stomp boxes - together with an explanation of what he was doing - ie no sales pitch. His use of a Looper and Expression pedal were particularly impressive. He plays in the style of Joe Satriani. Alex took questions from the floor (about 50 guys there) and added some personal experiences. He even played guitars he had personally designed. I came away refreshed and would recommend the experience to other guitarists. Did I say it was free?
    One of the bands that my lad is in, toured with The Aristocrats (Guthrie Govan) last year, I saw them on the tour, Guthrie is a top top axeman.

Talented chap, and I absolutely get why other guitar players might enjoy it. I just cant find 'clever twiddling' entertaining, no matter how clever and how twiddly. ;)

I hope I haven't hijacked your thread
    Not at all. I understand that you play your guitar very, very lento.....

Blog Entries

He's pretty good, not that I know much, I must find that bloody tuner.

I still think PMT is not a good name for a shop

Never was going to be able to play guitar to anything like I would want to, so gave up completely early on. Thought that perhaps I would try again once I retired, but between arthritis in the fingers and lots of other (easier) things to do, it hasn't happened yet.

Interesting video, reminds me a bit of Steve Howe's style from Yes days back the 1970's.

Every generation has its guitar heroes, here's one of the best from mine, Albert Lee and still going....... the other guy in the video is pretty useful too

Quote Originally Posted by Vimto View Post
    Talented chap, and I absolutely get why other guitar players might enjoy it. I just cant find 'clever twiddling' entertaining, no matter how clever and how twiddly. ;)
    So, you're a fan of Mick Jones too? Or Mick Ronson, Steve Jones, etc?

Mind you, I think Robert Fripp is a good twiddler

So, you're a fan of Mick Jones too? Or Mick Ronson, Steve Jones, etc?

Mind you, I think Robert Fripp is a good twiddler
    Big fan of Mick Ronson, Jones & Strummer, yep for sure, loads of players TBH - Wilko Johnson to .. Dave Gilmour.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimto View Post
    Big fan of Mick Ronson, Jones & Strummer, yep for sure, loads of players TBH - Wilko Johnson to .. Dave Gilmour.
    Gilmore was a borderline twiddler at times, but in a very musical way and what he did added to the music. Pink Floyd are one of my favourite album bands.

Gilmore was a borderline twiddler at times, but in a very musical way and what he did added to the music. Pink Floyd are one of my favourite album bands.
    I tend to like guitarists with distinctive sounds, (Gilmour falls into this) as opposed to the speed freaks, they can take the piss all they want, but the edge falls into the distinctive sound category, Steve Hackett, Mark Knopfler, Tony Iommi, the axe in the lads band is very distinctive, Lydian dominant 7th

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    I tend to like guitarists with distinctive sounds, (Gilmour falls into this) as opposed to the speed freaks, they can take the piss all they want, but the edge falls into the distinctive sound category, Steve Hackett, Mark Knopfler, Tony Iommi, the axe in the lads band is very distinctive, Lydian dominant 7th
    You could add the Cure and Joy Division too, who have continued to influence multiple generations of alternative bands.

I think the Edge is really good at what he does. If it was so easy, everybody would have been doing it before he came along!

Sorry but I have to disagree, style of Satriani , maybe, but a shadow of the man himself.

Managed about a minute of the video.

Impressive? Yes.

Moving? Not in the slightest.

To me, that bird playing for the love of god in last weeks thread was about a million times more engaging

Sorry to disagree, but I guess if we all liked the same things......

Quote Originally Posted by Veg1960 View Post
    Sorry but I have to disagree, style of Satriani , maybe, but a shadow of the man himself.

Managed about a minute of the video.

Impressive? Yes.

Moving? Not in the slightest.

To me, that bird playing for the love of god in last weeks thread was about a million times more engaging

Sorry to disagree, but I guess if we all liked the same things......
    TBF he was demoing a Boss Multi-FX pedal, not playing a whole song

TBF he was demoing a Boss Multi-FX pedal, not playing a whole song
    Fair enough I suppose.

Yet here's (in my opinion) a proper old school guitarist talking about guitars, that I find a lot more engaging

Not a backing track or multi fx pedal in sight

Could be that I'm just getting old.....

Mentioned in the thread earlier, this bloke talks so much sense

Fair enough I suppose.

Yet here's (in my opinion) a proper old school guitarist talking about guitars, that I find a lot more engaging

Could be that I'm just getting old.....
    Tasty playing! I normally run my Les Paul straight into a cranked Marshall type amp, and the Telecaster into a Fender/Vox type amp, either clean or on the edge of breakup.

FX is for used for variation, or when you are trying to get a specific sound. The FX pedals are usually run into a clean amp.

For something like this you definitely need FX pedals ..

Fair enough I suppose.
    But was he performing in PMT last night?
    I think not.

And btw, do you really think Gary Moore didn't use stomp boxes?

Tasty playing! I normally run my Les Paul straight into a cranked Marshall type amp, and the Telecaster into a Fender/Vox type amp, either clean or on the edge of breakup.

FX is for used for variation, or when you are trying to get a specific sound. The FX pedals are usually run into a clean amp.

Sounds like a lovely setup you have there Mr Bales

But was he performing in PMT last night?
    I think not.

And btw, do you really think Gary Moore didn't use stomp boxes?

Absolutely correct Mr Cyclops. an evening down the guitar shop has got to be a good thing. Don't get me wrong, he's an excellent player - I couldn't imagine getting anywhere near that good!

It's just that for some reason that I can't explain, that style of playing leaves me slightly cold.

Big fan of Gary Moore so was aware he used a pedal board - The variation he was getting in the video seemed to be coming from feel and use of the vol and tone controls though

So many great guitarists

Like nelson61 alluded to it's not always about the speed but the feel

Alex lifeson from rush is superb , Jeff beck , Jimmy page , satriani, Rory Gallagher, Johnny winter , Robert Cray , Steve Hackett in his early genesis days

But I am a man of metal and for me the king of the riff will always be Tony iommi from Sabbath

But that doesn't stop me appreciating Robert Tripp, Richard Thompson , Jeff Buckley who was a great guitarist who died too young

Let's be honest , the Beatles came up with some great guitar sounds , the little gentle licks of in my life are simple and sound superb which for me is what it's all about

A quick mention of queen's of the stone age , and his former band KYUSS

Josh homme got his fuzzy stoner rock sound by plugging his Les Paul into a bass amp !

When he was in KYUSS , he plugged his Les Paul straight into a bass amp for that dirty sound