+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 47

Thread: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

  1. #1

    Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    The guitar wizard was Alex Hutchings. Check out an example of his class at



    He's on a par with Guthrie Govan and is the lead guitarist in the Thriller stage show.

    I went there expecting two hours of BOSS/ROLAND promotion - and even took a card. But what we got was some great soloing over his own pre-recorded tracks and demonstrations of what can be produced using a range of stomp boxes - together with an explanation of what he was doing - ie no sales pitch. His use of a Looper and Expression pedal were particularly impressive. He plays in the style of Joe Satriani. Alex took questions from the floor (about 50 guys there) and added some personal experiences. He even played guitars he had personally designed. I came away refreshed and would recommend the experience to other guitarists. Did I say it was free?

  2. #2

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    He's a great technical guitarist, but he's no Mick Jones is he

    PS still waiting for a cheap MS-3 to show up, in the meantime the FX8 is the dogs doo-dahs

  3. #3

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    What I like about Mick Jones is he only plays what is necessary for the song, he doesn't do superfluous.

    @2:08secs is the greatest rock 'n' roll guitar move ever


  4. #4

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    I hope I haven't hijacked your thread

  5. #5

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    He's a great technical guitarist, but he's no Mick Jones is he
    I went there with some preconceived ideas about him based on his YouTube vids, but came away won over by his personality ('cept he was yet another guitarist who affects headgear; in his case, a cap. But with my flowing locks, it's not an issue, of course). There was one mildly funny exchange when someone asked him who had been his influences. After some names were thrown around like George Benson, the person mentioned another American guitarist. Alex said that he had bought a box set of DVDs by the guy ('coa he was a supporting-other-artists sorta bloke) but had only watched about half of them. The audience guy then said, 'But he says you were his student'. 'Does he indeed' was the response.

  6. #6

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    The guitar wizard was Alex Hutchings. Check out an example of his class at



    He's on a par with Guthrie Govan and is the lead guitarist in the Thriller stage show.

    I went there expecting two hours of BOSS/ROLAND promotion - and even took a card. But what we got was some great soloing over his own pre-recorded tracks and demonstrations of what can be produced using a range of stomp boxes - together with an explanation of what he was doing - ie no sales pitch. His use of a Looper and Expression pedal were particularly impressive. He plays in the style of Joe Satriani. Alex took questions from the floor (about 50 guys there) and added some personal experiences. He even played guitars he had personally designed. I came away refreshed and would recommend the experience to other guitarists. Did I say it was free?
    One of the bands that my lad is in, toured with The Aristocrats (Guthrie Govan) last year, I saw them on the tour, Guthrie is a top top axeman.

  7. #7

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    Talented chap, and I absolutely get why other guitar players might enjoy it. I just cant find 'clever twiddling' entertaining, no matter how clever and how twiddly. ;)

  8. #8

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I hope I haven't hijacked your thread
    Not at all. I understand that you play your guitar very, very lento.....

  9. #9
    International Mrs Steve R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Barry
    Posts
    28,301
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    The guitar wizard was Alex Hutchings. Check out an example of his class at



    He's on a par with Guthrie Govan and is the lead guitarist in the Thriller stage show.

    I went there expecting two hours of BOSS/ROLAND promotion - and even took a card. But what we got was some great soloing over his own pre-recorded tracks and demonstrations of what can be produced using a range of stomp boxes - together with an explanation of what he was doing - ie no sales pitch. His use of a Looper and Expression pedal were particularly impressive. He plays in the style of Joe Satriani. Alex took questions from the floor (about 50 guys there) and added some personal experiences. He even played guitars he had personally designed. I came away refreshed and would recommend the experience to other guitarists. Did I say it was free?
    He's pretty good, not that I know much, I must find that bloody tuner.

    I still think PMT is not a good name for a shop

  10. #10

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    Never was going to be able to play guitar to anything like I would want to, so gave up completely early on. Thought that perhaps I would try again once I retired, but between arthritis in the fingers and lots of other (easier) things to do, it hasn't happened yet.

    Interesting video, reminds me a bit of Steve Howe's style from Yes days back the 1970's.

    Every generation has its guitar heroes, here's one of the best from mine, Albert Lee and still going....... the other guy in the video is pretty useful too


  11. #11

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    Quote Originally Posted by Vimto View Post
    Talented chap, and I absolutely get why other guitar players might enjoy it. I just cant find 'clever twiddling' entertaining, no matter how clever and how twiddly. ;)
    So, you're a fan of Mick Jones too? Or Mick Ronson, Steve Jones, etc?

    Mind you, I think Robert Fripp is a good twiddler

  12. #12

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    So, you're a fan of Mick Jones too? Or Mick Ronson, Steve Jones, etc?

    Mind you, I think Robert Fripp is a good twiddler
    Big fan of Mick Ronson, Jones & Strummer, yep for sure, loads of players TBH - Wilko Johnson to .. Dave Gilmour.

  13. #13

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    Quote Originally Posted by Vimto View Post
    Big fan of Mick Ronson, Jones & Strummer, yep for sure, loads of players TBH - Wilko Johnson to .. Dave Gilmour.
    Gilmore was a borderline twiddler at times, but in a very musical way and what he did added to the music. Pink Floyd are one of my favourite album bands.

  14. #14

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Gilmore was a borderline twiddler at times, but in a very musical way and what he did added to the music. Pink Floyd are one of my favourite album bands.
    I tend to like guitarists with distinctive sounds, (Gilmour falls into this) as opposed to the speed freaks, they can take the piss all they want, but the edge falls into the distinctive sound category, Steve Hackett, Mark Knopfler, Tony Iommi, the axe in the lads band is very distinctive, Lydian dominant 7th

  15. #15

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    I tend to like guitarists with distinctive sounds, (Gilmour falls into this) as opposed to the speed freaks, they can take the piss all they want, but the edge falls into the distinctive sound category, Steve Hackett, Mark Knopfler, Tony Iommi, the axe in the lads band is very distinctive, Lydian dominant 7th
    You could add the Cure and Joy Division too, who have continued to influence multiple generations of alternative bands.

    I think the Edge is really good at what he does. If it was so easy, everybody would have been doing it before he came along!

  16. #16

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    The guitar wizard was Alex Hutchings. Check out an example of his class at



    He's on a par with Guthrie Govan and is the lead guitarist in the Thriller stage show.

    I went there expecting two hours of BOSS/ROLAND promotion - and even took a card. But what we got was some great soloing over his own pre-recorded tracks and demonstrations of what can be produced using a range of stomp boxes - together with an explanation of what he was doing - ie no sales pitch. His use of a Looper and Expression pedal were particularly impressive. He plays in the style of Joe Satriani. Alex took questions from the floor (about 50 guys there) and added some personal experiences. He even played guitars he had personally designed. I came away refreshed and would recommend the experience to other guitarists. Did I say it was free?
    Sorry but I have to disagree, style of Satriani , maybe, but a shadow of the man himself.

    Managed about a minute of the video.

    Impressive? Yes.

    Moving? Not in the slightest.

    To me, that bird playing for the love of god in last weeks thread was about a million times more engaging

    Sorry to disagree, but I guess if we all liked the same things......

  17. #17

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    Quote Originally Posted by Veg1960 View Post
    Sorry but I have to disagree, style of Satriani , maybe, but a shadow of the man himself.

    Managed about a minute of the video.

    Impressive? Yes.

    Moving? Not in the slightest.

    To me, that bird playing for the love of god in last weeks thread was about a million times more engaging

    Sorry to disagree, but I guess if we all liked the same things......
    TBF he was demoing a Boss Multi-FX pedal, not playing a whole song

  18. #18

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    TBF he was demoing a Boss Multi-FX pedal, not playing a whole song
    Fair enough I suppose.

    Yet here's (in my opinion) a proper old school guitarist talking about guitars, that I find a lot more engaging



    Not a backing track or multi fx pedal in sight

    Could be that I'm just getting old.....

  19. #19

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    Mentioned in the thread earlier, this bloke talks so much sense


  20. #20

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    Quote Originally Posted by Veg1960 View Post
    Fair enough I suppose.

    Yet here's (in my opinion) a proper old school guitarist talking about guitars, that I find a lot more engaging



    Not a backing track or multi fx pedal in sight

    Could be that I'm just getting old.....
    Tasty playing! I normally run my Les Paul straight into a cranked Marshall type amp, and the Telecaster into a Fender/Vox type amp, either clean or on the edge of breakup.

    FX is for used for variation, or when you are trying to get a specific sound. The FX pedals are usually run into a clean amp.

    For something like this you definitely need FX pedals ..


  21. #21

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    Quote Originally Posted by Veg1960 View Post
    Fair enough I suppose.
    Yet here's (in my opinion) a proper old school guitarist talking about guitars, that I find a lot more engaging
    Not a backing track or multi fx pedal in sight
    But was he performing in PMT last night?
    I think not.

    And btw, do you really think Gary Moore didn't use stomp boxes?




  22. #22

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Tasty playing! I normally run my Les Paul straight into a cranked Marshall type amp, and the Telecaster into a Fender/Vox type amp, either clean or on the edge of breakup.

    FX is for used for variation, or when you are trying to get a specific sound. The FX pedals are usually run into a clean amp.

    For something like this you definitely need FX pedals ..

    Sounds like a lovely setup you have there Mr Bales

  23. #23

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    But was he performing in PMT last night?
    I think not.

    And btw, do you really think Gary Moore didn't use stomp boxes?



    Absolutely correct Mr Cyclops. an evening down the guitar shop has got to be a good thing. Don't get me wrong, he's an excellent player - I couldn't imagine getting anywhere near that good!

    It's just that for some reason that I can't explain, that style of playing leaves me slightly cold.

    Big fan of Gary Moore so was aware he used a pedal board - The variation he was getting in the video seemed to be coming from feel and use of the vol and tone controls though

  24. #24

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    So many great guitarists

    Like nelson61 alluded to it's not always about the speed but the feel

    Alex lifeson from rush is superb , Jeff beck , Jimmy page , satriani, Rory Gallagher, Johnny winter , Robert Cray , Steve Hackett in his early genesis days

    But I am a man of metal and for me the king of the riff will always be Tony iommi from Sabbath

    But that doesn't stop me appreciating Robert Tripp, Richard Thompson , Jeff Buckley who was a great guitarist who died too young

    Let's be honest , the Beatles came up with some great guitar sounds , the little gentle licks of in my life are simple and sound superb which for me is what it's all about

    A quick mention of queen's of the stone age , and his former band KYUSS

    Josh homme got his fuzzy stoner rock sound by plugging his Les Paul into a bass amp !

  25. #25

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Tasty playing! I normally run my Les Paul straight into a cranked Marshall type amp, and the Telecaster into a Fender/Vox type amp, either clean or on the edge of breakup.

    FX is for used for variation, or when you are trying to get a specific sound. The FX pedals are usually run into a clean amp.

    For something like this you definitely need FX pedals ..

    When he was in KYUSS , he plugged his Les Paul straight into a bass amp for that dirty sound

  26. #26

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    Quote Originally Posted by Veg1960 View Post
    Mentioned in the thread earlier, this bloke talks so much sense



    Six blade knife from first dire straits album , beautiful sound

  27. #27

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Six blade knife from first dire straits album , beautiful sound
    I remember the first time I heard Sultans of Swing on the radio. Was like a breath of fresh air.

  28. #28
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    6,689

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    I still think PMT is not a good name for a shop
    On some days you can feel the tension when you walk through the door....

  29. #29

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    On some days you can feel the tension when you walk through the door....
    And think "was it something I said?"

  30. #30

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    He's a great technical guitarist, but he's no Mick Jones is he

    PS still waiting for a cheap MS-3 to show up, in the meantime the FX8 is the dogs doo-dahs
    With all the great guitarists you pick him? He's shit and the edge is even worse

  31. #31

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    Ah Gary Moore, my all time favourite.
    Yes he used effects but he had so much emotion & feel in his playing.
    Could play many style & make them his own, blues, rock, metal, shredding, flamenco etc & often played all those styles in one song.
    Shredding just for shreddings sake leaves me a little cold TBH.
    Players like for instance Buckethead, although obviously very talented, who just shreds continuously, don"t do a lot for me, although I appreciate shredding has it"s place.
    A local hero of mine, & very underrated IMO is wales own Tony Bourge, ex Budgie guitarist

  32. #32

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    Im in to metal so i would say Synester gates deserves a mention also John 5 very under rated guitarist but the main man has to be dime back incredible guitarist

  33. #33

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    With all the great guitarists you pick him? He's shit and the edge is even worse
    The edge has a good guitar sound though and that's what it's all about , at least it was when they were a good band and did stuff like bad , I will follow

  34. #34

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    Quote Originally Posted by headlight View Post
    Ah Gary Moore, my all time favourite.
    Yes he used effects but he had so much emotion & feel in his playing.
    Could play many style & make them his own, blues, rock, metal, shredding, flamenco etc & often played all those styles in one song.
    Shredding just for shreddings sake leaves me a little cold TBH.
    Players like for instance Buckethead, although obviously very talented, who just shreds continuously, don"t do a lot for me, although I appreciate shredding has it"s place.
    A local hero of mine, & very underrated IMO is wales own Tony Bourge, ex Budgie guitarist
    Yes Tony Bourge was a very good guitarist

  35. #35

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Im in to metal so i would say Synester gates deserves a mention also John 5 very under rated guitarist but the main man has to be dime back incredible guitarist
    PANTERA were a great band and dimebag Darrell a great guitarist

    Saw them in Newport and the riff to walk is simply superb

  36. #36

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Yes Tony Bourge was a very good guitarist
    He still is Sludge, this is from a 2013 solo album he released (the first in about 20 years I think) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7gpK2RkZBw
    Bit more mellow & laid back now than when he was in Budgie & Tredegar but he was 64 when he recorded the above (he"s 68 now).
    Still a class player though, very underrated IMO

  37. #37

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    PANTERA were a great band and dimebag Darrell a great guitarist

    Saw them in Newport and the riff to walk is simply superb
    The outro to floods is one of the best things I've heard

  38. #38

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    When he was in KYUSS , he plugged his Les Paul straight into a bass amp for that dirty sound
    Not sure about Kyuss, but for QOTSA the bass amp is part of it, but his main trick is using a Maestro Parametric Filter MPF-1 that was designed by Bob Moog back in the 1970's, which he has since been replaced by a Stone Deaf PDF-1 pedal (which is an enhanced copy of the MPF-1).


  39. #39

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    With all the great guitarists you pick him? He's shit and the edge is even worse
    My view of music is that the song comes first, so you play with that in mind. For me it's all about the interaction between the various instruments, and not necessarily the complexity of each part. Incidentally, I was on the side of those who were very happy to see the end of the 20-minute guitar solo!

    PS I also rate Bernard Sumner


  40. #40

    Re: Went to a Guitar Masterclass at PMT last night

    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Not sure about Kyuss, but for QOTSA the bass amp is part of it, but his main trick is using a Maestro Parametric Filter MPF-1 that was designed by Bob Moog back in the 1970's, which he has since been replaced by a Stone Deaf PDF-1 pedal (which is an enhanced copy of the MPF-1).

    He deffo plugged his Gibson into a bass amp when he was in KYUSS

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •