+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pretty cutting piece on Malky from the Guardian

Re: Pretty cutting piece on Malky from the Guardian

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    So which bits are wrong in it?
    Well,nothing new in there.Seems it was just written at this time to remind some scottish people of his crimes against humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    Well,nothing new in there.Seems it was just written at this time to remind some scottish people of his crimes against humanity.
    Maybe. Or maybe the journalists read his jibes against them as being made to blames the media for his downfall, thus not really accepting his own conduct was wrong?

I met malky once in a cafe , I had been away , can't remember where the night before and we had won in a tight game

He came in and sat on the table opposite me

You want to give these people space but at the same time we all love Cardiff city so I just said hi malky , great result last night it was a tight game but we deserved to win

He just said yes and put his head down and read the paper , very unfriendly bloke , much like Dave Jones

Most of the players I have met have been great , Peter thorns , leggy , Steve mcphail , mark Hudson ......he's a real gent and was gutted to leave , mark Bonner

For me its not just about disrespectful conversations and texts , its the overall arrogance ,,to think one could make those type of remarks too people, you are managing , and should lead .

It would be an instant dismissal or suspension offence if you applied such behaviors in work time or via you works phone to in most decent organisations ,other than football ,which lets be fair has a low starting point on acceptable behaviors .

His behaviors wasn't carried out in the 1970's, it was a recent event and the behavior rules around respect and diversity have moved on he woudl know that .

There is a hypocrisy all around if you ask me , if he had carried out the same actions in a political /business profile role we would want him hanged , if he had wasted money as he did , again we would want them held to account , in my view we are blinded-sided by the fact he took us up , and he stood up to Tan who people also disliked and that created a common cause and I think at an early point he felt untouchable .

The team and Tans investment took us up , yes under his leadership, he indeed gelled them together and delivered , however once up he disregarded a number of good players who took us up ,way too quickly and easily and was found wanting in the big league in preparation and development of a well funded squad . In the world of business or politics you usually fall or step down in you fail your " funded "objectives ,especially when they are in their millions and are of your choice .

All of which in my book smacks of arrogance, of a very well paid man and alleged leader

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    For me its not just about disrespectful conversations and texts , its the overall arrogance ,,to think one could make those type of remarks too people, you are managing , and should lead .

It would be an instant dismissal or suspension offence if you applied such behaviors in work time or via you works phone to in most decent organisations ,other than football ,which lets be fair has a low starting point on acceptable behaviors .

His behaviors wasn't carried out in the 1970's, it was a recent event and the behavior rules around respect and diversity have moved on he woudl know that .

There is a hypocrisy all around if you ask me , if he had carried out the same actions in a political /business profile role we would want him hanged , if he had wasted money as he did , again we would want them held to account , in my view we are blinded-sided by the fact he took us up , and he stood up to Tan who people also disliked and that created a common cause and I think at an early point he felt untouchable .

The team and Tans investment took us up , yes under his leadership, he indeed gelled them together and delivered , however once up he disregarded a number of good players who took us up ,way too quickly and easily and was found wanting in the big league in preparation and development of a well funded squad . In the world of business or politics you usually fall or step down in you fail your " funded "objectives ,especially when they are in their millions and are of your choice .

All of which in my book smacks of arrogance, of a very well paid man and alleged leader
    For me , his yes man attitude to the shirt change to red was what did it for me , he was asked how he would feel if his beloved big firm team were forced to change their shirt colour without any consultation and he just laughed it off

We started leaking goals. Bit of a problem that given Mackays tactics were to absorb pressure, hope Marshall came up with 5 great saves a game and that we can nick a goal on the counter attack despite lacking any pace whatsoever.
    Coming to within penalties of winning a first major cup in 85 years and then promoted as league winners. Not a bad tactic

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    Coming to within penalties of winning a first major cup in 85 years and then promoted as league winners. Not a bad tactic
    Yes, because of that that completely correlates with my post. Have a biscuit.

Yes, because of that that completely correlates with my post. Have a biscuit.
    Because your original post was a load of rubbish. We'd conceded 9 goals in 8 PL games before it all came out that he'd be leaving ahead of the Liverpool game. 5 of those goals were against Arsenal and United. Nightmare.

No one was complaining about Malky’s football during the 11-12 season when he got us to the Play-Offs and the League Cup Final.
    A few grumblings about the style of football during the promotion season but not much as we sat pretty at the top of the league comfortable for the second half of the campaign...without really being troubled.
    Certainly no one was moaning when we beat Man City and Swansea in the PL.
    In fact most, if not all on here were gutted to see him sacked. Remember the Liverpool game and the City fans remaining after the game?

All of a sudden he’s now a racist, his football was shite as well.

Because your original post was a load of rubbish. We'd conceded 9 goals in 8 PL games before it all came out that he'd be leaving ahead of the Liverpool game. 5 of those goals were against Arsenal and United. Nightmare.
    Mackay left 27th December 2013 - ahead of Sunderland game, not Liverpool.

Aston Villa 2–0 Cardiff City
    Cardiff City 2–2 Manchester United
    Cardiff City 0–3 Arsenal
    Stoke City 0–0 Cardiff City
    Crystal Palace 2–0 Cardiff City
    Cardiff City 1–0 West Bromwich Albion
    Liverpool 3–1 Cardiff City
    Cardiff City 0–3 Southampton

8 games. 5 points from 24.
    4 goals scored, 0.5 goals per game.
    15 goals coneceded, just under 2 conceded per game.

Conceding 3 in the first half against the bin dippers wasn't great, the Southampton result was even worse.

'Mare, indeed.

EDIT: The fundamental problem was we needed to nick tight games. As soon as we started conceding goals, it was killing our chances of getting the points needed to stay up because we had nothing going forward...

Mackay left 27th December 2013 - ahead of Sunderland game, not Liverpool.

Aston Villa 2–0 Cardiff City
    Cardiff City 2–2 Manchester United
    Cardiff City 0–3 Arsenal
    Stoke City 0–0 Cardiff City
    Crystal Palace 2–0 Cardiff City
    Cardiff City 1–0 West Bromwich Albion
    Liverpool 3–1 Cardiff City
    Cardiff City 0–3 Southampton

8 games. 5 points from 24.
    4 goals scored, 0.5 goals per game.
    15 goals coneceded, just under 2 conceded per game.

Conceding 3 in the first half against the bin dippers wasn't great, the Southampton result was even worse.

'Mare, indeed.
    Haha everyone knew he'd gone byLiverpool. 15 goals in 10 games (eight of which came against Liverpool, United and Arsenal) is barely leaking goals.

God help Warnock if we went up and he stayed. A 4-0 defeat at the etihad in August and people would be calling for his head

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    No one was complaining about Malky’s football during the 11-12 season when he got us to the Play-Offs and the League Cup Final.
    A few grumblings about the style of football during the promotion season but not much as we sat pretty at the top of the league comfortable for the second half of the campaign...without really being troubled.
    In fact most, if not all on here were gutted to see him sacked. Remember the Liverpool game and the City fans remaining after the game?

Ye spot on. No problem with people calling Mackay a **** etc. But rewriting the job he did is stupid. The football was far from dreadful. It was effective when it needed to be in the championship and a fair few performances where we ripped teams apart. Some of the performances under warnock have been ten times worse in terms of how dull it is. That's the championship though.

So you went from specifying 8 games to 10? Okay.

Those extra two games you brought in, we scored a single goal. 4 in 8 thus becomes 5 in 10.

Which gets back to my point - we had nothing going forward. We needed to keep games tight and hope to get a goal on the break.

People would be calling for Warnock's head? I very much doubt it.

So you went from specifying 8 games to 10? Okay.

Those extra two games you brought in, we scored a single goal. 4 in 8 thus becomes 5 in 10.

Which gets back to my point - we had nothing going forward. We needed to keep games tight and hope to get a goal on the break.

People would be calling for Warnock's head? I very much doubt it.
    Your original point was we started leaking goals. I said no to that and you start talking about scoring goals? Make your mind up. Did you want malky to go at the time??

Your original point was we started leaking goals. I said no to that and you start talking about scoring goals? Make your mind up. Did you want malky to go at the time??
    I'm saying the two are related. We conceded goals; as I said, the Southampton result was far worse than the Liverpool one.

The point was the squad was set up to try to keep things tight, nick a goal. That was failing as seen by the points return - 5 in 24 from the 8 games, 8 from 30 over the 10 game period. We simply couldn't afford to get into shootouts where we needed to score 2 or more to get points.

Did I want Mackay to go at that point? Honestly, yes. The lack of pace in the squad was an issue not addressed in the summer transfer window. Caulker, Medel were nice big money signings for us at the time but not what we needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Jones out!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post

I didn't give a feck when we beat man city and Swansea

You must have been reading a different website as loads of us were against the change to red which he just went along with

As for being a racist and a sexist well he admitted sending offensive texts himself

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

You must have been reading a different website as loads of us were against the change to red which he just went along with

As for being a racist and a sexist well he admitted sending offensive texts himself
    Holding the change to red against him

Holding the change to red against him
    More his double standards in that he wasn't happy when asked if he'd be happy if his beloved Celtic changed colour.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Seems pretty much spot on to me. The only thing not mentioned was the massive bungs he took on the Cornelius deal.
    best comment I've heard on him.given £25m budget and wastes a good chunk of it on a nobody

I'm saying the two are related. We conceded goals; as I said, the Southampton result was far worse than the Liverpool one.

The point was the squad was set up to try to keep things tight, nick a goal. That was failing as seen by the points return - 5 in 24 from the 8 games, 8 from 30 over the 10 game period. We simply couldn't afford to get into shootouts where we needed to score 2 or more to get points.

Did I want Mackay to go at that point? Honestly, yes. The lack of pace in the squad was an issue not addressed in the summer transfer window. Caulker, Medel were nice big money signings for us at the time but not what we needed.
    Let's be honest, everyone knew he was going at that point

I'm not defending his actions regarding the texts ect, but we were pretty solid before our dirty laundry started being washed in a very public and humiliating way, yes he didn't play an expansive brand of football but it was seen as the most efficient way of getting to 40 points and staying up

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Let's be honest, everyone knew he was going at that point

I'm not defending his actions regarding the texts ect, but we were pretty solid before our dirty laundry started being washed in a very public and humiliating way, yes he didn't play an expansive brand of football but it was seen as the most efficient way of getting to 40 points and staying up
    Well, you could well argue that the players certainly didn't show up for him.

I don't believe we'd have stayed up. We lacked goals, lacked pace - the squad simply wasn't setup for the way he wanted them to play. Hoilett, Zohore, NML - capable of breaking with pace, hold ball up. Then? Bellamy whose legs were gone, Campbell a hard worker, Mason/Smith?

The only chance we had staying up that season was to keep the opposition to at most one goal.

I'd also disagree that that style was the best way of staying up. Plenty of other teams coming up play more expansively - not gung ho balls to the wall stupidity - and stay up. For me, our squad just wasn't good enough - wasn't diverse enough to allow tactical flexibility, lacked pace. That is down to the recruitment in the summer window. Around £25m on Caulker, Medal and Cornelius imo could have been better utilised by being far cuter in the signings we made - more players for lower fees to fit the garing gaps we had.

Well, you could well argue that the players certainly didn't show up for him.

I don't believe we'd have stayed up. We lacked goals, lacked pace - the squad simply wasn't setup for the way he wanted them to play. Hoilett, Zohore, NML - capable of breaking with pace, hold ball up. Then? Bellamy whose legs were gone, Campbell a hard worker, Mason/Smith?

The only chance we had staying up that season was to keep the opposition to at most one goal.

I'd also disagree that that style was the best way of staying up. Plenty of other teams coming up play more expansively - not gung ho balls to the wall stupidity - and stay up. For me, our squad just wasn't good enough - wasn't diverse enough to allow tactical flexibility, lacked pace. That is down to the recruitment in the summer window. Around £25m on Caulker, Medal and Cornelius imo could have been better utilised by being far cuter in the signings we made - more players for lower fees to fit the garing gaps we had.
    It was well known that players would run through brick walls for Mackay, the atmosphere at the club was toxic, we were the laughing stock of British football who's owner was portrayed as a Bond villain, Mackay had been told to "Resign or be sacked" a bad result was inevitable

We had a better second half of the season which was squandered by attempting a more expansive style, before the shit it the fan we were getting solid, if unspectacular, results

I seem to remember Mackay being roundly praised after signing Caulker and Medel

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

I was against the red and was definitely reading the same message board.
    No one was moaning about Malky when we beat those 2, that was my point.