+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Christmas ad's are in full flow

The Christmas ad's are in full flow

Same complaints every year but what do people gain from lying so much?.

Re: The Christmas ad's are in full flow

Why is it an event to air a Christmas advert now?
    All the companies are after one thing and that’s to drain you of your money.

The best one they did was the WW frontline one, where they stopped and had a game of football and the guy put a bar of chocolate in the germans pocket

top stuff

I heard “Fairytale of New York” in a shop yesterday. On the 9th of f.cking November fffs. I walked straight out.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    The best one they did was the WW frontline one, where they stopped and had a game of football and the guy put a bar of chocolate in the germans pocket
    There's a particular scene in the book 'All Quiet on The Western Front / Im Westen nichts Neues' that is quite poignant.

www.sparknotes.com describes it thus:

Paul volunteers to crawl into No Man’s Land to gather information about the enemy’s strength. On his way back, he becomes lost. A bombardment begins, and he knows that an attack is coming. He realizes that he must lie still and pretend to be dead, so he crawls into a shell hole to wait until the attack is over. An enemy soldier jumps into the shell hole with him, and Paul quickly stabs him. It is too light outside for Paul to make his way back, so he is forced to wait in the shell hole with the body. As he waits, he notices that the French soldier is not dead. Paul bandages the soldier’s wounds and gives him water. The man takes several hours to die. It is the first time that Paul has killed someone in hand-to-hand combat, and the experience is pure agony.

Paul talks to the dead soldier, explaining that he did not want to kill him. Paul finds a picture of a woman and a little girl in the man’s pocketbook. He reads what he can of the letters tucked inside. Every word plunges Paul deeper into guilt and pain. The dead man’s name is Gérard Duval, and he was a printer by trade. Paul copies his address and resolves to send money to his family anonymously. As dark falls again, Paul’s survival instinct reawakens. He knows that he will not fulfill his promise to the French soldier. He crawls back to his trench. Hours later, he confesses the experience of killing the printer to his comrades. Kat and Kropp draw his attention to their snipers enjoying the job of picking off enemy soldiers. They point out that he took no pleasure from his killing and, unlike the snipers, he had no choice; it was kill or be killed.

top stuff
    Reminds me of Millwall away in 1976, fighting like feck in the morning, shook hands with a few of them and went in the ground together to watch the football, then back to trying to kill each other outside after the match.

It is a good advert but I can't get past the fact at heart it is just a ploy to convince the public to come to them.

Maybe I should lighten up a bit. Christmas is the best time of year though just some things grind

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    Reminds me of Millwall away in 1976, fighting like feck in the morning, shook hands with a few of them and went in the ground together to watch the football, then back to trying to kill each other outside after the match.
    You did not seriously just draw parallels with a bunch of thugs and millions of brave young men dying to defend their country?

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    You did not seriously just draw parallels with a bunch of thugs and millions of brave young men dying to defend their country?
    I'm on about the advert

top stuff
    Good advert that. Believe it or not is never actually seen that as I hardly watch tv...

As for the crying, people get happy about the occasion, excited to spend it with the kids, sad about lost ones, the emotion builds up and an advert probably tops it for them.

Either that or a come down. I've cried on a Sunday night in August watching the most random crap.

Clearly the ads are intended to get people in through the doors of their shops and to make them money.

But if it makes a few people happy along the way, then where's the harm?

Great news, I'm tired of hearing stories about sex abuse and mass shootings. Now I can rant about Christmas adverts for a few days until the next huge attrocity comes along!

Clearly the ads are intended to get people in through the doors of their shops and to make them money.

But if it makes a few people happy along the way, then where's the harm?
    People love to moan (just edited love as I'd put live but some people actually live to moan too...) I don't get peoples negative attitudes to thing a that don't cause them any sort of harm. If people are happy leave them be.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    People love to moan (just edited love as I'd put live but some people actually live to moan too...) I don't get peoples negative attitudes to thing a that don't cause them any sort of harm. If people are happy leave them be.
    I think they believe it makes them "cool" or "edgy" or whatever the current in-phrase is.

There's enough shite going on the world these days, but who's happier? The people gushing or the ads or the people moaning about them?

Like I said, of course it is commercial exploitation, but if it makes the world that little bit nicer for someone for a while, then I think that's a good thing.

I hope people lose Facebook friends over this.

I think they believe it makes them "cool" or "edgy" or whatever the current in-phrase is.

There's enough shite going on the world these days, but who's happier? The people gushing or the ads or the people moaning about them?

Like I said, of course it is commercial exploitation, but if it makes the world that little bit nicer for someone for a while, then I think that's a good thing.
    Bah humbug!

Just leave people to it.

I found people that moaned about people sending them game requests more annoying than the game requests I could just click on and ignore the same second. Wrong thread...yes adverts and Xmas...make a few people happy...good...all the moaners can just ignore them...but they don't because they love the attention they get from moaning.

Just leave people to it.

I found people that moaned about people sending them game requests more annoying than the game requests I could just click on and ignore the same second. Wrong thread...yes adverts and Xmas...make a few people happy...good...all the moaners can just ignore them...but they don't because they love the attention they get from moaning.
    Moaning about people who moan

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Moaning about people who moan
    Moaning about people who moan about people who moan etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Moaning about people who moan about people who moan etc....
    Are you having a go at me?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Are you having a go at me?
    You should be so lucky

Just leave people to it.

My point is they are faking happiness

Like any popular gimmick, people will stop with it soon

I think the John Lewis ad is great.

Simply have a look on Facebook to see if any of your friends are crying after watching it.

Then never speak to these sad acts ever again, thus improving the quality of your friendship group.

Thanks John Lewis.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    It is a good advert but I can't get past the fact at heart it is just a ploy to convince the public to come to them.
    I did fall it though, i got 2 bars of the chocolate they have in the advert ( they brought out bars in the same wrapping ) and put it in my girls stockings for christmas morning, both of them didnt want to open it, as it was to remind them on the fallen, both have them on shelves in the bedrooms still