+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Music festivals ? Any of you go nowadays ?

  1. #1

    Music festivals ? Any of you go nowadays ?

    I used to do Glastonbury .......last one was 1992 with the brilliant fishbone , the fall and Lou Reed stealing the show

    And used to do reading and the metal festivals

    The shared showers at Glastonbury were great for a bloke like me

    But I am too old for that now

    I prefer to see one band and a few support acts than trudge from stage to stage paying five quid for a veggie burger

    Off to see Mastodon , supported by the stoner rock god's red fang in December.......machine head in may , both in Cardiff ......can't be arsed travelling far for gigs these days although I would to see TOOL , an amazing band

  2. #2

    Re: Music festivals ? Any of you go nowadays ?

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I used to do Glastonbury .......last one was 1992 with the brilliant fishbone , the fall and Lou Reed stealing the show

    And used to do reading and the metal festivals

    The shared showers at Glastonbury were great for a bloke like me

    But I am too old for that now

    I prefer to see one band and a few support acts than trudge from stage to stage paying five quid for a veggie burger

    Off to see Mastodon , supported by the stoner rock god's red fang in December.......machine head in may , both in Cardiff ......can't be arsed travelling far for gigs these days although I would to see TOOL , an amazing band
    Stopped doing festivals when I had to pay to get in!

    Nah i haven't got a festival in me these days, even a quiet night out preceded by a cheeky couple of pre drinks does me in!

  3. #3

    Re: Music festivals ? Any of you go nowadays ?

    I wouldn't mind going to a one-dayer, if there was a nice quiet area to escape. But the older I get, I find the bands I don't like more of a distraction.

    I was never into big, three-day festivals. Especially the ones in the UK. In fact, I don't think I've ever stayed the full weekend anywhere.

    Edit: Except Primavera. There's no mud and the hotel is right across the street.

  4. #4

    Re: Music festivals ? Any of you go nowadays ?

    Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Stopped doing festivals when I had to pay to get in!


    Nah i haven't got a festival in me these days, even a quiet night out preceded by a cheeky couple of pre drinks does me in!
    Glastonbury is a piss take now , it's a corporate show for the home counties

  5. #5

    Re: Music festivals ? Any of you go nowadays ?

    I’m a bit of a folky now I may go to Cropredy

  6. #6

    Re: Music festivals ? Any of you go nowadays ?

    we used to always do " reading " for many years

    Did a little of boardmasters as we were next door to the site this summer

    always on the look out for smaller festivals BUT with bands we know as a headliner, you know, to have a sing-along at the end of the evening

  7. #7

    Re: Music festivals ? Any of you go nowadays ?

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I used to do Glastonbury .......last one was 1992 with the brilliant fishbone , the fall and Lou Reed stealing the show

    And used to do reading and the metal festivals

    The shared showers at Glastonbury were great for a bloke like me

    But I am too old for that now

    I prefer to see one band and a few support acts than trudge from stage to stage paying five quid for a veggie burger

    Off to see Mastodon , supported by the stoner rock god's red fang in December.......machine head in may , both in Cardiff ......can't be arsed travelling far for gigs these days although I would to see TOOL , an amazing band
    http://www.summersend.co.uk/wintersend.html

    http://www.planetrock.com/events/pla...ockstock-2017/

  8. #8

    Re: Music festivals ? Any of you go nowadays ?

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I wouldn't mind going to a one-dayer, if there was a nice quiet area to escape. But the older I get, I find the bands I don't like more of a distraction.

    I was never into big, three-day festivals. Especially the ones in the UK. In fact, I don't think I've ever stayed the full weekend anywhere.

    Edit: Except Primavera. There's no mud and the hotel is right across the street.
    Last one dated I did was Black Sabbath at the Milton Keynes bowl in 1998

    The original line up in superb form , they should have called it a day then as Ozzy struggled at times , but it was an amazing show


    Supported by TOOL and several other bands

    It was a superb day I will never forget

    Rage Against The Machine at Hyde park was electric but only one band

  9. #9

    Re: Music festivals ? Any of you go nowadays ?

    I hear that band godsticks are a handy little three piece

    Rock Goddess.....I used to wank over the lead guitarist , saw em with YnT at st David's hall years ago

  10. #10

    Re: Music festivals ? Any of you go nowadays ?

    Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    we used to always do " reading " for many years

    Did a little of boardmasters as we were next door to the site this summer

    always on the look out for smaller festivals BUT with bands we know as a headliner, you know, to have a sing-along at the end of the evening
    Got ya

  11. #11

    Re: Music festivals ? Any of you go nowadays ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    I’m a bit of a folky now I may go to Cropredy
    Is that the Fairport convention one in Oxfordshire ?

    Never been

  12. #12

    Re: Music festivals ? Any of you go nowadays ?

    Last one I went to was Led Zep at Nebworth, 1979

  13. #13

    Re: Music festivals ? Any of you go nowadays ?

    Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Last one I went to was Led Zep at Nebworth, 1979
    You lucky sod

    My sister went to that

  14. #14

    Re: Music festivals ? Any of you go nowadays ?

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Is that the Fairport convention one in Oxfordshire ?

    Never been
    Yeah that’s the one

  15. #15

    Re: Music festivals ? Any of you go nowadays ?

    Let's Rock Bristol each June. 80s Festival. Group of us go, have a great laugh .

    The Sunday became 90s last year- I guess it's a sign that the 80s bands are dying off slowly 🙁

  16. #16

    Re: Music festivals ? Any of you go nowadays ?

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    You lucky sod

    My sister went to that
    I didn't see her there.

  17. #17

    Re: Music festivals ? Any of you go nowadays ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Let's Rock Bristol each June. 80s Festival. Group of us go, have a great laugh .

    The Sunday became 90s last year- I guess it's a sign that the 80s bands are dying off slowly ��
    a group of our friends go to this, they have a minibus from our estate

    I dont go, as in the 80's I used to be the white boy into NWA, Ice T and PE

    katchagoogoo and Black Lace were never really on the record player

  18. #18

    Re: Music festivals ? Any of you go nowadays ?

    Headliners for next summers Download are Ozzy Osbourne, Guns n Roses and Avenged Sevenfold.

    I’ve done about 8 Download festivals, a few Reading (first one in 83 - then didn’t go again until about 2006.) Been Knebworth a few times as well. Seen loads of great bands.

    Three day festivals can be superb but they can be hard work as well. You need to be a young un to hammer it for three days but if you pace yourself you can have a great time especially if it’s not raining.

  19. #19

    Re: Music festivals ? Any of you go nowadays ?

    I can't stand gigs where the musicians you see on stage are so far away that you end up watching a video screen. That isn't a genuine experience for me.

  20. #20

    Re: Music festivals ? Any of you go nowadays ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Headliners for next summers Download are Ozzy Osbourne, Guns n Roses and Avenged Sevenfold.

    I’ve done about 8 Download festivals, a few Reading (first one in 83 - then didn’t go again until about 2006.) Been Knebworth a few times as well. Seen loads of great bands.

    Three day festivals can be superb but they can be hard work as well. You need to be a young un to hammer it for three days but if you pace yourself you can have a great time especially if it’s not raining.
    I hate guns and roses , dreadful aerosmith rip offs , good guitarist but the lead singer does my head in

    Ozzy needs to knock it on the head now , it's becoming embarrassing

    Not a fan of avenged sevenfold

    My mates go every year, it's their summer holiday , they hire a camper van which is the way to do it as camping is a nightmare if the weather is bad

    But as I said these days I prefer a one day event like steelhouse or single act gigs with just one support band

    Looking forward to Mastodon and machine head at the university

  21. #21

    Re: Music festivals ? Any of you go nowadays ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I can't stand gigs where the musicians you see on stage are so far away that you end up watching a video screen. That isn't a genuine experience for me.
    I know what you mean , I prefer 2000 capacity venues but a band like TOOL or Rush or Peter Gabriel who I saw a few years back have a big stage show with effects and they need a bigger venue

  22. #22

    Re: Music festivals ? Any of you go nowadays ?

    Sludge, have a look at the Steelhouse Festival in Ebbw Vale.

    https://www.steelhousefestival.com/

    Been going about six years now and getting the more established bands these days.

    Much cheaper, nearer and smaller than the bloated Download.

    £80 for the weekend. 5000 capacity.

    Obviously you’re not going to get the huge headliners that download get but they’ve still had a few ‘names’ there - UFO, Saxon, Nazareth, Thunder etc. A bit middle of the road in terms of rock/metal but the atmosphere is good, people are friendly and because it’s on a smaller scale, you’re not half a mile from the stage.


    Edit: just seen your post mentioning Steelhouse.

    As you were young man.

  23. #23

    Re: Music festivals ? Any of you go nowadays ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    Sludge, have a look at the Steelhouse Festival in Ebbw Vale.

    https://www.steelhousefestival.com/

    Been going about six years now and getting the more established bands these days.

    Much cheaper, nearer and smaller than the bloated Download.

    £80 for the weekend. 5000 capacity.

    Obviously you’re not going to get the huge headliners that download get but they’ve still had a few ‘names’ there - UFO, Saxon, Nazareth, Thunder etc. A bit middle of the road in terms of rock/metal but the atmosphere is good, people are friendly and because it’s on a smaller scale, you’re not half a mile from the stage.


    Edit: just seen your post mentioning Steelhouse.

    As you were young man.
    Keep up at the back !

  24. #24

    Re: Music festivals ? Any of you go nowadays ?

    Last one I did was Elephant Fair 1986. Really enjoyed the experience Did Glastonbury in 1984. It all looks to sterile nowadays.
    Spedger

  25. #25

    Re: Music festivals ? Any of you go nowadays ?

    Truckfest (Oxford) is OK. Only £90 for the weekend, and you can take your own booze and food in.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •