+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Results 1 to 39 of 39

Thread: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

  1. #1

    Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    From the horse's mouth, so get off it now!


  2. #2

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    Mission accomplished. I hope someone “likes” my post.

  3. #3

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Mission accomplished. I hope someone “likes” my post.
    If only we had "Likes" on here


  4. #4

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    Now a US Senator is having a pop ..

    "How did big tech come to control so many aspects of our lives?” Franken asked in a speech to a Washington think tank. A handful of companies decide what Americans “see, read, and buy,” dominating access to information and facilitating the spread of disinformation, he added."

    https://www.wired.com/story/al-frank...been-dreading/

  5. #5
    International Mrs Steve R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Barry
    Posts
    28,301
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    If only we had "Likes" on here

    Only just saw this, was on facebook.

  6. #6

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    I'm so glad I got off FB. I couldn't stand seeing the endless posts of shite that people think is important and just rambling on and on and on about crap and wasting their own and my time. So I decided to come here instead an-......ohh, hang on.....


  7. #7

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    I didn't write this by the way.....

    It's all one big competition, it's the Hunger Games of photographs and hyperbole and the modern day equivalent of gossiping over the garden fence and keeping up with the Joneses or Kardashiwotnots. Here are a few of the statuses responsible for the degeneration Facebook.
    "Click 'Like' if..."
    ...You've lost someone to cancer, you want to find a cure for cancer, you love your daughter, you love your kids, you enjoy breathing, you like clicking like etc. Stop clicking like and fill a bag with old clothes and take it to a charity shop, give money to cancer research, tell your kids you love them to their face. Save the tip of your index finger and do something that will actually make a real difference.
    "Time for a bubble bath and a large glass of champers methinks."
    The word 'methinks' only ever appears on Facebook and is only ever used orally in those bizarre baby brothels where perverted old men go to wear nappies and get their bums wiped by an overweight prostitute in massive 80s glasses. Statuses like this allude to a lavish lifestyle, a lifestyle created by gossip magazines and Sex and the City, this is not how real people live their lives. In fact the truth behind this status is probably "Time for a quick flannel wash and a glass of Lambrini" but that wouldn't impress your "friends" would it?
    "Anyone know the number for the Doctor's Surgery?"
    "Anyone know the number for 999?"
    If you can update your status, you can search for a telephone number. The above are desperate, attention seeking posts and require nothing more than the obligatory "Why what's up hun?" or "Hope everything's okay hunnii" or "I'm here if you need me hon" or... oh I can't be bothered but I know you know what I mean.
    "Today I will be mostly..." and "...that is all."
    These overused phrases appear to have replaced the nation's obsession with the word "random" which was badly overused for a couple of years by thousands of people who had never bothered to look up the definition of the word. It's a cocky and seemingly disinterested way of telling people what you're doing. Honestly, if you're that blasé about it, keep it to yourself.
    "I would like to take this opportunity to wish Rihanna a happy 3rd birthday. Congratulations sweetie we are so proud of you. Love from Mum, Dad, Kev, Nana, Grandpa and Carol next door x"
    Can baby Rihanna read? Does she have a Facebook account? "I'd like to take this opportunity"? Have you really been so busy that this is the only chance you've had to wish your daughter a happy birthday is through a Facebook account she can't read and has no access to?
    See also: "Shakira, we have just been to your school open evening and your teacher said that you are the best in the whole school at absolutely everything. We are so proud of you. Love from Mum, Dad, Kev, Nana, Grandpa and Carol next door x"
    Oh, stop showing off!
    "Well Nana, it's been 7 years today since you died..."
    Nana didn't use Facebook when she was alive so the chance of her being able to read this when she's been dead for seven years are pretty slim.
    "#Bored.com"
    For starters, why do people use hashtag on Facebook? It's completely superfluous and then there is nothing more boring than someone who is bored and nothing more criminal than sticking a .com after a word to describe your feelings.
    "Rate me"
    This is the dangerous one. Mainly because it encourages users to post pictures of themselves in their new clothes or hardly any clothes and then asks friends to rate the pictures and their figures. The problem here is users are appealing to their "friends" if you look awful they're not going to tell you because they're your friend and they don't want to upset you. So no matter how hideous you look, people will click "LIKE" and they will comment with things like "Beautiful Hunniiiiii".
    Blatant vanity and a desperate appeal for compliments seems to carry absolutely no shame whatsoever and adding "I hate this picture" to the posted image won't fool anyone. If you genuinely hated it, you would press delete. Well done Facebook, you've created a monster, and a bloody ugly one to boot!
    There are over 988,968 words in the English language but look at the above. You know someone who has used one, more or all of them or you yourself are guilty. I've not even touched upon the countless people who want you to know where they are, who they're with and what an "AMAAAAAZEBALLS" time they're having. Genuinely "good-time" situations have no place on Facebook as the thought of updating your status just wouldn't occur to you.
    So, stop competing with your "friends", showing off and shamelessly seeking attention. Close down your Facebook account, get out there, live your life and remember how to have a REALLY good time with REAL people and If you happen to feel like you still need the occasional spurt of validation, you can always Instagram the shit out of your dinner, you're bound to get a "like" and maybe even a #nom. Don't get me started on NOM!

  8. #8
    International Mrs Steve R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Barry
    Posts
    28,301
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    I didn't write this by the way.....

    It's all one big competition, it's the Hunger Games of photographs and hyperbole and the modern day equivalent of gossiping over the garden fence and keeping up with the Joneses or Kardashiwotnots. Here are a few of the statuses responsible for the degeneration Facebook.
    "Click 'Like' if..."
    ...You've lost someone to cancer, you want to find a cure for cancer, you love your daughter, you love your kids, you enjoy breathing, you like clicking like etc. Stop clicking like and fill a bag with old clothes and take it to a charity shop, give money to cancer research, tell your kids you love them to their face. Save the tip of your index finger and do something that will actually make a real difference.
    "Time for a bubble bath and a large glass of champers methinks."
    The word 'methinks' only ever appears on Facebook and is only ever used orally in those bizarre baby brothels where perverted old men go to wear nappies and get their bums wiped by an overweight prostitute in massive 80s glasses. Statuses like this allude to a lavish lifestyle, a lifestyle created by gossip magazines and Sex and the City, this is not how real people live their lives. In fact the truth behind this status is probably "Time for a quick flannel wash and a glass of Lambrini" but that wouldn't impress your "friends" would it?
    "Anyone know the number for the Doctor's Surgery?"
    "Anyone know the number for 999?"
    If you can update your status, you can search for a telephone number. The above are desperate, attention seeking posts and require nothing more than the obligatory "Why what's up hun?" or "Hope everything's okay hunnii" or "I'm here if you need me hon" or... oh I can't be bothered but I know you know what I mean.
    "Today I will be mostly..." and "...that is all."
    These overused phrases appear to have replaced the nation's obsession with the word "random" which was badly overused for a couple of years by thousands of people who had never bothered to look up the definition of the word. It's a cocky and seemingly disinterested way of telling people what you're doing. Honestly, if you're that blasé about it, keep it to yourself.
    "I would like to take this opportunity to wish Rihanna a happy 3rd birthday. Congratulations sweetie we are so proud of you. Love from Mum, Dad, Kev, Nana, Grandpa and Carol next door x"
    Can baby Rihanna read? Does she have a Facebook account? "I'd like to take this opportunity"? Have you really been so busy that this is the only chance you've had to wish your daughter a happy birthday is through a Facebook account she can't read and has no access to?
    See also: "Shakira, we have just been to your school open evening and your teacher said that you are the best in the whole school at absolutely everything. We are so proud of you. Love from Mum, Dad, Kev, Nana, Grandpa and Carol next door x"
    Oh, stop showing off!
    "Well Nana, it's been 7 years today since you died..."
    Nana didn't use Facebook when she was alive so the chance of her being able to read this when she's been dead for seven years are pretty slim.
    "#Bored.com"
    For starters, why do people use hashtag on Facebook? It's completely superfluous and then there is nothing more boring than someone who is bored and nothing more criminal than sticking a .com after a word to describe your feelings.
    "Rate me"
    This is the dangerous one. Mainly because it encourages users to post pictures of themselves in their new clothes or hardly any clothes and then asks friends to rate the pictures and their figures. The problem here is users are appealing to their "friends" if you look awful they're not going to tell you because they're your friend and they don't want to upset you. So no matter how hideous you look, people will click "LIKE" and they will comment with things like "Beautiful Hunniiiiii".
    Blatant vanity and a desperate appeal for compliments seems to carry absolutely no shame whatsoever and adding "I hate this picture" to the posted image won't fool anyone. If you genuinely hated it, you would press delete. Well done Facebook, you've created a monster, and a bloody ugly one to boot!
    There are over 988,968 words in the English language but look at the above. You know someone who has used one, more or all of them or you yourself are guilty. I've not even touched upon the countless people who want you to know where they are, who they're with and what an "AMAAAAAZEBALLS" time they're having. Genuinely "good-time" situations have no place on Facebook as the thought of updating your status just wouldn't occur to you.
    So, stop competing with your "friends", showing off and shamelessly seeking attention. Close down your Facebook account, get out there, live your life and remember how to have a REALLY good time with REAL people and If you happen to feel like you still need the occasional spurt of validation, you can always Instagram the shit out of your dinner, you're bound to get a "like" and maybe even a #nom. Don't get me started on NOM!
    I posted a photo of me and my daughter wearing my old trousers the other day, does that make me a real saddo?

  9. #9

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    I posted a photo of me and my daughter wearing my old trousers the other day, does that make me a real saddo?
    #Saddo!

  10. #10

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    There was a post about this on reddit yesterday...ill be ****ed if I can find it now...but it went in depth about how they use not just Facebook but apps such as games to spy on us and see our spending habits etc. They can even record the screen to see how you use certain apps. It ain't just Facebook.

  11. #11

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Now a US Senator is having a pop ..

    "How did big tech come to control so many aspects of our lives?” Franken asked in a speech to a Washington think tank. A handful of companies decide what Americans “see, read, and buy,” dominating access to information and facilitating the spread of disinformation, he added."

    https://www.wired.com/story/al-frank...been-dreading/
    Bots won trump the presidency for the Russians to destabilise the US. There were thousands of bots on Twitter etc.

  12. #12

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Blue View Post
    I'm so glad I got off FB. I couldn't stand seeing the endless posts of shite that people think is important and just rambling on and on and on about crap and wasting their own and my time. So I decided to come here instead an-......ohh, hang on.....

    It's easy if you don't like what someone posts...just click "don't show in news feed

    One thing worse than Facebook is people moaning about Facebook. You have a choice...

  13. #13

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    I didn't write this by the way.....

    It's all one big competition, it's the Hunger Games of photographs and hyperbole and the modern day equivalent of gossiping over the garden fence and keeping up with the Joneses or Kardashiwotnots. Here are a few of the statuses responsible for the degeneration Facebook.
    "Click 'Like' if..."
    ...You've lost someone to cancer, you want to find a cure for cancer, you love your daughter, you love your kids, you enjoy breathing, you like clicking like etc. Stop clicking like and fill a bag with old clothes and take it to a charity shop, give money to cancer research, tell your kids you love them to their face. Save the tip of your index finger and do something that will actually make a real difference.
    "Time for a bubble bath and a large glass of champers methinks."
    The word 'methinks' only ever appears on Facebook and is only ever used orally in those bizarre baby brothels where perverted old men go to wear nappies and get their bums wiped by an overweight prostitute in massive 80s glasses. Statuses like this allude to a lavish lifestyle, a lifestyle created by gossip magazines and Sex and the City, this is not how real people live their lives. In fact the truth behind this status is probably "Time for a quick flannel wash and a glass of Lambrini" but that wouldn't impress your "friends" would it?
    "Anyone know the number for the Doctor's Surgery?"
    "Anyone know the number for 999?"
    If you can update your status, you can search for a telephone number. The above are desperate, attention seeking posts and require nothing more than the obligatory "Why what's up hun?" or "Hope everything's okay hunnii" or "I'm here if you need me hon" or... oh I can't be bothered but I know you know what I mean.
    "Today I will be mostly..." and "...that is all."
    These overused phrases appear to have replaced the nation's obsession with the word "random" which was badly overused for a couple of years by thousands of people who had never bothered to look up the definition of the word. It's a cocky and seemingly disinterested way of telling people what you're doing. Honestly, if you're that blasé about it, keep it to yourself.
    "I would like to take this opportunity to wish Rihanna a happy 3rd birthday. Congratulations sweetie we are so proud of you. Love from Mum, Dad, Kev, Nana, Grandpa and Carol next door x"
    Can baby Rihanna read? Does she have a Facebook account? "I'd like to take this opportunity"? Have you really been so busy that this is the only chance you've had to wish your daughter a happy birthday is through a Facebook account she can't read and has no access to?
    See also: "Shakira, we have just been to your school open evening and your teacher said that you are the best in the whole school at absolutely everything. We are so proud of you. Love from Mum, Dad, Kev, Nana, Grandpa and Carol next door x"
    Oh, stop showing off!
    "Well Nana, it's been 7 years today since you died..."
    Nana didn't use Facebook when she was alive so the chance of her being able to read this when she's been dead for seven years are pretty slim.
    "#Bored.com"
    For starters, why do people use hashtag on Facebook? It's completely superfluous and then there is nothing more boring than someone who is bored and nothing more criminal than sticking a .com after a word to describe your feelings.
    "Rate me"
    This is the dangerous one. Mainly because it encourages users to post pictures of themselves in their new clothes or hardly any clothes and then asks friends to rate the pictures and their figures. The problem here is users are appealing to their "friends" if you look awful they're not going to tell you because they're your friend and they don't want to upset you. So no matter how hideous you look, people will click "LIKE" and they will comment with things like "Beautiful Hunniiiiii".
    Blatant vanity and a desperate appeal for compliments seems to carry absolutely no shame whatsoever and adding "I hate this picture" to the posted image won't fool anyone. If you genuinely hated it, you would press delete. Well done Facebook, you've created a monster, and a bloody ugly one to boot!
    There are over 988,968 words in the English language but look at the above. You know someone who has used one, more or all of them or you yourself are guilty. I've not even touched upon the countless people who want you to know where they are, who they're with and what an "AMAAAAAZEBALLS" time they're having. Genuinely "good-time" situations have no place on Facebook as the thought of updating your status just wouldn't occur to you.
    So, stop competing with your "friends", showing off and shamelessly seeking attention. Close down your Facebook account, get out there, live your life and remember how to have a REALLY good time with REAL people and If you happen to feel like you still need the occasional spurt of validation, you can always Instagram the shit out of your dinner, you're bound to get a "like" and maybe even a #nom. Don't get me started on NOM!
    Bitter

  14. #14
    International Mrs Steve R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Barry
    Posts
    28,301
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    #Saddo!
    :fingers:

  15. #15

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    It's easy if you don't like what someone posts...just click "don't show in news feed

    One thing worse than Facebook is people moaning about Facebook. You have a choice...
    That is great advice Mr Zuckerberg

  16. #16

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    That is great advice Mr Zuckerberg
    I'll try and find that post...im just really hungover...

  17. #17
    International TH63's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Thornhill
    Posts
    13,360

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    I think facebook is harmless enough, but I do feel ever more uncomfortable with the amount of personal information that people share.

    For example, I see former colleagues posting photos of their kids and grandkids and it makes me wonder how those kids are going to feel in twenty years time when they find that, without their say so, their life-history is pretty much published online for the whole world to see

  18. #18

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    It’s harmless enough. If you don’t like it don’t have an account.
    Simple really.

  19. #19

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    There are people on Snapchat that find it harmless to put pictures of their kids in the bath. That one gets me. Guilty if putting pictures on social media? Yes. I do it because I'm proud of my daughter ..but bath pictures? **** sake.

  20. #20

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    It’s harmless enough. If you don’t like it don’t have an account.
    Simple really.
    'Our minds can be hijacked': the tech insiders who fear a smartphone dystopia

    https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...alley-dystopia

  21. #21

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    I wonder how many times I swiped my phone reading his article.

  22. #22

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Bitter
    Or just fed up with sad bastards who feel the need for constant reassurance?

  23. #23

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    'Our minds can be hijacked': the tech insiders who fear a smartphone dystopia

    https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...alley-dystopia
    If you’re stupid and easily influenced then yes.
    Personally talking to my cousins in Ireland and piss taking photos of each other doesn’t constitute that I’m enslaved to some cyber thought control.

  24. #24

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    The associated danger of lying on the couch with a tablet, or propped in front of a monitor is that people become even more sedentary and frequently quoffing the old vino while doing so, night after night.

    I had a work experience lad with me this week. He tells me that none of his mates/age bother with FB. It's for dopey old farts apparently. Twitter didn't get much better assessment. It's all Snapchat.

  25. #25

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    If you’re stupid and easily influenced then yes.
    Personally talking to my cousins in Ireland and piss taking photos of each other doesn’t constitute that I’m enslaved to some cyber thought control.
    Unfortunately addiction is not such a simple topic.

  26. #26

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    It's easy if you don't like what someone posts...just click "don't show in news feed

    One thing worse than Facebook is people moaning about Facebook. You have a choice...
    I did, and I realised how much of an utter waste of time the whole thing is. I've lived very happily without it for a year or so. If you still use it, great. But I'll happily moan about it for now.

  27. #27

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Unfortunately addiction is not such a simple topic.
    It’s not a drug.
    Simply deactivate account.

  28. #28

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    It’s not a drug.
    Simply deactivate account.
    So all addiction disorders are drug related?

  29. #29

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    Sean Parker is a bit of a character with a bit of a past. I'm not sure you can trust what he says or that he doesn't have some ulterior motive.

  30. #30

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    So all addiction disorders are drug related?
    I don’t see how people are addicted to something like Facebook. You’ve an obvious distate of Facebook which you eve wry right to have but I think it’s far fetched to suggest that there’s some sort of controlled exploitation.
    Plenty of people come off it easy enough it’s not fecking Heroin.

  31. #31

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    People who talk shit on a football forum slating people who talk shit on Facebook

  32. #32

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    People who talk shit on a football forum slating people who talk shit on Facebook
    Were we seeing "what you having for lunch" threads on here before the appearance of Facebook I wonder? I think we may have done.

  33. #33

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Were we seeing "what you having for lunch" threads on here before the appearance of Facebook I wonder? I think we may have done.
    Spot on .

  34. #34

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    Or just fed up with sad bastards who feel the need for constant reassurance?
    Whatever they want is up to them.

    Do they moan about sad middle aged men who talk on a football forum to strangers? What's more weird, having real friends to talk to on Facebook or talking to strangers on here?

  35. #35

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Blue View Post
    I did, and I realised how much of an utter waste of time the whole thing is. I've lived very happily without it for a year or so. If you still use it, great. But I'll happily moan about it for now.
    Never had one

  36. #36

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    So all addiction disorders are drug related?
    There is nothing worse than Toblerone addiction !!!

  37. #37

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    Is it wrong then to use Facebook to keep in touch with women who you knew in the past, monitor their personal relationships, target them when they've suffered a relationship breakdown or some other personal drama, offer a shoulder to cry on, nail them and then kick them into touch?

    Asking for a friend.

  38. #38

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Is it wrong then to use Facebook to keep in touch with women who you knew in the past, monitor their personal relationships, target them when they've suffered a relationship breakdown or some other personal drama, offer a shoulder to cry on, nail them and then kick them into touch?

    Asking for a friend.

  39. #39

    Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

    Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Is it wrong then to use Facebook to keep in touch with women who you knew in the past, monitor their personal relationships, target them when they've suffered a relationship breakdown or some other personal drama, offer a shoulder to cry on, nail them and then kick them into touch?

    Asking for a friend.
    Cheers mate , keep it quiet

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •