+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Christmas ad's are in full flow

Re: The Christmas ad's are in full flow

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    My point is they are faking happiness

Like any popular gimmick, people will stop with it soon
    A fidget spinner is a popular gimmick.

Facebook has been around years, I don't use it, but if it does have a downfall it will be taken over by something similar. Hardly a gimmick.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    A fidget spinner is a popular gimmick.

Facebook has been around years, I don't use it, but if it does have a downfall it will be taken over by something similar. Hardly a gimmick.
    Happiness at the idea of christmas will be eternal ye

But pretending to cry on social media I think people will grow out of

Don’t bet on it.

There’s a never ending supply of gullible idiots.

People have been crying publicly over trivial events since Diana died. That's the first time I remember seeing a "public outpouring of emotions".

I watched a documentary on Aberfan a few years back. The news reporter at the time was talking to a bloke who was digging in the rubble. "They just pulled my son out dead" he said "my other one is on here somewhere". He then went back to it.

Showing emotion is not a bad thing, but the fashionability of it is nauseating. It's now a virtue in this perverse world of faux emotions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    I think the John Lewis ad is great.

Simply have a look on Facebook to see if any of your friends are crying after watching it.

Then never speak to these sad acts ever again, thus improving the quality of your friendship group.

Thanks John Lewis.
    You have excelled yourself with snippets of Wisdom of late. This is genuinely great advice. :)

Merry Idiot Consumer Period to one and all ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    People have been crying publicly over trivial events since Diana died. That's the first time I remember seeing a "public outpouring of emotions".

I watched a documentary on Aberfan a few years back. The news reporter at the time was talking to a bloke who was digging in the rubble. "They just pulled my son out dead" he said "my other one is on here somewhere". He then went back to it.

Showing emotion is not a bad thing, but the fashionability of it is nauseating. It's now a virtue in this perverse world of faux emotions.
    I wasn't paying attention to news at the time of Diana, but one of teachers when in school mentioned it saying it was crazy, people balling their eyes. People having more of an attachment to someone in the media spotlight over real life

It is crazy how much of our lives are spent in the imaginary world of media. There is barely a second during my day when I'm not day dreaming listening to TV or radio.

Im sure I read it is one of the main reasons why we struggle to remember what we did the day before

I dont know where Im going with this but I think it isnt surprising some people get overemotional over things in the media...as their lives are more of less lived there rather than the real world. If that makes sense.

and ive just contradicted the entire point of this thread

I wasn't paying attention to news at the time of Diana, but one of teachers when in school mentioned it saying it was crazy, people balling their eyes. People having more of an attachment to someone in the media spotlight over real life

It is crazy how much of our lives are spent in the imaginary world of media. There is barely a second during my day when I'm not day dreaming listening to TV or radio.

Im sure I read it is one of the main reasons why we struggle to remember what we did the day before

I dont know where Im going with this but I think it isnt surprising some people get overemotional over things in the media...as their lives are more of less lived there rather than the real world. If that makes sense.

and ive just contradicted the entire point of this thread
    Some people are engrossed with it all. Other people not so much. I don't have Twitter or Facebook, nothing against them but I just don't fancy them. People I used to work with would be like zombies coming into work..."can't sleep" ....well I bet it would be a lot easier if you put your phone on charge downstairs and didn't spend all night flipping from app to app....

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    There's a particular scene in the book 'All Quiet on The Western Front / Im Westen nichts Neues' that is quite poignant.

www.sparknotes.com describes it thus:

Paul volunteers to crawl into No Man’s Land to gather information about the enemy’s strength. On his way back, he becomes lost. A bombardment begins, and he knows that an attack is coming. He realizes that he must lie still and pretend to be dead, so he crawls into a shell hole to wait until the attack is over. An enemy soldier jumps into the shell hole with him, and Paul quickly stabs him. It is too light outside for Paul to make his way back, so he is forced to wait in the shell hole with the body. As he waits, he notices that the French soldier is not dead. Paul bandages the soldier’s wounds and gives him water. The man takes several hours to die. It is the first time that Paul has killed someone in hand-to-hand combat, and the experience is pure agony.

Paul talks to the dead soldier, explaining that he did not want to kill him. Paul finds a picture of a woman and a little girl in the man’s pocketbook. He reads what he can of the letters tucked inside. Every word plunges Paul deeper into guilt and pain. The dead man’s name is Gérard Duval, and he was a printer by trade. Paul copies his address and resolves to send money to his family anonymously. As dark falls again, Paul’s survival instinct reawakens. He knows that he will not fulfill his promise to the French soldier. He crawls back to his trench. Hours later, he confesses the experience of killing the printer to his comrades. Kat and Kropp draw his attention to their snipers enjoying the job of picking off enemy soldiers. They point out that he took no pleasure from his killing and, unlike the snipers, he had no choice; it was kill or be killed.
    That is a great book.

For any Brit, it is very interesting to see a war from the "enemy" point of view.

The film was marvellous too. Old, black and white, but so evocative.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Good advert that. Believe it or not is never actually seen that as I hardly watch tv...

As for the crying, people get happy about the occasion, excited to spend it with the kids, sad about lost ones, the emotion builds up and an advert probably tops it for them.

Either that or a come down. I've cried on a Sunday night in August watching the most random crap.
    The City?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    There's a particular scene in the book 'All Quiet on The Western Front / Im Westen nichts Neues' that is quite poignant.

www.sparknotes.com describes it thus:

Paul volunteers to crawl into No Man’s Land to gather information about the enemy’s strength. On his way back, he becomes lost. A bombardment begins, and he knows that an attack is coming. He realizes that he must lie still and pretend to be dead, so he crawls into a shell hole to wait until the attack is over. An enemy soldier jumps into the shell hole with him, and Paul quickly stabs him. It is too light outside for Paul to make his way back, so he is forced to wait in the shell hole with the body. As he waits, he notices that the French soldier is not dead. Paul bandages the soldier’s wounds and gives him water. The man takes several hours to die. It is the first time that Paul has killed someone in hand-to-hand combat, and the experience is pure agony.

Paul talks to the dead soldier, explaining that he did not want to kill him. Paul finds a picture of a woman and a little girl in the man’s pocketbook. He reads what he can of the letters tucked inside. Every word plunges Paul deeper into guilt and pain. The dead man’s name is Gérard Duval, and he was a printer by trade. Paul copies his address and resolves to send money to his family anonymously. As dark falls again, Paul’s survival instinct reawakens. He knows that he will not fulfill his promise to the French soldier. He crawls back to his trench. Hours later, he confesses the experience of killing the printer to his comrades. Kat and Kropp draw his attention to their snipers enjoying the job of picking off enemy soldiers. They point out that he took no pleasure from his killing and, unlike the snipers, he had no choice; it was kill or be killed.
    Was that Paul McCartney?