+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pep Guardiola

Pep Guardiola

I know I go on about this guy but he is an absolute gift to football.

If anyone has read the all access books by Marti Perarnau you'll get a glimpse not only on how he is revolutionizing the game but that he is also sharing his understanding of the game with everyone.

Now it has been announced that Man City have signed a deal with Amazon prime to broadcast a tv show showing what I imagine will be an all access keep into the 17/18 season.

I for one cannot wait for this, and if it's anything like the Perarnau books then it will be incredible.

I truly believe Guardiola will leave a lasting legacy on English football in a similar way to Cruyff did on Spain.

Re: Pep Guardiola

Will it be as good as Premier Passions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbPKFiKE4-A

It's worth watching this whole bonkers thing again if you have time.

Thanks mate. I've never watched that (or even heard of it) somehow!

I will definitely be indulging. I watched the Liverpool one a few yeare back and thoroughly enjoyed it. The one where Brendan Rogers came across a bit David Brent.

What Manchester City fans are saying?

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Thanks mate. I've never watched that (or even heard of it) somehow!

I will definitely be indulging. I watched the Liverpool one a few yeare back and thoroughly enjoyed it. The one where Brendan Rogers came across a bit David Brent.
    Rodgers was so Brent! The envelope thing was so odd.

Cheers for the Premier Passion links. Made my way through 4 episodes in one evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Blue View Post
    Cheers for the Premier Passion links. Made my way through 4 episodes in one evening.
    You must be mad

Nothing will ever match the charm, wisdom, enthusiasm, positivity, intelligence and articulacy that Peter Reid showed in the fly-on-the-wall documentary a number of years back.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    You must be mad
    Haha mad and bored on a Friday night! Watching Peter Reid and listening to his raspy voice is the perfect inspiration for playing Football Manager.

Don't watch episode 5, they get relegated!

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Don't watch episode 5, they get relegated!
    Too late ;) Currently watching the fiasco with the opening match against Ajax. And watching the fans looking on at Roker Park for the last time brought back memories of that final game at Ipswich at Ninian. That was a tragic day for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Nothing will ever match the charm, wisdom, enthusiasm, positivity, intelligence and articulacy that Peter Reid showed in the fly-on-the-wall documentary a number of years back.
    Premier Passions

Too late ;) Currently watching the fiasco with the opening match against Ajax. And watching the fans looking on at Roker Park for the last time brought back memories of that final game at Ipswich at Ninian. That was a tragic day for me.
    Not for me, I got a plastic football to take home.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Not for me, I got a plastic football to take home.
    Lucky sod! I had my eye on taking the 'No alcohol beyond this point' sign from the entrance to the Grange End but I saw some little kid walk off with it instead.

I just really don't get it.

Won with Barcelona, won with Bayern, won with Man City.

All clubs either at the top or with seemingly unlimited resources.

Of course he's a good manager, but it would take an idiot to blow things with Barcelona when it's a two team league and you've got Messi et al.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post

Of course he's a good manager, but it would take an idiot to blow things with Barcelona when it's a two team league and you've got Messi et al.
    They hadn't won anything major for 2 years before he was there though. He revolutionised Barca and did really well with Bayern and his Man City team are one of the best I've see in the premier league. On top of that his team's are amazing to watch.

Mourinho's had unlimited resources at man united yet they look bang average.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    They hadn't won anything major for 2 years before he was there though. He revolutionised Barca and did really well with Bayern and his Man City team are one of the best I've see in the premier league. On top of that his team's are amazing to watch.

Mourinho's had unlimited resources at man united yet they look bang average.
    Not deny he's a good manager. It's just for me he's been on a pedestal when he's not managed a team that hasn't been in or around the top spot - either the teams he's managed have had quality players there already or he's had serious money to spend.

Agree on Mourinho, but that's the type of team he produces.

Not deny he's a good manager. It's just for me he's been on a pedestal when he's not managed a team that hasn't been in or around the top spot - either the teams he's managed have had quality players there already or he's had serious money to spend.

Agree on Mourinho, but that's the type of team he produces.

Completely agree with you regarding both Mourinho and Guardiola. He has spent around £410m pounds so far at City, in the relatively short amount of time he's been there. In fairness even Slade may be able to do ok with that amount of money. Also they already had the likes of Aguero and Silva there

I don't buy that argument in the slightest. Don't forget he managed Barcelona B before he took over a Barcelona in disarray under Rijkaard where player power and partying had taken over.

Ferguson is hailed for bringing through the class of 92 but the players brought through at La Masia at that time were phenomenal.

It's not only the fact that he wins things but it's the manner in which his teams play and playing football in revolutionary new way in the same way that the all blacks do in rugby is what makes him so impressive.

When the going gets tough, Pep ****s off.

A modern day Kenny Dalglish.

Xavi and Messi were in the first team years before Pep took over Barca’s first team. It’s not the same as bringing 6 teenagers into the first team, at the same time, and winning the league with them.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Xavi and Messi were in the first team years before Pep took over Barca’s first team. It’s not the same as bringing 6 teenagers into the first team, at the same time, and winning the league with them.
    Whilst I accept that argument he established a lot of players like Iniesta who was under appreciated under Rijkaard and had to settle for a substitute in the champions league final.

He brought through Busquets and Pedro, moved Deco, Eto and Ronaldinho aside to move Messi into his dominant role.

As for your argument of when the going gets tough I would reply that the going has never exactly got tough. He was idolized at Barcelona and people have yearned for the football that was played during his reign at Munich where he won the title 3 times out of 3 and the domestic double twice.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Whilst I accept that argument he established a lot of players like Iniesta who was under appreciated under Rijkaard and had to settle for a substitute in the champions league final.

He brought through Busquets and Pedro, moved Deco, Eto and Ronaldinho aside to move Messi into his dominant role.

As for your argument of when the going gets tough I would reply that the going has never exactly got tough. He was idolized at Barcelona and people have yearned for the football that was played during his reign at Munich where he won the title 3 times out of 3 and the domestic double twice.
    Germany’s a one horse race mate. Dortmund challenged them for a while then Munich bought all their best players!!!

Surely the barometer for Bayern Munich is how well they do in Europe? When this was put to Pep he got all defensive and prickly, much they way he did towards end of his reign with Barca, and very much how he was last season when things went wrong 2nd half of last season at City.

Not doubting his teams play good stuff but usually when they’ve got the best players, which he’s been allowed to purchase at Citeh, and domestically with Munich.

I just don’t think he’s reinvented the game the way that some people make out.

He’s not the only manager who plays attractive stuff. It would be interesting to see what Juergen Klopp could do with City’s squad, and Pep with Liverpool’s.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Germany’s a one horse race mate. Dortmund challenged them for a while then Munich bought all their best players!!!

Surely the barometer for Bayern Munich is how well they do in Europe? When this was put to Pep he got all defensive and prickly, much they way he did towards end of his reign with Barca, and very much how he was last season when things went wrong 2nd half of last season at City.

Not doubting his teams play good stuff but usually when they’ve got the best players, which he’s been allowed to purchase at Citeh and Munich.

I just don’t think he’s reinvented the game the way that some people make out.

He’s not the only manager who plays attractive stuff. It would be interesting to see what Juergen Klopp could do with City’s squad, and Pep with Liverpool’s.
    I respect your opinion but he has been sorely unlucky in Europe with Bayern. In the first year he was undone by two moments of genius by Messi in the semi final. In the second or third year they absolutely slaughtered Athletico and were let down by terrible finishing.

Klopp plays good attacking football, as does Pocchetino but what Pep does is totally different in my opinion. He has brought a new dimension to football.

Brian Clough must be up there in respect of achieving success with meagre resources.